Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Tracking, Racing, Auto-X Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-28-2018, 02:25 PM   #1
Matt Johnson

Drives: 2005 Echo RS
Question Aftermarket steering wheel question

Howdy folks. New to the forum, and just picked up a 2005 Echo RS 5 door hatch. I'm wanting to install an aftermarket steering wheel, and was wondering if there's an Echo/Yaris/Vitz specific boss kit to do so. I've heard that you can interchange between Toyota models, so would a boss kit for a similar generation Corolla or Celica work?

Thanks in advance, and apologies if this has been asked and answered multiple times already!
Matt Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 05:21 PM   #2
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Where abouts in Hamilton are you?

In currently in the process of figuring out which set up to go w/ for my steering wheel and there are a bunch of option to go with for the hub.

NRG being about the lowest cost and companies like Sparco being on the upper end.

Most hubs are compatible with a handful of Toyota vehicles
Old 10-29-2018, 06:20 PM   #3
Matt Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
Where abouts in Hamilton are you?

In currently in the process of figuring out which set up to go w/ for my steering wheel and there are a bunch of option to go with for the hub.

NRG being about the lowest cost and companies like Sparco being on the upper end.

Most hubs are compatible with a handful of Toyota vehicles
I'm on Beach Blvd, right by the Skyway. NRG are putting out some quality stuff lately. Let me know if you have success with a particular hub boss.
Old 10-29-2018, 09:11 PM   #4
tmontague

I'm about 8 mins from you, I'm near tom hortons stadium. I might run into you on Beach Blvd, my in laws have a place there and we are always over.

I'll let you know how the steering wheel goes, I'm looking at the 3rd gen quick release apparently its decently made
Old 10-30-2018, 05:15 PM   #5
Ronnie V

Drives: 04 3dr HB and 04 5dr RS
I have the NRG hub and the Gen 2 QR. I love them both. The trick is to get a 2-3 ohm resistor and run it where the airbag plugs in to the car. This will keep the airbag light off and keep the passenger side airbag active. If you're into this sort of thing......... ;)

I have another friend that bought one......the "crew" is shaping up.

PS, A Kaaz 1.5 way LSD has arrived. :)
Ronnie V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 07:12 PM   #6
Matt Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie V View Post
I have the NRG hub and the Gen 2 QR. I love them both. The trick is to get a 2-3 ohm resistor and run it where the airbag plugs in to the car. This will keep the airbag light off and keep the passenger side airbag active. If you're into this sort of thing......... ;)

I have another friend that bought one......the "crew" is shaping up.

PS, A Kaaz 1.5 way LSD has arrived. :)
Awesome! I just ordered Hawk Performance Talon rotors and PC pads, and have Tein springs on the way. Hopefully the 1.5" drop will work with my 15x8 Enkei J Speeds! Side exit straight pipe will be happening too...
Old 10-31-2018, 07:12 PM   #7
Matt Johnson

Quote:
I'm about 8 mins from you, I'm near tom hortons stadium. I might run into you on Beach Blvd, my in laws have a place there and we are always over.

I'll let you know how the steering wheel goes, I'm looking at the 3rd gen quick release apparently its decently made
Cool beans. I drop my son at his Mum's place on Spadina every sunday night, so I will keep an eye open!
Old 11-02-2018, 02:40 PM   #8
Ronnie V

Matt, shortly after installing the "straight pipes" on the car you will realize that if you drive it that way you will get arrested.

Seriously, the Echo is the loudest 4 cylinder I have ever heard with no muffler.........save yourself the time and money.
Old 11-02-2018, 05:39 PM   #9
tmontague

Agreed, at least for the 2zr as well. I am currently running a single cat and resonator only and it is tolerable but pretty darn loud above 3k rpm.

Side note - the 2zr has a rumble similar to a subie with this set up, just not as much uel header sound
Old 11-04-2018, 10:29 AM   #10
Matt Johnson

Quote:
Matt, shortly after installing the "straight pipes" on the car you will realize that if you drive it that way you will get arrested.

Seriously, the Echo is the loudest 4 cylinder I have ever heard with no muffler.........save yourself the time and money.
I have multiple exhaust leaks on the stock exhaust, one before the resonator, one before the muffler, and a bad donut gasket. I'm planning on replacing the donut and cutting the system just back from the cat and O2 sensor. Resonator may be needed if it's that loud. Thanks for the feedback, guys. Also, anyone got a link or part number to the hub boss set-up you guys are using. I'm still concerned that I'm going to order something that doesnt fit!
Old 11-04-2018, 03:22 PM   #11
Ronnie V

Resonator will be mandatory if you want to street drive it. Even at that point it will be ridiculous loud. I have an 04 RS that has the Cat and a HUGE Magnaflow muffler were the resonator usually lives..........it's tolerable but still crazy loud.
Old 11-05-2018, 10:14 AM   #12
tmontague

SRK-120H is the part number for the 2nd gen yaris for NRG's short hub. Not sure if it's different for the 1st gen. I used Garage 16's chart for compatability
Old 11-05-2018, 11:32 PM   #13
Matt Johnson

Quote:
SRK-120H is the part number for the 2nd gen yaris for NRG's short hub. Not sure if it's different for the 1st gen. I used Garage 16's chart for compatability
I will look into it, thank you.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:34 PM   #14
Matt Johnson

Quote:
Resonator will be mandatory if you want to street drive it. Even at that point it will be ridiculous loud. I have an 04 RS that has the Cat and a HUGE Magnaflow muffler were the resonator usually lives..........it's tolerable but still crazy loud.
My buddy runs his with no resonator, but to an oem muffler. It's loud, but not crazy. Not too bad, especially as his Echo is stripped. Maybe my version of loud has been tainted after having a 327 small block with open headers! That thing was loud as balls!