Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-12-2008, 05:34 AM   #1
rizaydog

Drives: 2016 5 Door Yaris
Power door lock keyless entry and remote start

I have a 2008 Yaris sedan. I purchased it new about 3 months ago. I could only find one within 300 miles of my house. It doesn't have power anything.

I have been searching for a long time for sort of an all in one kit that would do the following:
Add power door locks to my car.
Add keyless entry
Add remote starting

I found some universal kits on ebay and I thought I would share my finds with everyone. I was hoping to get some feedback on these choices by people who have done similar installs.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=220291639003

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=220244919755

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=250326490326

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=250340598854

I have emailed the sellers asking for more info and to see if these kits will work with the yaris, and if they have a T harness for the remote starts. I am not sure if that is what they are called. I have installed remote starters before and used what I think are called "T" harnesses to reduce cutting and splicing wires. I will post any responses I get.

One option that I still have not been able to find in a kit is the trunk release on the remote. Oh well, I'll keep looking.

Thanks in advance.
rizaydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 07:17 AM   #2
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by rizaydog View Post
I have a 2008 Yaris sedan. I purchased it new about 3 months ago. I could only find one within 300 miles of my house. It doesn't have power anything.

I have been searching for a long time for sort of an all in one kit that would do the following:
Add power door locks to my car.
Add keyless entry
Add remote starting

I found some universal kits on ebay and I thought I would share my finds with everyone. I was hoping to get some feedback on these choices by people who have done similar installs.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=220291639003

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=220244919755

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=250326490326

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=250340598854

I have emailed the sellers asking for more info and to see if these kits will work with the yaris, and if they have a T harness for the remote starts. I am not sure if that is what they are called. I have installed remote starters before and used what I think are called "T" harnesses to reduce cutting and splicing wires. I will post any responses I get.

One option that I still have not been able to find in a kit is the trunk release on the remote. Oh well, I'll keep looking.

Thanks in advance.
None of those kits you posted will work on the Yaris. Those kits are rod-style kits and the Yaris needs the cable-style kit. Your best bet is to go to
http://a1electric.com/catalog.htm

They have the kits that will fit the Yaris and they have all the other stuff you need too like poppers for the trunk. I installed the power lock kit and keyless on my 07 and it was very simple and it works great.
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 05:53 PM   #3
rizaydog

Drives: 2016 5 Door Yaris
Well that's good to know. I didn't know about the cable style kits. I'll check them out.
rizaydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 08:03 PM   #4
anubisx99
here again..

Drives: 2008 toyota yaris LB
go thru A1, I got all of our kits (all 4 of them) from them and they'll let you know if you need anything else...
Old 07-11-2009, 12:05 PM   #5
ecnal

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan AT
Has anyone got any pictures for reference when doing this install? How easy is the wiring part?
ecnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 01:41 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecnal View Post
Has anyone got any pictures for reference when doing this install? How easy is the wiring part?
I have lots of pics from wiring keyless entry and remote start on 08 and 09 liftbacks. The wiring part for these pieces is very easy, as everything you need to connect to is on the column, right below the column, or in the driver's side kick panel.

There are a couple of posts with pictures of installing the lock actuators. That is a bit more mechanical work, but the wiring is fairly simple for them as well.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 03:29 AM   #7
choibois

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2007
Hey i have a 2007 yaris sedan as well and i want to get power locks and i just wanted to know how things worked out for you?
choibois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 11:43 AM   #8
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
I can not stress this enough.... installing alarms, & remote start are a pain in the butt, and not worth your time, unless you happen to have a the parts laying in front of you... and you are unemployed and have all the time in the world... and even then it still might not be worth it.

Most units that you want will be an alarm + all bells and whistles.
I installed a remote start once.... and man, it was horrible... I did it, and it worked fine, but the time it took, I should've just paid the shop the $50 to install it.

Course that was on a 97 mazda... not our car...
Old 07-20-2009, 12:56 PM   #9
fortknox82
New-Beeee

Drives: 2009 Yaris 2dr Hatch
Send a message via AIM to fortknox82 Send a message via MSN to fortknox82 Send a message via Yahoo to fortknox82
Since we are rekindling an old topic. Power Door Locks would be great but is it possible to put an actuator on the Hatch as well? And is that a cable or rod??

I usually have a garage door opener in my car and like to keep it locked at night and dont want to forget to lock the hatch and someone crawl in through the back to open my garage door. Doubtful but rather be safe than sorry!
2007 Silver Grand Cherokee Laredo V8
fortknox82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 02:07 PM   #10
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortknox82 View Post
Since we are rekindling an old topic. Power Door Locks would be great but is it possible to put an actuator on the Hatch as well? And is that a cable or rod??

I usually have a garage door opener in my car and like to keep it locked at night and dont want to forget to lock the hatch and someone crawl in through the back to open my garage door. Doubtful but rather be safe than sorry!
yep.... mine has one... When I had my alarm installed I asked for a few extras.... Hatch sensor & autolock was one of them. Works perfectly, though it appears to be delayed about 1 second from the front doors... a relay issue I would guess.... works perfectly tho. 18 months old, no failures yet.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:14 PM   #11
choibois

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2007
so your saying its not worth doing manual to power locks??? i mean i most likely wouldnt do it myself but how much you think it will cost to install and everything?
choibois is offline   Reply With Quote