Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-14-2022, 11:37 AM   #1
ZinCix

Drives: Yaris 1.3 Vvti
Cranks but won't start

Hello everyone. I replaced the head gasket on my 2nz yaris mk1 but the car won't start now. After cranking it for some time it will try to idle but die immediately and also white smoke that smells like gasoline comes from intake. Any advice on what to look for?
ZinCix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 06:47 PM   #2
Cletus Garfunkle
Average KKT User

Drives: 2001 Echo
Smoke coming from the intake I would double check cam timing and make sure something isn't a tooth off. A compression tester can help with that. If the compression seems low I would want to assume cam timing is off.

Check to make sure you are not losing coolant/water through the head gasket into the cylinders check the oil make sure there is no water/coolant in it.

Picture and videos always help so if you can add/reply with some, more people maybe able to help. Hope this helps.
Cletus Garfunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 04:40 PM   #3
ZinCix

I removed the chain cover and re-timed the engine again to be sure. I was suspicious about the timing but it seems that it's right. I changed the oil and coolant after i put everything together the first time 3-4 days ago and i haven't noticed oil/coolant mix but i did find out the radiator is leaking at the bottom, maybe from the pressure of the gasses that were passing from the gasket so no coolant until i replace it. I removed some injectors from the fuel rail and it has fuel when i try to start the engine but the injectors only worked twice when i put them on. I had them cleaned but not flow checked so i'm thinking it might be them. But where is the smell of gasoline on the white smoke coming from? Spark is also there.

Here is a video of the timing. The stick is for the tdc
https://youtube.com/shorts/fxj-xD7HFpM?feature=share
Old 10-16-2022, 04:54 PM   #4
ZinCix

Also can anyone tell me what this sensor is?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20221016_235207.jpg (230.2 KB, 45 views)
Old 10-16-2022, 10:19 PM   #5
Cletus Garfunkle
Average KKT User

Drives: 2001 Echo
That sensor is a RF filter IIRC its to get rid of electrical noise from the coils. I removed mine because I snapped it. It doesn't seem to have a huge/any affect when taken off.

Since it doesn't seem to be anything big like leaking head gasket or cam timing. Id look for any hoses not connected to the intake. Maybe the intake gasket is real old and hard not allowing a good seal. A vacuum leak will definitely not let the car run right. Double check all connectors make sure all of them are connected and seated the whole way make sure you have a good ground on the engine/cylinder head there should of been a spot for it on the right side of the head closest to the transmission.

Maybe the white smoke is coming from the PCV system you could always just take those two lines from the valve cover and take them off and plug the ones on the intake so you do not have a vacuum leak to check if that is where its coming from.

The smell is probably from the engine not wanting to run correctly and the unburnt gas still left in the ports is my thought.

One last thought Just a weird thought that I don't know if anyone else has had experience with if you Unplugged the battery some ECU's from my experience take a bit to learn fuel maps and stuff. The one ECU can make the car die wont idle misfire shift weird until I drive it for 100 or so miles. The other one I have, will run just fine no problem like nothing happened after the battery is unplugged. I have three and they all seem to run the car differently. So you might have to try and give it a little gas and try to keep it alive for a minute and see if it decides to idle or dies.
Cletus Garfunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 12:17 AM   #6
ZinCix

The intake and exhaust gaskets have been replaced also. The battery was disconnected for a month almost. I tried to keep it alive with gas but no response. All hoses are connected and the 2 grounds on the right side are connected, are there other grounds? I tried to find the manual to see all the grounds but i couldn't find it.
Old 10-18-2022, 01:23 PM   #7
ZinCix

I manage to get it to start after replacing the spark plugs and charging the battery. It idles but it's lumpy and white smoke is getting out from the ventilation on the rocker cover. It also struggles when i rev it on low rpm but revs fine higher. I guess it's what you said about the ecu relearning the maps. I don't know about the smoke though