Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-07-2014, 10:03 AM   #1
Alpha

Drives: 09 Yaris 2D Hatchback (maroon)
Beeping while driver side door open

I have a 2009 Yaris two-door hatchback. The car beeps when the driver side door is open whether there is a key in the ignition or not or if the headlights are on or not. If the key is turned to the on position or running the beeping will stop after moment even with the door open.

There was some work done by the previous owner related to the power outlet. Found a wire running from the back of the power outlet plugged into a fuse socket on the Type A panel under the dash with a 30 fuse in-line. Unplugging this wire only removes power from the power outlet (obviously). My thinking is there may be another wire behind the power outlet it was originally plugged into and if I were to remove the lower dash I will see this.

Any thoughts? Guides on removing the lower dash or something to access the back of the power outlet? I've searched here and general Googling to no avail as of yet.

Thank you all in advance for any help.
Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 10:23 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
To remove the AC panel to gain access down there you pull of the vertical black pieces, then pull back the radio trim and then the AC panel. There is nothing down there though that will affect the door chime. I would look for modifications at the fuse panel area. The prior owner may have done something, like jumping the acc relay, so that the power outlet is on, even with the car off.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:33 AM   #3
Alpha

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
To remove the AC panel to gain access down there you pull of the vertical black pieces, then pull back the radio trim and then the AC panel. There is nothing down there though that will affect the door chime. I would look for modifications at the fuse panel area. The prior owner may have done something, like jumping the acc relay, so that the power outlet is on, even with the car off.
I did not see anything jumping on either fuse panels under the dash. Nothing I saw at either panel was recognizable as a relay to me but saw nothing out of the ordinary other than the one wire I mentioned. Will take a look again and take a gander at the engine compartment fuse box.
Old 10-07-2014, 11:29 AM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

The engine compartment box is unrelated, as that is only constant power circuits.

Check the ignition switch connector as well. See if anything is jumped between the wires on there. The ACC relay is actually within the fuse box, so you can't see it, but it would have been possible to bypass it, by jumping it externally.
Old 10-07-2014, 01:11 PM   #5
Alpha

Quote:
The engine compartment box is unrelated, as that is only constant power circuits.

Check the ignition switch connector as well. See if anything is jumped between the wires on there. The ACC relay is actually within the fuse box, so you can't see it, but it would have been possible to bypass it, by jumping it externally.
Thank you for the assist on this. Will take look at what you suggest and report back.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:24 PM   #6
Alpha

I've looked over all fuses boxes again and seeing nothing odd other than the one wire I mentioned. When you mentioned the engine compartment fuse box being related to constant power I thought I'd see if I do have power when the car is off and it turns out I do! Checked that fuse box and again nothing looked out of place to my untrained eye. Going to get a local car buddy of mine involved and help me remove the lower dash and the housing around the ignition to see if there is something there. I couldn't figure out how to take either of those off my self and can't find a guide online.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:20 PM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
I've looked over all fuses boxes again and seeing nothing odd other than the one wire I mentioned. When you mentioned the engine compartment fuse box being related to constant power I thought I'd see if I do have power when the car is off and it turns out I do! Checked that fuse box and again nothing looked out of place to my untrained eye. Going to get a local car buddy of mine involved and help me remove the lower dash and the housing around the ignition to see if there is something there. I couldn't figure out how to take either of those off my self and can't find a guide online.
Look at my cruise control DIY, linked in my signature. There are just three screws to remove to access the ignition switch connector.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:29 PM   #8
Alpha

Quote:
Look at my cruise control DIY, linked in my signature. There are just three screws to remove to access the ignition switch connector.
Great PDF!

We got the housing off and are not seeing anything jumpered to the best of our knowledge. We are planning to check to see if there is anything jumpered behind the small fuse box under the dash.

Have you by chance got wiring schematics and/or service manuals?

Thank you for all the help.
Old 10-13-2014, 04:23 PM   #9
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
Great PDF!

We got the housing off and are not seeing anything jumpered to the best of our knowledge. We are planning to check to see if there is anything jumpered behind the small fuse box under the dash.

Have you by chance got wiring schematics and/or service manuals?

Thank you for all the help.
You can download the service manual with the wiring diagrams thanks to the Micro Image forum: http://www.microimageonline.com/foru...32-YARIS-FILES

They are the 07 version, but for your 09 there are no significant differences.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:42 AM   #10
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
Not sure how the Yaris key reminder switch is wired, and oddly enough the online manuals are missing that page, but I think you will find the switch is grounded and it thinks there is always a key in the ign. May be as simple as spraying a little lube on the key to free up a stuck switch. Again, no idea how the Yaris switch looks so can't advise further, other than to try unplugging the switch if possible.
Cheers.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 06:42 AM   #11
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryM View Post
Not sure how the Yaris key reminder switch is wired, and oddly enough the online manuals are missing that page, but I think you will find the switch is grounded and it thinks there is always a key in the ign. May be as simple as spraying a little lube on the key to free up a stuck switch. Again, no idea how the Yaris switch looks so can't advise further, other than to try unplugging the switch if possible.
Cheers.
That's actually a good idea if he doesn't find an aftermarket wiring issue. The key reminder switch is a small plastic pin switch that is mounted just below the ignition switch on the steering column. It has a two pin connector with a yellow and white/black wire.