Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-01-2014, 07:45 AM   #253
marauder

Drives: '08 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroomster View Post
So you all are getting 400+ miles per tank? Crazy......

Sent from my metallic purple honami
I never run past 2 bars and I'm getting almost 400 miles before fillup, if I ran to empty that would be almost 500 miles out of the tank based on my average.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:57 PM   #254
trunkout
4 years of P90X!

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan
I've gotten 45 miles to the gallon. Hypermiling and driving 55. What's the big deal? It's even a sedan. It's technique, plain and simple.

Imagine there is an egg on your excellerator and you have no brakes.
trunkout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 06:57 PM   #255
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroomster View Post
So you all are getting 400+ miles per tank? Crazy......

Sent from my metallic purple honami
527.9 miles on my last tank (filled up yesterday). I'm the oddball, as I fill each tank until I can barely see the gas in the neck...0.023 gallons from maximum capacity. I know that because I once ran out of gas as I was pulling into a gas station and it took 12.777 gallons to fill to that point. I know that is 0.023 gallons from maximum because CTScott performed a test to figure out the maximum capacity (don't remember how long ago that thread was posted), and the maximum is 12.8 gallons. My last 6 tanks:

527.9 miles ----- 11.784 gallons ----- 44.747114 MPG
517.2 miles ----- 12.164 gallons ----- 42.518908 MPG
504.9 miles ----- 11.994 gallons ----- 42.096048 MPG
517.7 miles ----- 12.347 gallons ----- 41.929213 MPG
490.3 miles ----- 11.550 gallons ----- 42.450216 MPG
483.3 miles ----- 11.506 gallons ----- 42.004171 MPG
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 05:14 PM   #256
Amdkt7
Returning to Toyota

Drives: 2013 L 3dr MT
I was getting 50 mpg for most tanks last summer. I don't have the patience for it now, I get home 10 minutes faster and still get 43 mpg per tank.

The big trick for me is to put in the clutch and coast as much as possible, try to time traffic lights. Driving over 70 kills the mileage. Short trips really suck gas as the engine is not warmed up. I understand the engine runs rich until the catalytic converter gets hot enough to work.

Also, do not dally when getting up to speed. All time wasted in the lower gears really suck fuel badly. Get into top gear as soon as possible, then go with a light foot.

I drive a stick, and that makes a lot of difference. When coasting (even with the engine on) the gas mileage soars. It you are stopping use engine breaking as that causes the fuel to shut off completely.
Amdkt7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 06:41 PM   #257
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
I haven't lived in Florida, as Shroomster does and you did, but I've probably spent more time there over the last 8 years than in any state but Texas and California, and I've been all over the state. In my experience, your statement above is definitely true re Shroomster's area (the Orlando area). Re my experiences, if Shroomster lived generally anywhere south of an imaginary line drawn between Bradenton and Fort Pierce, I could see what he's saying in his last post being the case (especially on I-75 between Bradenton and the western edge of Alligator Alley)....but the craziness could have finally migrated up his way.

I agree with all of your suggestions (in other parts of your post) re improving MPG.
I like aggressively going slow, meaning if they get right on my ass I just slow down more. I learned to drive in Boston traffic. Talk about horrible jerks. The angrier they got the slower I went.
Old 05-03-2014, 02:43 AM   #258
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amdkt7 View Post
The big trick for me is to put in the clutch and coast as much as possible
- Harder to do here (and impossible to do as effectively) re the pancake flat nature of most of the terrain ('The Heights' neighborhood in Houston got it's name re the elevation being 23 feet (yes 23 feet) higher than Downtown Houston, LOL).

Quote:
Get into top gear as soon as possible, then go with a light foot.
I do this as well.

Quote:
coasting (even with the engine on) the gas mileage soars.
I used to turn the engine off at a few red lights, but I stopped doing that as my revious battery got toward the end of its life.
Old 05-03-2014, 03:03 AM   #259
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
I learned to drive in Boston traffic. Talk about horrible jerks.
I feel for you. Last year (IIRC), I was describing driving in South Florida on a thread here. I wrote something about drivers in Boston being self involved, but that it is a different kind of self involvement than that displayed by drivers in South Florida. That amused another member (MA redident, IIRC) who is familiar with driving in both places (don't remember who it was....pretty sure it wasn't you) enough to subsequently post a reply to the thread.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:24 PM   #260
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
east coast drivers....when I moved to CT in 1990, I learned my first day how fast a driver behind me can honk their horn when a light turns green. I swear they must have their hands on the horn just drooling with anticipation.

ive lived in MI, IN, CT, AZ, IL (Chicago), and Japan. the east coast drivers, without doubt, are the most inconsiderate, angry, unskilled bunch.

sorry if I have offended any east coast dwellers....just don't get too angry and end up running someone down.
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 10:17 PM   #261
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy1 View Post
east coast drivers....when I moved to CT in 1990, I learned my first day how fast a driver behind me can honk their horn when a light turns green. I swear they must have their hands on the horn just drooling with anticipation.

ive lived in MI, IN, CT, AZ, IL (Chicago), and Japan. the east coast drivers, without doubt, are the most inconsiderate, angry, unskilled bunch.

sorry if I have offended any east coast dwellers....just don't get too angry and end up running someone down.
The only part I disagree with is unskilled. They are great when everyone on the road is acting as aggressively as possible in a me first way, and everyone knows it.

They are horrific in any situation where that is not the optimum driving solution or there is someone trying to be nice. Add that to roads that cannot possibly handle the number of drivers on them, and you pretty much have hell on wheels. Now there are always idiots, but with the above mindset you just assume they were doing something meaningful to only them.

But you can call these morons anything you want. The USA would be a better place if 90% of people in the northeast corridor did not ever exist.
Old 05-04-2014, 02:39 AM   #262
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy1 View Post

Yea, the my time is more valuable/the world revolves around me type of self involvement is prevalent in many areas up there. it's worse that way, in my experience than the SF Bay Area or such parts of the L.A. Metro.

In 2006 (?) I was doing some shopping at the little Rye Ridge Shopping Center (Westchester County, NY). I turned left out of the shopping center and meandered down the road. I continued under I-287 and up to what was then (now =?) a 4-way stop with 4 stop signs. This is the intersection of Polly Park Rd and Purchase St. It lies between the Westchester Country Club and I-287. The stop signs are set pack much farther apart from each other than normal stop signs. IIRC, each street is 2 lane and has a double yellow. As I pulled up to the intersection there was some traffic and I heard some honking. Two women (obviously friends) in their convertibles(tops down -- BMW and Audi, IIRC) had pulled into the middle of the intersection and were just sitting in their cars, engines on, justr gabbing away. People on all sides of the intersection were honking and trying to navigate driving around them and flipping them off, and they were just ignoring everyone. One of them had obviously just ended a tennis match (had to have been at the WCC). I finally got around them, making a left turn. In 2007 Tiger Woods refused to play at that stop on the PGA tour. I heard it was because he didn't like the attitude of the people there. I thought about those two ladies in their convertibles and laughed.

Last October I was in Asheville, NC. The particular brand of liberalism there was not to my liking. I got into a conversation in the Starbucks parking lot with another person from Texas who saw my plates and struck up a conversation. We weren't giving any indication that we were leaving. We were getting people stopping, honks, and people angrily asking if we were coming or going. Each one looked unhappy. The last time I was in the Bay Area, I was on BART train. I've been riding BART trains since the 1970s. I was really taken aback by how unhappy a majority of the people looked. I don't see/come across scenarios like either of these in my neck of the woods in Texas.
Old 05-04-2014, 02:49 AM   #263
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
but with the above mindset you just assume they were doing something meaningful to only them.
Yep.

Quote:
But you can call these morons anything you want. The USA would be a better place if 90% of people in the northeast corridor did not ever exist
(I would exclude YW members in the Northeast)
Old 05-04-2014, 08:47 AM   #264
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
Quote:
The only part I disagree with is unskilled..
I will concede some of them are skilled...but then again, so is an assassin working for the CIA.
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 10:25 AM   #265
caruso125
To Protect & Serve

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris
Oil and plugs

I just bought a 2010 Yaris with 52k miles and I'm considering changing from conventional oil to synthetic, what do some of you recommend, and also considering using the E3 spark plugs and K&N air filter, I went to the dealer to ask for there opinion and they really didn't want to say yes or no on the oil and plugs because I guess they think i'll hold them accountable if any problems happened. I guess I should mention that I live in Florida with hot weather!

Thanks Mark
caruso125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:09 AM   #266
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Oil - I'm not entering into yet another debate on the subject
Plugs - there is absolutely nothing to be gained by swapping to anything new or different
Filter - K&N is great provided you have the discipline to clean and oil it properly. The OE filter is however, a fine filter.
Old 07-05-2014, 11:15 AM   #267
caruso125
To Protect & Serve

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Oil - I'm not entering into yet another debate on the subject
Plugs - there is absolutely nothing to be gained by swapping to anything new or different
Filter - K&N is great provided you have the discipline to clean and oil it properly. The OE filter is however, a fine filter.
Well I guess if I try them out and see improvements I won't share if it bothers you.
Old 07-05-2014, 07:00 PM   #268
nortonfb

Drives: 2007
Synthetic is fine. You can get a oil war going easy.
I have been using Mobil 1 but next time it will be Total synthetic.
Why? No real reason.
Good luck.
Steve
nortonfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:21 AM   #269
caruso125
To Protect & Serve

Thanks Steve!
Old 07-20-2014, 02:51 PM   #270
Alec

Drives: Yaris Tr Vvt-I 1.33 5 door
As a new member I'm exploring the site and found this thread. I did read through page one but it would take me an age to go through the whole thing. As a former driving instructor there were many tips in the original posters text that are well known to me in regard to fuel efficiency and I've practised them for years.
My 1.33 VVTi 6 speed manual which I owned from new in 2010 to 2013 showed I averaged 55.40 miles to the gallon during my ownership of it. I believe I'm right in saying this translates to 46 miles to a US gallon. The Yaris gives pretty decent consumption figures in my opinion, especially if driven with a light foot.
After a year without one, my second Yaris is being checked over by the selling garage. Not new this time but she looks great and I'm really looking forward to having a Yaris on the driveway again.
Alec is offline   Reply With Quote