Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-03-2010, 12:52 PM   #37
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUFFSTUFF View Post
It's just the internet. Less of a chance of getting punched in the kisser...
...or more of a chance for companies to fudge their advertising.
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:18 PM   #38
RUFFSTUFF
Banned

Drives: 2009 TOYOTA YARIS SEDAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Hilton View Post
Nothing. You'll gain nothing by using it IMO. But use what you think is appropriate, and I'll do the same. Nothing's going to be gained (or lost) by arguing about it here.

Arguing? You think this is arguing? Senator, I've know arguing for years, and this isn't arguing!
RUFFSTUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:22 PM   #39
RUFFSTUFF
Banned

Come on, honestly, do you think I care about what someone else uses for motor oil? Ha! One day, you guys will figure out that the threads where everyone is a bunch of huggers and kissers have little activity. E-mail notifications FTW.
Old 01-03-2010, 03:03 PM   #40
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
That's the way the original dino stuff looked coming out of mine at 5K,
Well, you either drive like a grandma, or are lying. I've changed dino oil in my yaris at 5k and that shit is black
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 03:06 PM   #41
RUFFSTUFF
Banned

I don't know what Toyota uses from the factory, but I just changed my oil at 5k last week and it was looking pretty good. It was dark, not black, and still had some of the golden brown hue.
Old 01-03-2010, 03:07 PM   #42
captainm27

Drives: 2008 Sedan A/T Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
Well, you either drive like a grandma, or are lying. I've changed dino oil in my yaris at 5k and that shit is black
I drive like a grandma Now, I've heard it say that oil is supposed to get dark....meaning that it's doing its job of keeping the engine clean.
captainm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 03:08 PM   #43
RUFFSTUFF
Banned

Or absorbed some moisture! lol
Old 01-03-2010, 03:28 PM   #44
Sidicas

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
I filled out the little form on Valvoline's website...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valvoline

Vehicle: 2010 Toyota Yaris

I have towed something or carried a heavy load with my vehicle at least once in the last year: NO

I consider my vehicle to be a high performance vehicle and/or I have made performance modifications to my vehicle: NO

Because your YARIS has not been driven over 75,000 miles and you do not drive in extreme temperatures, we recommend Valvoline Conventional Motor Oil for your YARIS. It provides protection in all climates and is formulated with advanced additive technology and premium base oils for enhanced performance and protection. For the best engine protection, consider Valvoline's SynPower® Full Synthetic Motor Oil. SynPower is formulated to provide advanced protection against the 3 major causes of engine stress: heat, deposits, and wear. Learn more.

Why didn't we recommend one of these other Valvoline motor oils? Just click on any of the bottles to find out more.

SynPower
Because you have not identified your engine as high-performance, your manufacturer does not recommend a synthetic oil, and you do not drive in extreme temperatures or severe driving conditions, we did not recommend Valvoline's SynPower® Full Synthetic Motor Oil. Although you do not have severe driving conditions, if you want the best engine protection, you should use SynPower motor oil. SynPower delivers superior engine protection by fighting the 3 major causes of engine stress: heat, deposits and wear. SynPower provides outstanding high and low temperature wear protection, superior cold start properties and powerful detergents to help deposits and sludge. Learn more about SynPower.

DuraBlend
Because you do not use your vehicle to haul or tow heavy loads, we did not recommend Valvoline's DuraBlend® Synthetic Blend Motor Oil. DuraBlend has synthetic additives designed to protect your engine when it's working the hardest – like when it's hauling or towing a heavy load. Learn more about DuraBlend.

MaxLife
Because your engine does not yet have 75,000 miles, we did not recommend Valvoline's MaxLife® Motor Oil. MaxLife stops the 4 major causes of engine breakdown: leaks, deposits, sludge and friction. Switch to MaxLife by 75,000 miles and address the 4 major causes of engine breakdown before damage occurs. Learn more about MaxLife Motor Oil.

MaxLife Synthetic
Because your engine does not yet have 75,000 miles, your manufacturer has not recommended a synthetic oil, and you do not drive in extreme temperatures or severe driving conditions, we did not recommend Valvoline's MaxLife® Synthetic Motor Oil.
Like all MaxLife motor oils, our Full Synthetic formula provides a superior chemistry that helps extend engine life by fighting the four major causes of breakdown – leaks, deposits, sludge and friction. MaxLife Synthetic provides the greatest protection available against oil burn-off and friction by combining our Multi-Life™ additive system with a superior full synthetic chemistry. Switch to MaxLife by 75,000 miles and address the 4 major causes of engine breakdown before damage occurs. Learn more about MaxLife Synthetic.

Premium Blue
Your engine is not a diesel engine; therefore, we did not recommend Premium Blue®. Premium Blue provides advanced lubricant performance for diesel engines. Learn more about Premium Blue.
There 'ya have it.. Valvoline's own website recommends I use just their conventional oil..

Try it for yourself..
http://classic.valvoline.com/crmo/vehicle.asp

They specifically ask for your zip code, and I suppose determine what the driving temps are going to be for that area and whether conventional would be ok or not..

I'll probably use synthetic once every 5 or 10 oil changes, but I'm definitely keeping the oil changes at <5000 miles when using synthetic or not..
Sidicas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 03:41 PM   #45
RUFFSTUFF
Banned

Way to go, Sidicas. Now what are we going to talk about for the next week? Killjoy.

Otherwise, thanks for the info!
Old 01-03-2010, 04:28 PM   #46
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Because your YARIS has been driven 75,000 miles or more and either your OEM requires synthetic motor oil per manufacturer specifications or you drive your vehicle in extreme conditions, we recommend you use Valvoline's MaxLife Full Synthetic Motor Oil. Like all MaxLife motor oils, our Full Synthetic formula provides a superior chemistry that stops the four major causes of engine breakdown – leaks, deposits, sludge and friction, better than regular conventional motor oils.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 05:54 PM   #47
b_hickman11

Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
Maybe you used pre-owned dino oil.....
Old 01-03-2010, 06:30 PM   #48
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
Quote:
That's the way the original dino stuff looked coming out of mine at 5K, and the Castrol GTX in it now is pale yellow on the dipstick at about 3K. Color doesn't tell you much, but the 1NZ-FE doesn't soot up its oil badly.
if oil is still clean, why change it. that means the filter is still filtering, the oil is not burnt, there are no deposits in it, and the oil is still lubricating. there is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON to change oil if it's still clean. i've even gone as far as a 5k check, replace filter, top off and be done with it. and that's what i'd suggest to anyone as a mechanic and having been a mechanic for years...that if it's still clean, let it get dirty. now, after your service interval you'll need to do your checks, and i'd suggest during gas or other fill-ups.

now, on another note. do whatever you want. i'm done on this note, there's more than enough info on the web if you're willing and capable of doing so...
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:11 PM   #49
RUFFSTUFF
Banned

Why would you go through the effort of changing the filter but not the oil? Besides on many vehicles I'm sure you would drain a good portion of oil by just taking off the filter...

But maybe severous1 is on to something... HYPEROILING!
Old 01-03-2010, 08:28 PM   #50
Sidicas

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUFFSTUFF View Post
Why would you go through the effort of changing the filter but not the oil?
To save a buck.
Sidicas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:17 PM   #51
RUFFSTUFF
Banned

Gotcha.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:42 PM   #52
b_hickman11

Quote:
Originally Posted by severous01 View Post
if oil is still clean, why change it. that means the filter is still filtering, the oil is not burnt, there are no deposits in it, and the oil is still lubricating. there is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON to change oil if it's still clean. i've even gone as far as a 5k check, replace filter, top off and be done with it. and that's what i'd suggest to anyone as a mechanic and having been a mechanic for years...that if it's still clean, let it get dirty. now, after your service interval you'll need to do your checks, and i'd suggest during gas or other fill-ups.

now, on another note. do whatever you want. i'm done on this note, there's more than enough info on the web if you're willing and capable of doing so...
Because he would only be out around $10 than $40-$85 with syn.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:48 AM   #53
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Fucking hell, put maple syrup in your engine if you want! It's your car, and you do what you think is best. If that is synth, then use it (I do). If you want to use regular dino oil, then do that. Change it at 3000, 5000, or 10000 mile intervals, or never! No one cares, 'cause if your Yaris seizes its engine than you will be the one that has to deal with it.

But can we please just quit having all these stupid oil debates?!?
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:28 AM   #54
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

I do drive like a grandma, and am not lying. (Black soot is mainly produced by the 1NZ-FE engine when operated near full throttle, in open loop conditions with the mixture enriched.) Nor does it matter to me what anyone puts in their car. I've already said several times that "dino" oil, like synthetic, could go well past factory recommended change intervals under ideal operating conditions. I'm still under warranty and need to be able to show I've been following recommended maintenance if anything does go wrong with my engine, and I don't think oil appearance is a sufficient guideline for extending drain intervals. I don't plan to subscribe to an oil analysis service, but that is the most logical way to determine when it's time to change oil.

As others have grown weary with this thread, so have I. Pleasure yourselves as you like best.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote