Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-13-2010, 09:52 AM   #1
Cutie Pie #2

Drives: 2014 Honda CR-V LX
Question about temp.

It has been very cold here and probably everywhere else, well my concern is I have noticed that the scan gauge temp. has been going up and down every time I let off the gas by about 20-30 degrees, also when it does that the temp. coming from heater goes up and down also. I also have notice in the morning when first start the car there is a noise for a second or two (sounds like a car without a muffler) that has only happen 2 times. Could the water pump be going bad or is this just a regular thing with the Yaris. All is fine after that except for what was mention above. I'm taking car in to dealer to get oil change and will ask them to check it out. Just wanted to know if anyone else has had this happen?
Cutie Pie #2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 10:16 AM   #2
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutie Pie #2 View Post
It has been very cold here and probably everywhere else, well my concern is I have noticed that the scan gauge temp. has been going up and down every time I let off the gas by about 20-30 degrees, also when it does that the temp. coming from heater goes up and down also. I also have notice in the morning when first start the car there is a noise for a second or two (sounds like a car without a muffler) that has only happen 2 times. Could the water pump be going bad or is this just a regular thing with the Yaris. All is fine after that except for what was mention above. I'm taking car in to dealer to get oil change and will ask them to check it out. Just wanted to know if anyone else has had this happen?
yes have the dealer check it, this is not normal

the Yaris should behave like any other car. what you report is odd. sounds like low coolant
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 10:21 AM   #3
Cutie Pie #2

[QUOTE=127.0.0.1;432400]yes have the dealer check it, this is not normal

the Yaris should behave like any other car. what you report is odd. sounds like low coolant[/QUOTE

The coolant level is a little below the max line.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:38 AM   #4
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Quote:
Maybe something is wrong with your Scan Gauge.
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 12:23 PM   #5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_hickman11 View Post
"also when it does that the temp. coming from heater goes up and down also"

if it were a scangauge error, the above can be explained by warm vs cold air mass in the
vehicle moving around during decel....but my piglet doesn't do it
Old 01-13-2010, 12:30 PM   #6
Cutie Pie #2

Quote:

I could see that, but the inside temp.for the heat goes up and down also, to the point that it has a cold feel to it, and the coolant level is just below the max line, well anyway I'm going to get it look at on Friday, I will keep you posted on what happens.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:42 PM   #7
Banned

Quote:
I could see that, but the inside temp.for the heat goes up and down also, to the point that it has a cold feel to it, and the coolant level is just below the max line, well anyway I'm going to get it look at on Friday, I will keep you posted on what happens.
plus an odd sound in engine....possible big air bubble in water lines
Old 01-13-2010, 02:29 PM   #8
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

Take the radiator cap off with the engine cold. If it's not full to the cap with the engine cold, it doesn't matter what's in the coolant tank. The air bubble will allow for expansion of the coolant as it heats, it won't push any excess out into the recovery tank, and it won't make a sufficient vacuum to pull coolant out of the tank into the radiator. The system needs to start out with the radiator, water jacket and lines very nearly purged of all air to function properly.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:30 AM   #9
Cutie Pie #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Hilton View Post
Take the radiator cap off with the engine cold. If it's not full to the cap with the engine cold, it doesn't matter what's in the coolant tank. The air bubble will allow for expansion of the coolant as it heats, it won't push any excess out into the recovery tank, and it won't make a sufficient vacuum to pull coolant out of the tank into the radiator. The system needs to start out with the radiator, water jacket and lines very nearly purged of all air to function properly.

I took radiator cap off and it was full there, well I'm taking it in tomorrow to get it checked out. I have change jobs and are alot closer to home, I only drive about 10 mins to work, so this maybe the reason why the temperature is doing what it's doing I just thought of that.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:50 AM   #10
Banned

Quote:
I took radiator cap off and it was full there, well I'm taking it in tomorrow to get it checked out. I have change jobs and are alot closer to home, I only drive about 10 mins to work, so this maybe the reason why the temperature is doing what it's doing I just thought of that.
nope.

it should behave. it should get warm and stay warm. jumping around is not normal.

a car temp will -feel- different on corners as cold/warm air masses inside the cabin get thrown around,
but the electronics reporting a difference ? that is some internal problem
Old 01-14-2010, 09:52 AM   #11
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

Just another thought: When you're feeling waves of cool air with the heat running, are you going around a curve or corner? Even at moderate cornering forces, the distribution of layered warm and cool air in the cabin shifts markedly.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:04 AM   #12
Cutie Pie #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Hilton View Post
Just another thought: When you're feeling waves of cool air with the heat running, are you going around a curve or corner? Even at moderate cornering forces, the distribution of layered warm and cool air in the cabin shifts markedly.
Yeah that might be it too, but the temperature on my scan gauge will go up to about 186 where it should be but then when I either let of the gas or brake I see the temperature go slowly back to 168 and sometimes even down to 140 and then when I give it gas it goes back up to 190 then it is fine,but today I noticed it went down to 168 when I put it park and felt the temp. inside the car go down a little. And this was when the car was warmed up. The car had never done anything like this before, but I did have a longer commute before.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:57 PM   #13
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
wonder if your thermostat is phuxord... or a sensor is loose/malfunctioning

temp changes should only be like +/- 2F from cruise to brake... most of the time I don't see a change, unless it is early on in the commute.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:26 PM   #14
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Quote:
and the coolant level is just below the max line,
Is this when the engine is cold or hot?
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 06:40 PM   #15
Cutie Pie #2

Quote:
Is this when the engine is cold or hot?
After 10 minute drive to work.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:50 PM   #16
Cutie Pie #2

Well got back from dealer, after all it was just low in coolant and they said with the colder temperature outside these cars act that way sometimes. I went ahead a got them to pressure check(no leaks found) the system and replace coolant with new anyway, they said all is good. So I feel better now.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:53 PM   #17
TheSilkySmooth

Drives: 08 3DR 5M Bayou Blue; 09 Fos
Hope service was free! Replace coolant? It s long Life coolant?! You just said coolant level was OK. I think the lied as usual.
TheSilkySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 05:31 PM   #18
Cutie Pie #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilkySmooth View Post
Hope service was free! Replace coolant? It s long Life coolant?! You just said coolant level was OK. I think the lied as usual.
It was free, well I prepaid (oil changes, coolant change, tire rotation, wipers) for 3 years when I purchased the car. They put what ever coolant that is required for the car. It was low when I checked before going, but I requested them to change it plus it was free.