Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 10-09-2013, 09:46 AM   #1
evo165

Drives: peArL yAvItZ!!
Send a message via MSN to evo165
Best drum brake shoe replacement?

Hi guys... other than going for rear disc conversion.

What is the BEST drum shoe replacement over the stock one?

My current stock shoe still have 30% left which look polish shine. It is time for me to upgrade a better shoe than stock..
1NZ-FE Yaris with JDM RS front & rear bumper | JDM Vitz RS taillamp | JDM Vitz window visors | JDM Vitz Netz logos | JDM leather steering wheel & shift knob | 4k HID | K&N panel filter | Fujitsubo Wagolis exhaust | NST 10% crank pully | KYB Excel-G shocks | NF210 Springs | Cusco 4 points lower arm bar & Type OS top struct bar | RZCrew sub-frame collars | Ultra Racing 19mm rear sway bar & rear lower & center braces | PG Rear 13mm hub spacers | Exzess 2-pot calipers with 282mm rotors | Runstop Rear Disc | SSR Semi-Forge Type F 15" rims | Michelin Pilot Sport 3 195/55/15 tyres
evo165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:14 PM   #2
Neurotic Hapi Snak

Drives: 2011 Yaris 3dr
I don't think there is any high performance brake shoes. Just go with a quality brand.
Neurotic Hapi Snak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:28 PM   #3
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
No reason to upgrade, the rears are just along for the ride. I have three years of racing on the OE rear shoes, and they still look like new - I ordered a brand new set of OE shoes last year thinking the old ones might be getting thin, when I opened the box and compared the only difference was old set is dirty.

On our 2012 Yaris we actually ended up grinding away a good portion of the rear shoe to balance the brake bias, because when we disabled the ABS (as required by our classes rules) the rear was locking up way to frequently.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:55 PM   #4
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
OEs last forever. Are you sure you're 70% worn? They are only like 3mm thick new.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:19 PM   #5
evo165

Oh!! I don't know new is only 3mm thick. lol Mine still have maybe around 2mm??

If that is the case, my rear drum brake seem like not working very good... Somehow during stop start traffic, i feel my front brake bias is way more than the rear.

I did try adjusting the rear shoe adjustment clicks. It feel good and balance for only 3000km. After that it feel back the same again.

Is there any advice how i can increase the "bite" of our rear drum?
1NZ-FE Yaris with JDM RS front & rear bumper | JDM Vitz RS taillamp | JDM Vitz window visors | JDM Vitz Netz logos | JDM leather steering wheel & shift knob | 4k HID | K&N panel filter | Fujitsubo Wagolis exhaust | NST 10% crank pully | KYB Excel-G shocks | NF210 Springs | Cusco 4 points lower arm bar & Type OS top struct bar | RZCrew sub-frame collars | Ultra Racing 19mm rear sway bar & rear lower & center braces | PG Rear 13mm hub spacers | Exzess 2-pot calipers with 282mm rotors | Runstop Rear Disc | SSR Semi-Forge Type F 15" rims | Michelin Pilot Sport 3 195/55/15 tyres
Old 10-09-2013, 09:22 PM   #6
evo165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@SportsCar View Post
No reason to upgrade, the rears are just along for the ride. I have three years of racing on the OE rear shoes, and they still look like new - I ordered a brand new set of OE shoes last year thinking the old ones might be getting thin, when I opened the box and compared the only difference was old set is dirty.

On our 2012 Yaris we actually ended up grinding away a good portion of the rear shoe to balance the brake bias, because when we disabled the ABS (as required by our classes rules) the rear was locking up way to frequently.
Sir,

By disable the ABS function, our brake bias between the front and rear will change?

Base on your explanation, removing ABS function itself will lock up your rear wheel. Meaning more biting on rear drum than before.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:26 AM   #7
Neurotic Hapi Snak

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo165 View Post
If that is the case, my rear drum brake seem like not working very good... Somehow during stop start traffic, i feel my front brake bias is way more than the rear.

I did try adjusting the rear shoe adjustment clicks. It feel good and balance for only 3000km. After that it feel back the same again.

Is there any advice how i can increase the "bite" of our rear drum?
Other than swapping them for discs, no. That's drum brakes for you.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:28 AM   #8
Neurotic Hapi Snak

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo165 View Post
Sir,

By disable the ABS function, our brake bias between the front and rear will change?

Base on your explanation, removing ABS function itself will lock up your rear wheel. Meaning more biting on rear drum than before.
I think he was saying that without the ABS actuator modulating the brakes, the rears locked up with little braking force. You have to remember he's tracking his car, so he hits the brakes hard. If you hit the brakes hard enough to activate the ABS, you know when the ABS actuator is modulating the brakes, it's loud and you can feel it it.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:07 PM   #9
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurotic Hapi Snak View Post
I think he was saying that without the ABS actuator modulating the brakes, the rears locked up with little braking force. You have to remember he's tracking his car, so he hits the brakes hard. If you hit the brakes hard enough to activate the ABS, you know when the ABS actuator is modulating the brakes, it's loud and you can feel it it.
Exactly. The brake valving for an ABS car is different, and when you disable it the balance is off. This will not make the car stop faster, there is not enough weight on the rear tires to pick up any benefit from additional rear brake bias.

The front brakes do about 80% of the work, if you want better braking upgrade the front pads.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:28 PM   #10
evo165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@SportsCar View Post
Exactly. The brake valving for an ABS car is different, and when you disable it the balance is off. This will not make the car stop faster, there is not enough weight on the rear tires to pick up any benefit from additional rear brake bias.

The front brakes do about 80% of the work, if you want better braking upgrade the front pads.
Roger that sir. Thank you for your advice sir. I am on Project Mu street pad now... Maybe I'll just upsize the rotor to 286mm for little brake improvement. Taking the "extended" bracket as mechanical advantage to increase the braking torque, hopefully...