Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-29-2018, 07:23 AM   #1
sunsanvil

Drives: 2018 LE 5DR A4
Is idling factored into fuel consumption reading?

Does anyone know if fuel consumed during idling, either in Park or at full stop when in Drive, is factored into the reported average fuel consumption readings?

On our 2018 the current/instantaneous reading drops to an absolute 0 in both cases so I'm wondering if they include that consumption in the average/trip reading?
sunsanvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 08:28 AM   #2
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Zero IS the correct liters/mile reading when the motor is running and the car isn't moving.

edit: oops. meant to write miles/liter. (It's always been miles/gallon for me here in the states, and never had any fuel efficiency instrumentation besides a gas gauge.)

Last edited by dogsridewith; 10-29-2018 at 05:09 PM.
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 09:00 AM   #3
sunsanvil

That would be true it were Miles per Gallon, 0 being the "worst possible" (when idling).

But liters per 100km flips that on its head, where >15 (or however high the meter goes) is the "worst possible". When the car's instantaneous reading drops to "0" at a stop light, thats not "correct" (if it were, this would be the most efficient car ever made: consuming 0 liters of gas every 100km :) ). Incidentally, the reading also drops to 0 when DFCO is active, and indeed for those few moments that really is true (since fuel is effectively shut off).

So the question still stands: does the trip average ignore fuel consumed during idle, or does it factor it in as fuel consumed during the trip (distributed over the total kms traveled)?
Old 10-29-2018, 11:49 AM   #4
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Your question is a good one. Liters/100km should read infinity when stopped and idling.
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 01:24 PM   #5
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Drives: 2015 Yaris LE 3door 1F7
the new yaris still burns gas when idling it has no start stop just has an average idle kick on and off type deal.
DarkShadowFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 02:06 PM   #6
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
I'm not sure what values the trip computer reads to calculate from. Eg: If they used the injector duty-cycle, they would have a very accurate measurement of actual fuel going in at all loads. But due to fuel quality/density differences, maybe it's more accurate for it to read other values and calculate from there.

You could reset your display, then do a bunch of throttle-snaps. If it were injector based, it should show up there. Also keep in mind that Idle and DFCO may be closer to 0 L/100km than 1; and rounding down because of it (DFCO does still use some fuel).
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 03:39 PM   #7
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Drives: 2015 Yaris LE 3door 1F7
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryM View Post
I'm not sure what values the trip computer reads to calculate from. Eg: If they used the injector duty-cycle, they would have a very accurate measurement of actual fuel going in at all loads. But due to fuel quality/density differences, maybe it's more accurate for it to read other values and calculate from there.

You could reset your display, then do a bunch of throttle-snaps. If it were injector based, it should show up there. Also keep in mind that Idle and DFCO may be closer to 0 L/100km than 1; and rounding down because of it (DFCO does still use some fuel).
if you use the real time MPG calculator on the information display its delayed by like 1.5 seconds at full throttle you go from 30 to 18.5 MPG at 118 mph.

edit anything above 80 is like 18-22mpg
DarkShadowFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 07:54 AM   #8
sunsanvil

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadowFox View Post
the new yaris still burns gas when idling it has no start stop just has an average idle kick on and off type deal.
The question wasn't whether it burns gas while idling.

The question is whether said gas is factored in to the TRIP AVERAGE fuel efficiency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryM View Post
You could reset your display, then do a bunch of throttle-snaps. If it were injector based, it should show up there.
Thats a good idea. Next time I reset the trip, I'll do so while in P and do a couple revs. That will at least tell us something. :)

I dont know, but I suspect that the trip figure is simply an average of the short-term interval readings (the "skinny bar graph") since the last reset. If I'm right, that would include those bogus "0" readings while idle (which might actually be read by the computer as 0, OR it might just be displaying 0 because "infinity" would confuse most people :) ).

Last edited by sunsanvil; 11-01-2018 at 08:09 AM.