Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-08-2009, 09:42 AM   #1
andaconda

Drives: '09 Yaris Sedan
Last Fuel Bar

I refueled my last tank after the last bar blinked fast for 40 miles. It took 11.009 gallons.
My question is:
Will the last bar ever go away -- so that there are no bars showing?
andaconda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:45 AM   #2
PreciousPups4U
I really LOVE this car!!!

Drives: 08 Bayou Blue LB AT
Nope. Last week I did something I have NEVER done before------------I ran out of gas. I guess I just had a lot of stuff on my mind and did not even look at the gas gauge. The car shut off on the interstate (luckily I was able to get to the side of the road) and the last bar was still blinking like mad.

My husband came and brought me a gallon of gas (luckily I was just a few miles from his work) and then I immediately went to the gas station which was only a couple of miles and it still held 10.529 gallons. So that was a total of 11.539 gallons.

As I said, I have been driving for 33 years and never done this before and I do not recommend it. It was very scary with all the big trucks zooming by. I will definitely be more dilligent from now on. As I said it was a combination of factors that made me not notice the gas gauge at all.

Besides with the great gas mileage we get who would have thought, right?And, I had one of my best mpg tanks ever.......36.17.

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers

PreciousPups4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:15 PM   #3
andaconda

Good to know! I won't push it from now on.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:09 PM   #4
schleppy
I love momentum.

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB, Red
Send a message via AIM to schleppy
Glad you posted this! This being my first week with the Yaris I finally hit the last bar as I pulled into work. Now I know that the 15mi home won't drain the tank dry.
schleppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 04:16 PM   #5
POORSHA

Drives: 2008 LB
FYI the last bar blinks at two rates when it starts flashing faster, get gas!
POORSHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 10:07 AM   #6
Lambpasty
Internet Superhero

Drives: '07 HB Black Sand Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by POORSHA View Post
Good to know.
Lambpasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 12:19 PM   #7
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by POORSHA View Post
You still have 1.1 gal of gas when the last bar starts blinking faster, so there's no rush, just start planning on getting gas!

Speaking of which, does anyone else find there is very little time between when the last bar starts blinking and when the blinking speeds up? It happens on my car within 10-15 miles, and I know there is only .5 gal difference between the first flashing light and the second faster one...

Cheers! M2
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 01:10 PM   #8
wiirenet

Drives: Black '09 2dr HB
Send a message via MSN to wiirenet
Funny I just saw this post, I started freaking out because on my way to work I noticed I have one bar left and it was blinking =/
I don't know if it switched to one bar yesterday or this morning.. but I have about 10 miles to the gas station I use, but a LOT of stop and go traffic.

I filled my tank about 2 weeks ago =/ I thought I would be going to the gas station less frequently but it doesnt feel like it. 90% of my driving is on the highway with lots of stop and go, so I guess this is why I use gas up. When I fill up today I will write things down so I can figure out my mileage. I hope I can make it with my one bar! I don't know if its blinking fast or slow, this is the only time I've seen it blink.
wiirenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 06:19 PM   #9
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by andaconda View Post
I refueled my last tank after the last bar blinked fast for 40 miles. It took 11.009 gallons.
My question is:
Will the last bar ever go away -- so that there are no bars showing?
Umm, you were about 2 minutes away from being stranded. Since the Yaris only takes 1/10th of a gallon more than it took on fill up.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 06:39 PM   #10
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by schleppy View Post
Glad you posted this! This being my first week with the Yaris I finally hit the last bar as I pulled into work. Now I know that the 15mi home won't drain the tank dry.
You'll make it, but you're car might not forgive you. I try not to ever let it get to the last blinking bar.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 09:28 AM   #11
andaconda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
Umm, you were about 2 minutes away from being stranded. Since the Yaris only takes 1/10th of a gallon more than it took on fill up.
Nothing like living on the edge!
Old 04-12-2009, 09:52 AM   #12
MadMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
Yeah, so the fact that I've put 11.6 gallons of gas into my Yaris means I was somehow driving on air for over 15 miles?

The capacity of the tank is not the total fuel capacity, I have on numerous occasions run a tank down so far that I've put more gas in it than the manufacturer claims it will hold.

And also contrary to popular belief, running low on gas does not affect the fuel filter, gas pump or fuel injectors on a modern car (according to Click & Clack, experts on cars). Running out of gas is something that should be avoided for the obvious reasons; but if it happens on a rare occasion, it won't have an long-term effects.

Cheers! M2
Old 04-12-2009, 10:12 AM   #13
frownonfun

Drives: 09 Yaris HB, 08 SR5 Tundra
besides what would life be if you didn't get stranded in the middle of nowhere every now and again. keeps things interesting. especially when it's night.
frownonfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:06 AM   #14
The Spectacle

Drives: 08 BSP LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
Yeah, so the fact that I've put 11.6 gallons of gas into my Yaris means I was somehow driving on air for over 15 miles?

The capacity of the tank is not the total fuel capacity, I have on numerous occasions run a tank down so far that I've put more gas in it than the manufacturer claims it will hold.
No, that just means the gas station you used has inaccurate pumps.
The Spectacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:38 AM   #15
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spectacle View Post
... . You're the new king of just making stuff up.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 12:34 PM   #16
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
And also contrary to popular belief, running low on gas does not affect the fuel filter, gas pump or fuel injectors on a modern car (according to Click & Clack, experts on cars). Running out of gas is something that should be avoided for the obvious reasons; but if it happens on a rare occasion, it won't have an long-term effects.
voodoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 04:52 PM   #17
NJBob

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
A measurable amount of gas can be held in the filler pipe to the tank. Anyone care to guess how much? Another 1/2 gallon?
Old 04-12-2009, 05:27 PM   #18
MadMax

Quote:
Wrong-o, sport, that is a very serious crime and every state regularly checks and calibrates gas pumps. In Texas that responsibility falls upon the Texas Department of Agriculture (TDA) Weights and Measures program...

Quote:
The purpose of the Weights and Measures program is to protect consumers and businesses by ensuring that equity prevails in all commercial transactions involving determinations of quantity. Weighing and measuring devices are inspected to ensure performance within acceptable tolerances and packages are inspected to enforce net content and labeling regulations. The program adopts rules and regulations aimed at eliminating fraud and misrepresentation in commercial transactions. Field inspectors perform a variety of inspections that ensure consumer protection while providing standards for the private industry, which discourage unfair and dishonest commerce.
This is done by devices that are installed on the gas pumps themselves...

Quote:
A wide variety of devices are inspected by TDA. Devices range from fuel pumps at service stations and bulk meters used at airports to fuel planes to scales as small as those used by jewelers to those as large enough to weigh timber and coal transport vehicles. Liquefied petroleum gas meters used to fill small tanks for back yard grills and those used to fill storage tanks at businesses or homes are also inspected.
The TDA also ensures that the octane level being sold is accurate...

Quote:
TDA randomly samples gasoline at service stations to ensure that the posted octane ratings on gas pumps accurately represent what consumers are purchasing.

The octane rating of gasoline sold of offered for sale must not be less than the octane posted on the gas pump. If gasoline samples are found to be in violation of the posted octane rating, TDA has the authority to assess and collect administrative penalties against an individual retail motor fuel outlet.

TDA inspectors sample gasoline for octane testing through routine inspections, using either a portable octane analyzer or collecting samples and submitting them to an independent laboratory for analysis.
I am sure your state has a similar program. The next time you put gas in your car, look at the pump and there will be a state decal stating all of this.

Plus, I track my mileage and gas consumption very closely, and if this were the case there would be an obvious difference in the numbers. I have not deviated more than a half-a-mile per gallon over the past several tanks, thus making your accusation even less likely.

Last edited by MadMax; 04-12-2009 at 05:38 PM.