Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-29-2012, 09:18 PM   #325
CodyTheBody

Drives: 2009 Toyota Yaris 4D
Awight, so apparently I need the D3 pins. Should I PM you for shipping/purchasing them?

Also, Pin 40 on the ECM is the second hole from the end right? If so, it is taken by a blue wire, which is connected to Pin 6 of AD4 up under the dashboard, according to DIY Guide you wrote.

So what do I do with that blue wire? Take it out? The guide says tap onto it with the ECM A4 connector but I'm not real sure how. Any advice?
CodyTheBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:38 PM   #326
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyTheBody View Post
Awight, so apparently I need the D3 pins. Should I PM you for shipping/purchasing them?

Also, Pin 40 on the ECM is the second hole from the end right? If so, it is taken by a blue wire, which is connected to Pin 6 of AD4 up under the dashboard, according to DIY Guide you wrote.

So what do I do with that blue wire? Take it out? The guide says tap onto it with the ECM A4 connector but I'm not real sure how. Any advice?
Yes, you can PM me.

If your 09 sedan doesn't have the power package, then it makes sense that you have the ECM pin populated, but not the d3 pins. The easiest method to make the connection is to use a tap splice connector, which you slide over the wire, slip the connecting wire in, and squeeze it with a pair of pliers.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:01 PM   #327
CodyTheBody

Yeah, I bought some of those splices as well.

Ok, sorry man for all the questions; just making sure I get this right. I slide the tap splice over the existing blue wire in Pin 40, then connect the new A21 wire into the splice then squeeze and then carry on to connecting A21 to D3, right? Wanna get it right the first time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Yes, you can PM me.

If your 09 sedan doesn't have the power package, then it makes sense that you have the ECM pin populated, but not the d3 pins. The easiest method to make the connection is to use a tap splice connector, which you slide over the wire, slip the connecting wire in, and squeeze it with a pair of pliers.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:58 PM   #328
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Yeah, I bought some of those splices as well.

Ok, sorry man for all the questions; just making sure I get this right. I slide the tap splice over the existing blue wire in Pin 40, then connect the new A21 wire into the splice then squeeze and then carry on to connecting A21 to D3, right? Wanna get it right the first time.
Correct. And, then the other d3 pin gets connected to ground.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:45 AM   #329
Mango45
I've made a post!

Drives: 2010 Yaris Liftback
I finally got around to installing the parts I ordered from CTScott and they worked a treat!

I noticed the stalk can be very easily scratched, so you might want to leave the plastic bag on until the installation is complete. If you do accidentally scratch it, a little PlastX will have the scratch buffed out in no time. Also, when CTScott says the Torx T30 screws are tight...he is not just joking. Be sure to use a T30 driver that you can put a great deal of force on - a Multi Tool or an L Key won't work as you're sure to break either the tool or your skin.

Thanks again :)
Mango45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:04 AM   #330
CodyTheBody

Thank again. Worked like a charm! CTScott, u r the man. Thanks bud!
Old 08-08-2012, 10:06 AM   #331
CodyTheBody

Actually, one more question. Does the "Passenger Air Bag" light near the middle A/C vents always stay on? Or did I screw something up? If there's a problem with the driver air bag, another indicator light will come on in the dashboard cluster next to the speedometer right?
Old 08-08-2012, 11:41 AM   #332
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Actually, one more question. Does the "Passenger Air Bag" light near the middle A/C vents always stay on? Or did I screw something up? If there's a problem with the driver air bag, another indicator light will come on in the dashboard cluster next to the speedometer right?
The passenger one is typically always on (Either with airbag on or airbag off being illuminated steady). If it flashes then their is an issue. If you didn't properly connect the steering wheel airbag then the light on the cluster would stay illuminated.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:11 PM   #333
CodyTheBody

Sweet. Thanks man!! You've been a big help! With my alloy rims instead of caps, cruise control and new tint, my non-power Yaris just got upgraded haha
Old 08-20-2012, 02:21 AM   #334
monza
I've made a post!

Drives: YRX NCP91R
great info - thanks for everyone who provided photos and information.

I just wanted to hear from anyone in Australia who has added cruise control to their Yaris? From what this thread seems to indicate, the actual ECU on the Australian Yaris' are not able to have cruise control functioning. Therefore am i correct in my assumption that you have to "tap" into a speed control or sensor wire somewhere for Australian Yaris'? Does the instrument panel still have the cruise control indicator on the Australian models?

I'd love to be able to just get this working on my Yaris YRX 2010 (NCP91R) automatic - preferably the kit shown here and not some other random aftermarket kit. Any helpful points would be great.

p.s i did a search on "YARIS cruise control Australia" but didn't find the answers I was looking for.

thanks!
monza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:21 AM   #335
460Dave
I've made a post!

Drives: 2010 2dr Hatch
PM sent

to you Scott
460Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:26 PM   #336
neromaverick
I've made a post!

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2010 Hatchback
Awesome guides

First of all thanks for everybody that contributed to this, you're awesome .

I'd like to clarify, in the hopes this may turn up in future Google results posts, the OEM style upgrade does in fact work on the 2010 Yaris Hatchback USA Manual Package (I'm not referring to manual transmission, but manual window/locks/etc.). Everywhere I looked most people either had the power package, the sedan, or both. For those not knowing what to get, I grabbed this from a post above:

84632-08021 Cruise Control Engagement Switch (refered to as 'control stalk' in other posts)
84633-02020 Cruise Control Switch Wire
90159-50199 Screws (order quantity of 2)
45184-52130-BO Cover Steering Wheel (comes with the hole already in it for the cruise switch)

The post also mentioned getting the parts from http://www.toyotapartscheap.com/

The prices there are a little higher than places like ebay, amazon, etc. but it's a one-stop kinda deal, no guessing & hoping you're getting the right part. Not to mention their customer service is really great.

*edit* Although CTScott mentioned he's got all the parts required for this, as mentioned in the post below mine :) *edit*

Just thought I'd give my 2cents. Again, wonderful guides, FAQs, and people on this board, thanks again so much

Last edited by neromaverick; 10-23-2012 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Updated info for finding parts
neromaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:38 PM   #337
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by neromaverick View Post
First of all thanks for everybody that contributed to this, you're awesome .

I'd like to clarify, in the hopes this may turn up in future Google results posts, the OEM style upgrade does in fact work on the 2010 Yaris Hatchback USA Manual Package (I'm not referring to manual transmission, but manual window/locks/etc.). Everywhere I looked most people either had the power package, the sedan, or both. For those not knowing what to get, I grabbed this from a post above:

84632-08021 Cruise Control Engagement Switch (refered to as 'control stalk' in other posts)
84633-02020 Cruise Control Switch Wire
90159-50199 Screws (order quantity of 2)
45184-52130-BO Cover Steering Wheel (comes with the hole already in it for the cruise switch)

The post also mentioned getting the parts from http://www.toyotapartscheap.com/

The prices there are a little higher than places like ebay, amazon, etc. but it's a one-stop kinda deal, no guessing & hoping you're getting the right part. Not to mention their customer service is really great.

Just thought I'd give my 2cents. Again, wonderful guides, FAQs, and people on this board, thanks again so much

As a clarification - All 09+ liftbacks have the wiring to the steering column. Sedans are the ones which do not if they do not have the power package.

To save those looking some significant money - I stock all of the parts required except for the lower steering wheel cover (which I prefer to drill anyway). I sell the stalk, wire and screws for $40 shipped to the US or Canada, which is less than half of the $86.55 + shipping which that site sells them for. I also carry the wiring parts required for pre-09 Yaris as well.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:46 AM   #338
iacubovici

Drives: Yaris 2008
different ECM

Hello, I want to do this on my 2008 YarisHB, I made the 4 switch assembly, I found the D3 connector but the problem is that my ECM is BOSCH and the A21 plug is different. Is bigger with twice the number of pins and I don't know where to put the wire that had to be in the nr 40 pin on the A21 connector. Any suggestions? And I saw that I have 2 switches on my clutch peddal: on that works when tha clutch is pressed, witch is used to start the car because mine has the Start&Go button, and there is another switch near the stop bolt, so I guess I dont't need to buy this switch anymore.
iacubovici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:52 AM   #339
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by iacubovici View Post
Hello, I want to do this on my 2008 YarisHB, I made the 4 switch assembly, I found the D3 connector but the problem is that my ECM is BOSCH and the A21 plug is different. Is bigger with twice the number of pins and I don't know where to put the wire that had to be in the nr 40 pin on the A21 connector. Any suggestions? And I saw that I have 2 switches on my clutch peddal: on that works when tha clutch is pressed, witch is used to start the car because mine has the Start&Go button, and there is another switch near the stop bolt, so I guess I dont't need to buy this switch anymore.
Unfortunately cruise control is not programmed into the ECM of 2007-2011 European Yaris, so this will not work for you. You would need a complete aftermarket cruise control kit, which appear to be very expensive.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:23 PM   #340
iacubovici

Drives: Yaris 2008
I see, 10x for the answer
iacubovici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:31 AM   #341
FIREPROOF5

Drives: TOYOTA AXIO FIELDER 07
hello i have a toyota corolla axio fielder 2007 , read your diy i think you have done an outstanding job , i was wondering if i could install CC in my car , the ECM looks the same however the spiral connector where the horn blue wire goes in is slightly wider and has only one connection on the inner side , that means how should i connect the cruse wire onwards to D3, i also have taken pics of ECM, steering area etc how can i attach it in the forum or maybe email them to you . The question would be how would i know that the ECM slot no 40 of my car is for CRUISE CONTROL ??

Last edited by FIREPROOF5; 01-23-2013 at 04:29 AM. Reason: addition
FIREPROOF5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:11 AM   #342
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Many Japanese market vehicles do not support cruise control. The presence of only two male pins on the steering column end of the D3 connector tells me that your Fielder likely does not.