Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-18-2012, 10:38 PM   #1
Crackerballer

Drives: 08 BMW 135i
Reduce road noise: Floor or Doors?

OK, so I am on a mission to make my car a bit better all around. By a bit better, I mean lowering it to add some MPGs, adding light wheels and good tires to improve the ride, a good alignment, etc.

I also want to start to reduce some of the road noise. I spent most of the day at work reading about sound dampening. I decided I would use RaamMat and Ensolite since it is cost effective. But I want to do this in small chunks, so here is my question:

If you had to do just one, either the 4 doors or the entire floor, which would you do first to help reduce road noise? I eventually plan on doing both, include the trunk and lid, but I want the most impact first. I have look through Derick's thread and SQLs and they do a good job of showing the install, but I haven't found anyone that says they have done it for road noise. Thanks YW.
Crackerballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:59 PM   #2
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackerballer View Post
I have look through Derick's thread and SQLs and they do a good job of showing the install, but I haven't found anyone that says they have done it for road noise. Thanks YW.
My hole point from day one was to reduce road noise.

One day I had my son in the rear seat we where driving on the high way at about 65 mph and I just couldn't talk to him or listen to him, we end up screaming each other.

Since then all what I've been trying to do is to reduce the noise levels inside my car at high way speeds. Remember that you need to block the noise, The most cost effective way is using a sound barrier like Mass Loaded Vinyl (MLV) this is very close to "Lead" and it's used in construction as a "sound barrier". And be aware that even I write cost effective, this is not cheap!!!

CLD Tiles (thick Mat) can be apply only to flat areas and you only need to cover 25%; then a layer of CCFoam is recommended in this equation.

At the end my build turns into a Sound Quality install, and I did some extra steps on the doors to improve the sound from my speakers.

Other than that it's about blocking noise.

more info about deadening follow this LINK Talk to Don, tell him my name he will help you and explain in more detail how it works.

I hope I didn't confuse you!
let me know

D.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:01 PM   #3
derickveliz2

But to answer your question... Attack the floor and wheel wells! that's where the noise is coming from!

D.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:35 PM   #4
Crackerballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by derickveliz2 View Post
But to answer your question... Attack the floor and wheel wells! that's where the noise is coming from!

D.
THANK YOU! I am going to do some RaamMat BXTII and some ensolite on the floors. Should help a ton. I'll look into the MLV too.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:28 PM   #5
Viperoni

Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
Quote:
THANK YOU! I am going to do some RaamMat BXTII and some ensolite on the floors. Should help a ton. I'll look into the MLV too.
Don't waste money on the RaamMat.
Get some CLD tiles, some sort of CCF (ensolite) and lots of MLV.
2005 Toyota Echo RS 4dr hatch - Cyl #3 bad - sold
2000 Toyota Echo 2dr coupe - The track car - rusty & scrapped
Viperoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:48 PM   #6
Crackerballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperoni View Post
Don't waste money on the RaamMat.
Get some CLD tiles, some sort of CCF (ensolite) and lots of MLV.
CLD tiles on the floor? Is that going to be better than a full lining like Dynamat, etc?
Old 01-20-2012, 03:55 AM   #7
yojabbajabba

Drives: 2008 YRS 5Dr LB (1.5L)
Quote:
CLD tiles on the floor? Is that going to be better than a full lining like Dynamat, etc?
From my understanding, the tiles (to my understanding) are meant to KILL RESONANCE not BLOCK NOISE. Dynamat does BOTH, but not as effectively as having specific components to tackle each sound problem.

Branded Options for "killing sound"
1) CLD tiles + CCF + MLV (three levels, effective in both minimising resonance and BLOCKING/MINIMISE noise from the outside)
2) RaamMat + Ensolite (two levels that minimises sound resonance and MINIMISE noise)
3) Dynamat - an "All-in-one" application that does the above.

This is what i've gleaned from this forum over the past month.

Aaron
yojabbajabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:26 PM   #8
derickveliz2

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by yojabbajabba View Post
From my understanding, the tiles (to my understanding) are meant to KILL RESONANCE not BLOCK NOISE. Dynamat does BOTH, but not as effectively as having specific components to tackle each sound problem.

Branded Options for "killing sound"
1) CLD tiles + CCF + MLV (three levels, effective in both minimising resonance and BLOCKING/MINIMISE noise from the outside)
2) RaamMat + Ensolite (two levels that minimises sound resonance and MINIMISE noise)
3) Dynamat - an "All-in-one" application that does the above.

This is what i've gleaned from this forum over the past month.

Aaron
I may be wrong, but 1) is a true sound barrier system, 2)is so so, but 3) is not true! pure commercialization, this is very similar to (any MAT) ei RaamMat.

D.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:43 PM   #9
coderbyday
I've made a post!

Drives: Yaris SR 1.4 D4-D
I've just done a partial deadening job based on derickveliz2's thread. I did the front doors and front footwells/arches.

In order of effectiveness:

Most effective - Drivers footwell & arch. There's missing factory deadening on this side and the difference is incredibly dramatic!
Next effective - Passenger footwell & arch. More factory deadening but nearly as effective.
Least effective - Doors, still a good improvement but nowhere near as good as the driver footwell.

I've used silent coat tiles (2mm butyl + aluminium top layer) covering 25% of the panels and 6mm (1/8th inch) closed cell foam covering the entire panel/floor at the front. if i used MLV and proper CLD tiles i'm sure i'd see even more - but I am less of a perfectionist :)
coderbyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:10 PM   #10
derickveliz2

YEah! good job!

Wheel wells are noise machines!
wait until it rains, you'll feel a big improvement! (in noise reduction)

I found out that I'm using less MAT and more MLV, I just added a layer of MLV on top of the rear deck (on top of the rear OEM speakers) and from under the deck another 2 small pieces of MLV blocking the openings, used velcro to hold them in place (over kill), the end result! day and night!

D.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:32 PM   #11
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Take a look at Stinger's Overkill product as well.

I swear by that product.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:59 PM   #12
TOLMACH

Drives: soarer
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderbyday View Post
I've just done a partial deadening job based on derickveliz2's thread. I did the front doors and front footwells/arches.

In order of effectiveness:

Most effective - Drivers footwell & arch. There's missing factory deadening on this side and the difference is incredibly dramatic!
Next effective - Passenger footwell & arch. More factory deadening but nearly as effective.
Least effective - Doors, still a good improvement but nowhere near as good as the driver footwell.

I've used silent coat tiles (2mm butyl + aluminium top layer) covering 25% of the panels and 6mm (1/8th inch) closed cell foam covering the entire panel/floor at the front. if i used MLV and proper CLD tiles i'm sure i'd see even more - but I am less of a perfectionist :)
I am gald you like the result.

(my approach, though, is that best noise killer is a GOOD sound system ))
TOLMACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:19 PM   #13
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
one thing i can add is all that sound deadening adds weight. No way you will be able to get better gas mileage when you put in a few hundred pounds of material in the car. Saying this just as a heads up, not to dissuade you. I took the seats, the carpets, and as much stuff out of my car as i could. i can hear the gas sloshing around in the tank.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:32 PM   #14
derickveliz2

I get 42.7 mpg in summer

and 40.2 mpg in winter

with more than 200 pounds of extra weight.

D.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:13 PM   #15
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Quote:
I get 42.7 mpg in summer

and 40.2 mpg in winter

with more than 200 pounds of extra weight.

D.
what the heck, do you shut the engine off on the highway? Thats pretty damn amazing.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:30 AM   #16
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
On a freeway trip up to Seattle, I'll get the 42+ MPG.

Most of the time it's right at 40 for me as well.

Two similar vehicles, different sides of the country. Same results.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:26 AM   #17
derickveliz2

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
what the heck, do you shut the engine off on the highway? Thats pretty damn amazing.
My commute is almost 160 miles, 40 miles of back roads and 120 miles of highway, easy just set up speed control at 72mph and relax with my music.

D.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:34 PM   #18
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Quote:
My commute is almost 160 miles, 40 miles of back roads and 120 miles of highway, easy just set up speed control at 72mph and relax with my music.

D.
wow that is a heck of a lot of driving. I'll trade worse gas mileage for not having that commute every day. I did that for two weeks, never want to again.