Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-19-2015, 10:29 AM   #19
shepd

Drives: 2007 Yaris 5 door RS
The start of this video is a good reason to not use Fram. It's one of the (more than just one!) youtubes where people have found the filter failed *before* use!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRRgw4B7R-I

Let's just imagine their engineering is great and that the cardboard is fine. Okay. Sure. Why not. I'd like their engineers to explain how a gap in the filter media is a good idea and why I'm an idiot for thinking it's a stupid idea. :)
shepd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 11:02 AM   #20
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
How do we know the filter wasn't damaged during deconstruction? How do we know the filter wasn't INTENTIONALLY damaged?

If these allegations are true FRAM is guilty as charged.

But their ass is covered because a defect like that wouldn't lead to catastrophic engine damage even over tens of thousands of miles. What we need here is more research.

Its a moot point for me because FRAM filters where I live are almost $2 more than Purolator filters so I only by FRAM if nothing else is available. Just the fact that FRAMs construction obviously costs less money yet the filters are priced higher is suspicious.
Old 08-19-2015, 05:34 PM   #21
Kitt

Drives: Thndr cl metallic HB 3 drs '05
Send a message via MSN to Kitt
actually, I did had an issue with a Fram filter. I started up my car in the morning and I noticed a weird noise. Next thing I noticed the oil was all over my garage's floor. I opened the hood and I noticed the filter was in the floor. I did the oil change two days prior to the incident, and I am pretty sure I tightened it well enough (I've changed the oil myself several times) so I changed the oil again and replaced the filter. Again, I am returning to OEM filter.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:47 PM   #22
bronsin

I have an issue with a FRAM filter I just remembered!

It was ~1983 and I put a FRAM filter on my 1980 Subaru Hatchback ($4200 OTD) At idle the engine would knock or rattle. After a couple of starts it did this so I removed the FRAM filter and put on a Purolator. Rattle went away.

But I had bought 2 filters so when it was time to change the oil (being frugal) it put the other FRAM filter on. I was ready with another Purolator just in case. Sure enough it rattled at idle but not while driving. This time I changed the filter right away.

I think its worth relating another similar story. ~2008 I bought my son a 2000 ECHO with 117k on it for $3000. The car was like new. The woman selling it drove it to work and back and took it to the dealer for maintenance. But thinking the car was worn out she sold it and bought a new car. I told my son "This car is for while youre in college. After you graduate sell it and get another one."

He didnt do that his girl friend liked it so much they kept it. Unfortunately my son is not as rigorous as me nor does he like changing the oil and things like that. When he would come to visit I always checked the car over. Twice there was no oil on the dipstick! (and many times 15psi in the tires, one of which blew up on him and his gf going 80 on the freeway) Yet when we sold the car a year or so ago it had 200,000 miles on it and the engine ran very well.

So you see...
Old 08-19-2015, 10:35 PM   #23
mimelio

Drives: NOTHING
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIcFgjEikUY
mimelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 01:31 PM   #24
bronsin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFVNESOwLyk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cttLaWepdL0
Old 08-20-2015, 02:27 PM   #25
shepd

Drives: 2007 Yaris 5 door RS
Fram damns itself by only using cardboard on their low end filters. The excuse given that they need a deep well to seal the irregularities in the higher end filters is bunk---you and I have both seen how easy it is to make a cup out of cardboard. Why aren't their high end filters using cardboard? It isn't because of what the video stated, because you can do that with cardboard.
shepd is offline   Reply With Quote