Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-21-2015, 08:16 AM   #1
frdowl

Drives: Toyota yaris 2005
need help with the wheel rims (DIY)

Hi folks!
I wonder, is it real to repaint the rims, without removing the previous paint? The point is that I have wheel rims with scratched surface. Can I take any fast drying paint to upgrade them?
Thanks for your opinion.
frdowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 05:13 PM   #2
LugNut

Drives: 2007 2DR Liftback
I repainted my OEM steelies this past summer.

Took them off (left tires on the wheels) the Yaris, scrubbed them clean using Dawn and then a degreaser (Purple Power, etc.). Let dry, then scuffed the old paint with a red Scotch-Brite. Dusted, and final wiped with Windex; let dry.

Masked off the tires with index cards (and a round piece of cardboard and duct tape on the back side to prevent overspray on that other side of the tire; also the valve stem). Then two or three heavy coats of high temperature gloss black Rustoleum spray.

Let dry, did other sides, let dry overnight, then reinstalled. Let dry for a week before reinstalling the wheelcovers. Look great now!

The Yaris looked mean without the wheelcovers; I was tempted to leave them off.
LugNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 07:00 PM   #3
M4One

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
You can also try plasti dip. If after a while, you don't like the colour, you can just peel it off and go back to the original colour. It does not harm the original paint.
M4One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 09:30 PM   #4
code54

Drives: 2012 Yaris
If the paint is solid, no rust, etc yes you can just scuff and paint. If the paint is bad your best bet is to sandblast them down to bare metal, prime then repaint.
Good luck
code54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 03:32 AM   #5
frdowl

Drives: Toyota yaris 2005
thanks guys, you gave me good tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by LugNut View Post
I repainted my OEM steelies this past summer.

Took them off (left tires on the wheels) the Yaris, scrubbed them clean using Dawn and then a degreaser (Purple Power, etc.). Let dry, then scuffed the old paint with a red Scotch-Brite. Dusted, and final wiped with Windex; let dry.

Masked off the tires with index cards (and a round piece of cardboard and duct tape on the back side to prevent overspray on that other side of the tire; also the valve stem). Then two or three heavy coats of high temperature gloss black Rustoleum spray.

Let dry, did other sides, let dry overnight, then reinstalled. Let dry for a week before reinstalling the wheelcovers. Look great now!

The Yaris looked mean without the wheelcovers; I was tempted to leave them off.
How do you think, is this a good paint https://www.mrosupply.com/paint-pain...908000_krylon/ for rims or not? I have it now in the garage. Or to purchase plasti dip?
frdowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 06:25 AM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by frdowl View Post
thanks guys, you gave me good tips

How do you think, is this a good paint https://www.mrosupply.com/paint-pain...908000_krylon/ for rims or not? I have it now in the garage. Or to purchase plasti dip?
That Krylon would be fine. Really, just about any paint is OK. The most important part is the prep, or it will chip or flake very quickly.

Degrease the wheels using dishsoap (or I rub them down with denatured alcohol).

Scuff up the surface to allow the primer to bond. Either use sandpaper or coarse ScotchBrite pads.

Use a good and compatible (with the paint) primer. For your Krylon paint, Krylon's primer works well.