Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-25-2009, 07:16 PM   #1
watersoilair

Drives: 08-2DR-MT-LB-Red
Red face Where is my engine immoblizer located???

Hello all,

I would like to locate my engine immobilizer unit. It came standard with the car. I live in Ontario and auto insurance is privatized...we pay the highest insurance rates in the country. The provincial government has given insurance companies the go ahead to JACK the rates up - in my case by a whopping 20%. I have no claims, tickets or violations and a have a great star rating.

My insurance company said that if I had an aftermarket anti-theft device installed that they would reduce my premium a little bit. I said what does it matter if I have a OEM or aftermarket one?...I HAVE one...that's all that should count. He then said if I could get the model and serial number that he would apply the discount!

Help!
watersoilair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 08:20 PM   #2
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
change the company he's bs you. Belair Direct just asks you if you have one and ask only for the proof it was installed thats all.

I have an aftermarket one and it cost 69$ installed.

to answer your question the OEM should be near the ignition under the radio near your right knee.

the aftermarket ones are key sense type
From memory there is 3 parts to the OEM anti theft device
the first part is the black ring arround ignition switch
the second part is a little black box locatted under the cluster,
and the third part is your key .
good luck finding the part number's
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:34 PM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The OEM one is as good or better than anything aftermarket.

The parts are:
89780-52061 (Computer Assembly, Transponder Key)
89783-71021 (Amplifier, Transponder Key)
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 11:40 PM   #4
Dave

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
If you're near renewal time for your policy, make sure you check out www.insurancehotline.com too.

It's ridiculous how much the rates can vary from company to company. If you have group insurance, don't just assume you're getting a better rate. I sure wasn't.

I saw the articles about the massive increases last week too. Depending on what they try to do to my policy at renewal time, I might just give up my car. I'm not giving any more money to a bullshit industry that subsidizes bad drivers and fraudsters, while discriminating against good drivers based on their age and gender.

*End rant on insurance companies*
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 12:53 PM   #5
watersoilair

Hi everyone!!

Things have been pretty hectic here, so sorry for the lateness of my reply. I have yet to check about this...though with an extra hour today (clock change), I will have to do that.

Insurance companies do suck...I am with Belair and they specified the OEM vs aftermarket...what crooks!! (and they're the cheapest in my region) :(
Old 11-01-2009, 10:39 PM   #6
deerebilt

Drives: 2008 Yaris sedan S
i dont recall yaris having one. my 08 matrix does but not my 08 yaris
deerebilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 12:48 AM   #7
firemachine69
School'er of hard knocks

Drives: Silver Yaris 4dr. HB
I'm paying about the same amount (about $20 more per month, for a total of about $200), but I did have to switch insurance companies to somewhat maintain that "price tag".

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerebilt View Post
i dont recall yaris having one. my 08 matrix does but not my 08 yaris
Of course not. Our DOT required that every new vehicle sold in Canada in 2008 and beyond required the immobilizer. The US did not. So alot of Canucks tried their luck at importing US vehicles in 2008 when our dollar was at par - and got seriously burnt. Hard to say I felt bad for them.

High insurance is the cost of receiving full coverage and incidentals if you get knocked. Hate to say it, but lawyers and greedy folks take advantage of it to line their pockets, as well as caps on the amount insurance can cost are in place for people who don't even deserve their license for a social-utopian-paradise, and this is what you get. You can thank the kool-aid drinkers in most of the major urban centers.
firemachine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 12:52 AM   #8
Sir A.Y. Atoyot

Drives: '08 5-door
Quote:
Originally Posted by watersoilair View Post
Hello all,

I would like to locate my engine immobilizer unit. It came standard with the car. I live in Ontario and auto insurance is privatized...we pay the highest insurance rates in the country. The provincial government has given insurance companies the go ahead to JACK the rates up - in my case by a whopping 20%. I have no claims, tickets or violations and a have a great star rating.

My insurance company said that if I had an aftermarket anti-theft device installed that they would reduce my premium a little bit. I said what does it matter if I have a OEM or aftermarket one?...I HAVE one...that's all that should count. He then said if I could get the model and serial number that he would apply the discount!

Help!
Just produce your bill of sale, if you bought the car new. That's all I had to do for ICBC to get quite a substantial discount. The various options are listed on the Toyota bill of sale.
Sir A.Y. Atoyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 11:06 AM   #9
watersoilair

Thank you, I appreciate that...I'll call them and ask if that'll suffice. (it SHOULD!!)
Old 11-02-2009, 11:32 AM   #10
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
08 immobilizer is NOT listed on the sales contract. Tell him that by-law, all new vehicles sold in Canada have an immobilizer from factory.

PK: belair quotes me 2500$ for my yaris :P
I pay 1300$ with la captitale. I expect it to be much lower for 2010. I think with my records, i would pay about 6000$ in GTA. rofl.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote