Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-05-2006, 09:08 AM   #1
makelikemorning

Drives: 2007 Barcelona Red Yaris Sedan
Practical applications of window tinting

I realize that many people get their windows tinted for aesthetics. Then, I suppose there are more practical reasons like glare reduction and privacy. But what about reducing the interior temperature of the car during the summer? Does tinting actually do that? If so, what percentage would you recommend?
makelikemorning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 11:20 AM   #2
Dylanby

Drives: RS 5-DR
The AC will cool your car down faster if you have your windows tinted. Also darker tints while allowing less light will not necessarily reject more heat. What I mean is the tint percentage is not the only thing you should consider when buying it. Look at the tint brand/manufacturer & "model". This will give you an idea of what the tint is actually made of.

Tints with metal dye in them are considered good, but can cause interference with satellite & radio signals (NAV systems, cell phones, electronic toll systems, etc.). There are also ceramic based tints like those from FormulaONE which have the benefits of metal based tints without the drawbacks.
Dylanby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 01:35 PM   #3
addicted2speed

Drives: Yaris 3door Lift Back
Send a message via AIM to addicted2speed
Question, I'm from Mass...How do I find out what percentage is legal and what isn't?
Old 08-05-2006, 02:53 PM   #4
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted2speed
Question, I'm from Mass...How do I find out what percentage is legal and what isn't?
You can go on Google and find 100 not-so-reliable resources on window tint laws just by searching "state window tint laws." I cross checked a few of them for my state and found that they were all consistent, but I know how things work around here. Ohio law states that the front window tint won't exceed 50% and all other windows are fair game. However, I know for a fact that if you drive anywhere near where I live with some limo tint on your back window, you are getting pulled over and you're getting a warning ordering you to remove your tint within 14 days. Knowing this, here is what I would do...

1. Go here and check out state laws for window tint in Mass.

2. Call your local police department and ask them if they follow state law on window tinting or if there are local ordinances that trump the state laws.

3. After you get your tint installed, KEEP THE RECEIPT IN THE CAR! If the tint shop guarantee's legality in your state and you get pulled over and nabbed, the installer is responsible for fixing the situation.

There is the extended answer... for a short answer, it looks like 35% is the magic number in Massachussetts. Good luck and happy tinting.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 05:52 PM   #5
El Jefe

Drives: 07 yaris s sedan
it definatly helps in 100+ weather when my car sits out in the sun all day during work. i have 5% on the the rear 3 and 35% on front 2, i use a sun shade thing on the windshield when it sits all day and crack the windows, it's sooooooo much nicer getting into then no tint, shade, and cracked windows.
El Jefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 06:41 PM   #6
Chaad32

Drives: 2007 Liftback
That is my goal too El Jefe.....I have the yaris front window shade and the side window vent visors, now all I need is the tint.
Floor mats, Weathertech vent visors
Chaad32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 09:53 PM   #7
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles
You can go on Google and find 100 not-so-reliable resources on window tint laws just by searching "state window tint laws." I cross checked a few of them for my state and found that they were all consistent, but I know how things work around here. Ohio law states that the front window tint won't exceed 50% and all other windows are fair game. However, I know for a fact that if you drive anywhere near where I live with some limo tint on your back window, you are getting pulled over and you're getting a warning ordering you to remove your tint within 14 days. Knowing this, here is what I would do...

1. Go here and check out state laws for window tint in Mass.

2. Call your local police department and ask them if they follow state law on window tinting or if there are local ordinances that trump the state laws.

3. After you get your tint installed, KEEP THE RECEIPT IN THE CAR! If the tint shop guarantee's legality in your state and you get pulled over and nabbed, the installer is responsible for fixing the situation.

There is the extended answer... for a short answer, it looks like 35% is the magic number in Massachussetts. Good luck and happy tinting.

In my case I got I believe 30% but where I live its 50% so I had to sign a waiver to acknowledge that I know I'm getting illegal tint so it doesn't matter if I show the police my recipt cause its illegal and I signed a paper stated the shop isn't liable. But I havent' been pulled over for that which I don't think you can on that alone unless its a dick of a cop but I know I can get written up if I was pulled over for something else and they decide to write me up for the tint.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:42 PM   #8
makelikemorning

Drives: 2007 Barcelona Red Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted2speed
I'm from Mass...
Out of curiosity, what dealership did you buy from? I'm up here in New Hampshire... If you went to one of the Ira dealerships, I'd be interested in hearing about your buying experience.
makelikemorning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 03:15 AM   #9
TRD_Yaris
Yarii Hunter

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback and S13's
My main priority with tint was heat reduction..but then again I DO LIVE IN TEXAS! second was aesthetics, third was privacy. the only downside is night driving, too dark of tint can make it hard to see...
Old 08-07-2006, 04:33 PM   #10
Chaad32

Drives: 2007 Liftback
50-35% would be fine for night driving.
Floor mats, Weathertech vent visors
Chaad32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 04:07 PM   #11
elsteverino889

Drives: 2007 Yaris sedan black
I just got 5% tint done today love them and will never go back to normal windows, especially that i have a black sedan yaris with black interior its hot as hell living in Miami so it really helps the car cool....and of course "5% tint so you cant see up in MAH window"
elsteverino889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 09:40 PM   #12
TrancosRt

Drives: 07 Silver HB Yaris
I did 20% and I did not notice a HUGE drop in the temps, but the car looks better and feels a little bit cooler than before. Perhaps using a windshield visor will help out. I like the privacy and the glare reduction the tint provides too. At first it was a lil bit difficult to get used to the tint in the back window, but now its all good. No probs whatsoever...
TrancosRt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 09:55 PM   #13
TRD_Yaris
Yarii Hunter

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback and S13's
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsteverino889
I just got 5% tint done today love them and will never go back to normal windows, especially that i have a black sedan yaris with black interior its hot as hell living in Miami so it really helps the car cool....and of course "5% tint so you cant see up in MAH window"
The darkness of the tint doesn't NECESSARILY affect the heat blocking properties. Visual light and radiant heat are "kinda" blocked in different ways.

As far as tint goes, WHAT TYPE DID YOU GUYS GET? did you get the basic DYED tint, or semi-metallic/DYED, or THE PIMP: CERAMIC.. <---All three look the same (in respect to their 5%, 20%,35%,50%), but the DYED will start to turn purple in 3+ years, the semi-metallic/DYED blocks a bit more heat and lasts a few years longer, and the Ceramic blocks HELLATIOUS HEAT (also called Carbon, I believe, since i've heard multiple TINT/AUDIO guys refer to it as both, though they could've just confused me)!

I went with the Semi-Metallic, since i was mainly interested in heat reduction, and I didn't want to spend $400!! I used an EXTREMELY reputable shop (Mother's Window Tint here in Austin, Texas. They have MANY shops), but they messed up a few windows. Until they fix (or F*** me) I can't say if I'm "HAPPY" with it or not. I hate when they use paint to fill in little spots they SCREWED UP . My little door windows are TERRIBLE, they have atleast 1 square inch of tint missing at each corner!! I TOLD THEM THEY BETTER redo it, but I haven't had the time to mess with it.

BTW, i went with the Legal Limit tint for the side windows, and the same tint strength for the back window (could've gone much darker, but I kinda wanna be able to SEE people behind me at night).
Old 08-10-2006, 10:01 PM   #14
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
I had the Ceramic put in while in Minniapolis...35% and my car stays niec and cool even when it was 90+ (listen...I live in Maine...90+ here is like 105+ elsewhere). I paid 290 for mine with a long warranty, But same as Echo I had to sign a waiver which was no biggie because if I get nailed it isn't like I am going to drive 2k miles back to the Cities to have it adjusted.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote