Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > California
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-10-2010, 10:51 AM   #1
daddz07

Drives: Yaris 2008
Send a message via Yahoo to daddz07
Tein S-tech Springs with Stock shocks combination.

Tein S-tech Springs with Stock shocks combination.
Hi to all!!

I am quite new to this forum and i bought my car since 07/08. I am kind of late to be a member. Anyway, I have an inquiry about suspension which is i know it is been a question by many already. I really want to make sure before i proceed.

What can you say about using The Tein S-tech lowering springs with the stock shocks?? Right now, i dont have the budget to buy the shocks yet but, I already have the springs. Although, i bought the springs used roughly 2 years old one of the members here?

1) Is the springs to soft or to bumpy if i use the stock shocks with this springs?
2) Does tein S-tech springs sag a lot??
3) Are the stock shocks a good combination for the TST springs? or a must that i buy a new shocks?
4) do they last? becauseby the time i bought the shocks, teh springs is no longer good?
5)what can you advise will be the best shocks that i can buy that is really good to the budget for a bum like me which of course can deliver long lasting performance.

Appreciate all your feedback in advance guys!!
daddz07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:33 PM   #2
2007tRD
CERTIFIED ASE/SUBARU TECH

Drives: 2007 VIOS S
I can give you info on what i have experienced so far. I have not used the Tein springs yet,but i have used eibach and H&R springs with stock struts.The stock strut performance deminishes at an accelerated rate when lowering springs are used.The only possitive is the higher spring rate,keeping the car more stable.I purchased KYB struts to go with the H&R springs,thats when the suspension became completely different.The performance struts are designed to be used at lower ride hights and utilize performance valving.
2007tRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:43 PM   #3
Pur_Blu

Drives: NCVC craziest
Send a message via AIM to Pur_Blu Send a message via Yahoo to Pur_Blu
I've got that setup now... The teins work well but like trd said stock shocks well out a lot faster. I lowered my car back when it had 250miles on it new and now im around 44k now and they're not blown. hope that helps

-ride is a lil stiffer then most other springs on the market (tigertec)
-acceleration sag is reduced
-me 44k stock shocks still good
-springs dont wear down over time if anything they are built to last longer then stock
-Kyb shocks are oem replacements, tokico blues are upgraded for lower cars and tokico hts are for more aggressive shocks (auto cross/race)

All of which can be purchased at Micro Image Online
Pur_Blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 12:51 AM   #4
daddz07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pur_Blu View Post
I've got that setup now... The teins work well but like trd said stock shocks well out a lot faster. I lowered my car back when it had 250miles on it new and now im around 44k now and they're not blown. hope that helps

-ride is a lil stiffer then most other springs on the market (tigertec)
-acceleration sag is reduced
-me 44k stock shocks still good
-springs dont wear down over time if anything they are built to last longer then stock
-Kyb shocks are oem replacements, tokico blues are upgraded for lower cars and tokico hts are for more aggressive shocks (auto cross/race)

All of which can be purchased at Micro Image Online
I guess since you have the ST from 250 miles and now 44k and still ok, i guess they went well together from the beginning. I have 17k and now i will add the ST over my stock, i think that will be the time my stock shock will start to wear out. Guys you are the best!! I guess in need to wait for more time to save and buy set of TB or KYB or any performance shocks to match the Spring. Anyway my spring is used and are 2 years old. I think it is still ok.

Again guys thanks for the help!!
Old 08-13-2010, 12:53 AM   #5
daddz07

but who is Garm??
Old 08-13-2010, 01:12 AM   #6
2007tRD

The TRD struts/shocks are made by KYB,and reasonably priced at TRDsparks.Micro Image has the Tokico "Blues" for a significantly less cost.Both are highly recomended and will change your driving experience completely.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:23 AM   #7
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
thanks guys, I do keep the Tokico blues in stock.

another point is that doing the struts/shocks later means all the work over again. It's a lot easier to do it all at once, but I understand when people choose to do one step at a time.

Micro Image = Garm = me
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 12:19 PM   #8
2007tRD

Dont forget those camber bolts,Tein's S-Techs drop is 1.9".The Eibach springs are 1.2" and put my rear camber at -13 degrees,enought to wear down the inside edge of the rear tires in about 15k miles.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:07 AM   #9
daddz07

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
thanks guys, I do keep the Tokico blues in stock.

another point is that doing the struts/shocks later means all the work over again. It's a lot easier to do it all at once, but I understand when people choose to do one step at a time.

Micro Image = Garm = me

Garm quote me please for the shock!! Thanks!!
Old 08-21-2010, 12:37 PM   #10
Crims0n5
Need More Mods!

Drives: 09 Flint Mica S Sedan!
Send a message via AIM to Crims0n5
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddz07 View Post
Garm quote me please for the shock!! Thanks!!
I believe this is what you were looking for

http://shop.microimageonline.com/Shocks-Struts_c21.htm

Giggity, Giggity
Crims0n5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 01:12 PM   #11
yarrr
Banned

Drives: 07 sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007tRD View Post
Dont forget those camber bolts,Tein's S-Techs drop is 1.9".The Eibach springs are 1.2" and put my rear camber at -13 degrees,enought to wear down the inside edge of the rear tires in about 15k miles.
-13 degrees? wow

and any tire/spring/shock/camber combo will wear prematurely if you wait 15k miles to rotate.
yarrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 01:49 PM   #12
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
put my rear camber at -13 degrees,enought to wear down the inside edge of the rear tires in about 15k miles.
That's pretty funny. And impossible.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote