Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-09-2014, 08:23 AM   #1
marcar72

Drives: 2014 Yaris L 5spd
2nd Generation Yaris Recall...

... http://www.news.com.au/finance/busin...-1226879072179
marcar72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:45 AM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
New Massive Recall

Anybody know anything more about this?

Toyota to recall nearly 6.5 million vehicles for steering, other faults

By Chang-Ran Kim

TOKYO (Reuters) - Toyota Motor Corp, in its second-largest recall announcement, said on Wednesday that it would call back 6.39 million vehicles globally after uncovering five different faults involving parts ranging from steering to seats.

The world's biggest automaker said it was not aware of any crashes or injuries caused by the glitches, which were found in 27 Toyota models including the RAV4 and Yaris subcompact.

Toyota said faults were also found in the Pontiac Vibe and the Subaru Trezia, two models the automaker built for General Motors and Fuji Heavy Industries.

The automaker did not say now much the recalls would cost, and it was not clear if the faults stemmed from Toyota's suppliers or its manufacturing process.

The move by Toyota to announce five different recalls on a single day from Tokyo comes as major automakers face increasing scrutiny in the United States on how quickly they take preventive safety action and how quickly they share information with regulators and the public.

Toyota agreed last month to pay $1.2 billion to the U.S. government for withholding information related to unintended acceleration in its vehicles. That safety crisis had caused Toyota to recall more than 9 million vehicles.

In a high-profile case that has the potential to change U.S. safety regulation, Toyota rival General Motors is under investigation for failing to act on a known ignition switch defect linked to a dozen deaths. The company has recalled 1.6 million vehicles over the issue.

In the largest of the recalls announced on Wednesday, Toyota said some 3.5 million vehicles were being recalled to replace a spiral cable that could be damaged when the steering wheel is turned. That could cause the air bag to fail in the event of a crash, the automaker said.

In total, about 2.34 million of the vehicles to be recalled were sold in North America. Another 810,000 were sold in Europe.

In the second-largest of the Toyota recalls, some 2.32 million three-door models made between January 2005 and August 2010 are being recalled to check for a fault in the seat rails that could cause the seat to slide forward in a crash, risking injury for the driver or passengers.

The other recalls are for faulty steering column brackets, windshield wiper motors and engine starters.

The recall announcement, which came during late afternoon Tokyo trade, knocked an additional 2 percent off Toyota's already sagging shares.

They quickly pared the extra losses, however, and ended down 3 percent at 5,450 yen, reflecting an overall weak tone in the market where the benchmark Nikkei average fell 2.1 percent.

Toyota's 6.39 million vehicle recall is the largest announced on a single day for the company since October 2012, when it called back 7.43 million Yaris, Corolla and other models to fix faulty power window switches.

In the first two months of 2014, major automakers had announced 18 separate recalls in the United States, now the second-largest auto market behind China, according to the latest data compiled by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

The recent wave of large-scale recalls represents a source of revenue for auto dealers who are paid by manufacturers to service defective cars.

(Reporting by Andreas Cremer in BERLIN, Laurence Frost in PARIS and Chang-Ran Kim in TOKYO; Editing by Miral Fahmy and Ryan Woo)
Old 04-09-2014, 09:15 AM   #3
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
This recall stuff is going completely nuts IMHO.

You know the 13 deaths "caused" by defective ignition switches on GM cars? That involves 3 million vehicles. Im sorry for the grief to the families but that is statistically insignificant.

We dont even know if the people who died actually caused the accident!

You want liability issues? You want safety cluster (blanks)? For 10 years now the state of NJ does not inspect cars.

Thats right! How many deaths has that caused?
Old 04-09-2014, 09:29 AM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
^LOL. That is very true. CT has not done safety inspections for about 30 years now.

For the recalls the Toyota owners site (where you can check your VIN) has been down for maintenance this morning, but it sounds like for the US market Yaris that it is just for the clockspring potentially failing, and as a few people on here have had that happen it will at least save others on the cost to replace it.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:35 AM   #5
DebbyM46227

Drives: 2017 Yaris IA, Pulse Red, Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
You want liability issues? You want safety cluster (blanks)? For 10 years now the state of NJ does not inspect cars.

Thats right! How many deaths has that caused?
I think the last time Indiana had a car inspection requirement was the early 1970's. You should see some of the junk being driven.
DebbyM46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:48 AM   #6
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyM46227 View Post
I think the last time Indiana had a car inspection requirement was the early 1970's. You should see some of the junk being driven.

I used to be a car mechanic so I have seen how far people let their cars go before having them fixed.

And many times they dont have any idea something may be wrong.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:52 AM   #7
DebbyM46227

Drives: 2017 Yaris IA, Pulse Red, Auto
Not only that, but bumpers and things fastened on with duct tape and wire. The list goes on and on.
DebbyM46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:52 AM   #8
_--Ville--_

Drives: Toyota Yaris 1.4D-4D
I still think that these recalls are good thing for so long as they are free. At least here in Finland they are. This means that the manufacturer is ready to take responsibility for their work, and if they made a mistake they will fix it. And to put it to perspective, the oldest Yaris that is being recalled is made in 2005. It's a 9 year old car. And they'll fix it for free.

For comparison, here in Finland some have had to pay half of the price of a new DSG gearbox in VAG group cars when their old one broke down. And all those cars, that I know, have been 3-5 years old. And everyone knows that there has been a lot of problems in those gearboxes. Even Volkswagen themselves admit that there is problems in that gearbox.

PS. Sorry for my english skills, they're a bit rusty :D
_--Ville--_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:13 AM   #9
Absolutely Red 12
Asshole

Drives: 2012 and 2013!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
This recall stuff is going completely nuts IMHO.

You know the 13 deaths "caused" by defective ignition switches on GM cars? That involves 3 million vehicles. Im sorry for the grief to the families but that is statistically insignificant.
13 deaths that didn't need to happen= SIGNIFICANT
Old 04-09-2014, 10:36 AM   #10
YodaBird

Drives: Gray
Toyota mentions up to 2013 model Yaris. Some speculate if your Yaris was made in Japan, your in the clear, I guess we'll all receive a letter !
YodaBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:58 AM   #11
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
^LOL. That is very true. CT has not done safety inspections for about 30 years now.

For the recalls the Toyota owners site (where you can check your VIN) has been down for maintenance this morning, but it sounds like for the US market Yaris that it is just for the clockspring potentially failing, and as a few people on here have had that happen it will at least save others on the cost to replace it.
Quebec does not require safety inspection (100$) as long as the car is registered and remains registered within the Province. Funny..
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:12 AM   #12
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Could the creaking from the front possibly be related to the steering wheel issue ?
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:25 AM   #13
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Well I'm excited for this recall as I'm affected. I've been driving without a drivers side airbag since 2009, thank goodness I haven't hit anything head on. Mine was 100% assembled in Japan so this affects the Japanese built ones too.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:27 AM   #14
YodaBird

Drives: Gray
Then it might effect the 3rd generation as well if the Japanese models are part of the recall.
YodaBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:36 AM   #15
bitz767

Drives: 2010 Black Manual 3 door
finally got through on the site for my 2010 3 door hatch:
2 recalls

Safety Recall E0M (E1M) - Preliminary Notice Various Models - Spiral Cable
At the present time, Toyota is currently preparing the remedy.

What is the condition? The steering column assembly in the involved vehicles contains a spiral cable assembly with electrical connections to the driver's airbag module that could become damaged when the steering wheel is turned. If this occurs, the air bag warning lamp will illuminate. In addition, the driver's air bag could become deactivated, causing it to not deploy in the event of a crash. This could increase the risk of injury to the driver.
When will the Remedy be Available: The remedy procedures will be provided to each dealership in the near future. At which time, Toyota will notify owners of covered vehicles by first class mail. Additional information will be posted on this site once the remedy is available.

For answers to frequently asked questions, please refer to the document below.
FAQ

E1M
Safety Recall E0L (E1L) - Preliminary Notice - Certain 2006-2010 Yaris Hatchback, Certain 2007-2010 Yaris Sedan & Certain 2008-2010 Scion xD -Driver Side Seat Track Assembly & Passenger Seat Track Assembly (3DR Yaris HB Only)
At the present time, Toyota is currently preparing the remedy.

What is the condition? In the seat rail of the driver seat of the subject vehicles and also the front passenger seat of three-door models, the springs used for the mechanism which lock the seat rail in its adjusting positions could break. This can happen if the seat is adjusted forward and/or rearward with high frequency. If a seat rail spring breaks, the seat may not lock into the adjusted position. If the vehicle is operated with a broken seat rail spring, the seat could move in the event of a crash, increasing the risk of injury to the occupant.
When will the Remedy be Available: The remedy procedures will be provided to each dealership in the near future. At which time, Toyota will notify owners of covered vehicles by first class mail. Additional information will be posted on this site once the remedy is available.

For answers to frequently asked questions, please refer to the document below.
FAQ
bitz767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:06 PM   #16
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Quote:
Originally Posted by YodaBird View Post
Then it might effect the 3rd generation as well if the Japanese models are part of the recall.
It does not, this only affects model years up to 2010.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:17 PM   #17
bentjazz

Drives: 2009 Yaris--3dr MT
Many people don't have the money to have their cars fixed.....
The word "junkers" really drives me nuts, just like the word "bum"
doesn't take into consideration that a person's circumstances just
might be beyond their control. In other words, it's a very sad world
out there.....
bentjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:22 PM   #18
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
Well, I don't have an airbag equipped steering wheel anymore and my seats/brackets are aftermarket too...unless they recall the fuel pump or the dashboard I'm out.

Not to mention they always seem to cap the recall at 100K, LOL...I'm definitely out on those.

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote