Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 07-06-2015, 12:56 PM   #1
pulsar2121

Drives: 2012 Toyota Yaris 1.5L 5spd MT
TPMS Issues After Wheel Swap

I have a 2012 Yaris with the 1.5L engine and the 5 speed manual transmission. I've got 50K miles on it and it's been a pretty good car so far. The only downside to owning a Yaris in North Dakota is the winter driving. Snow tires are pretty much a necessity for any two-wheel drive car around here in the winter.

So, after a few years of paying for tires to be swapped over every other season, I decided to get a second set of rims to lengthen the time in between tire swaps. I managed to get a set of rims off of a 2008 Yaris with TPMS sensors included.

The first couple times I drove it in town less than a mile and everything was fine. The next day after 20 minutes or so of highway driving, I got blink... blink... blink... (!) Crap! I had assumed since the TPMS sensors were the same between the '08 and '12 model years that the TPMS light would not give me any trouble. After reading through a couple of threads on this forum, I quickly realized that the ECU can only remember one set of rims at a time.

I bought this car new and would like to keep everything stock including the wiring. That being said, I do not want to bypass the TPMS feature. What do I need to do in order for the ECU to recognize the new rims? I'm expecting that I'll need to do this every time I change the rims (twice a year). So, hopefully it's not that hard. Also, are any special tools needed?
pulsar2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:21 PM   #2
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
Whenever you change sensors on a Toyota you need to "Relearn" the system. The computer needs to know what the ID of each sensor is so it reads the correct one. This is easiest done with a special tool, but there may be a manual way to do it too. Is there a tire pressure reset button?
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:22 PM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
If your 2012 is a hatchback, then you just need to press and hold the reset button on the lower dash until the TPMS light flashes slowly 3 times.

If it is a sedan, then you need to go to a dealer or tire shop to have them reprogram the system.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:37 PM   #4
pulsar2121

I have the 3 door hatchback. I looked all over the lower part of the dash and by the OBD2 port and I still can't find a reset button.

I did a little research on this yesterday and it suggests that the reset button simply tells the ECU to refresh and look for the existing TPMS ID's that are already stored. This button appears to only be present on older models (2011 and earlier) and is to be used after repairing a flat to reset the light. Here is the most notable source that I found: http://www.counterman.com/tpms-updat...nitor-systems/

It looks like I'll need to get a special scan tool to enter the new TPMS ID's into the computer. It's going for $150 on eBay. It's supposedly designed for my siutation and has a winter and summer setting where each of the ID's sets are stored.

The only problem is that you have to enter the new TPMS ID's manually. The TPMS ID's can be found on the sensors. So, take photos before you have the tires put on the rims. If you got used ones off of an old Yaris like I did, the seller has confirmed that you can use to tool to pull the ID's from the vehicle that the rims came off of. So, I won't have to break the bead of the tire to check.

I'm going to order one tonight and I'll post back next week to let everyone know if it works.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:38 PM   #5
pulsar2121

I have the 3 door hatchback. I looked all over the lower part of the dash and by the OBD2 port and I still can't find a reset button.

I did a little research on this yesterday and it suggests that the reset button simply tells the ECU to refresh and look for the existing TPMS ID's that are already stored. This button appears to only be present on older models (2011 and earlier) and is to be used after repairing a flat to reset the light. Here is the most notable source that I found: http://www.counterman.com/tpms-updat...nitor-systems/

It looks like I'll need to get a special scan tool to enter the new TPMS ID's into the computer. It's going for $150 on eBay. It's supposedly designed for my siutation and has a winter and summer setting where each of the ID's sets are stored.

The only problem is that you have to enter the new TPMS ID's manually. The TPMS ID's can be found on the sensors. So, take photos before you have the tires put on the rims. If you got used ones off of an old Yaris like I did, the seller has confirmed that you can use to tool to pull the ID's from the vehicle that the rims came off of. So, I won't have to break the bead of the tire to check.

I'm going to order one tonight and I'll post back next week to let everyone know if it works.