Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-20-2009, 09:23 PM   #1
captainm27

Drives: 2008 Sedan A/T Silver
Automatic Shift Pleasure

I don't know about you, but I get a pleasure from shifting between 3rd and 4th gear on my automatic. For those who drive the auto, do you enjoy keeping the car on 3rd when climbing hills and when descending them? Do you fool around with the different gears, playing around just to see what effects you get?

I never had an auto transmission that just felt so good shifting. Maybe it's also partly due to the design of the shifter, with all the twists and turns, as opposed to the straight up and down movement.
captainm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:30 PM   #2
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Its also a fun way to wear out your transmission faster.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:12 PM   #3
captainm27

Is it really? I notice the car shifts automatically between 3rd and 4th while keeping it on D when ascending and descending hills. Would it damage it if I kept it longer at those gears?
Old 10-20-2009, 10:14 PM   #4
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
Captain,

I shift mine all the time. It is one of the most intelligent autos I've driven. I drop to 3rd and second almost every time I stop on slopes-and if I brake much at all it down shifts itself anyway, so any extra wear is minimal. The wear is offset anyway in my opinion when I lock out 4th on hills so it doesn't shift as much. The owners manual describes scenarios such as these, so evidently Toyota isn't too worried about it. IMO the biggest threat to the automatic transmission is the "lifetime" ATF.

I had a tiptronic type manually shiftable auto in my Mitsu Outlander that was pretty good too, but not as smooth or fun as the Yaris. I shifted the Outlander all the time too, no problems. I like a torque converter in slippery conditions. The mitsu would allow you to take of in second so you could "numb it down" and prevent wheel spin.

R2
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:26 PM   #5
captainm27

That's what I was feeling, R2D2, that the transmission is made to be very shiftable. Yeah, I guess the Trans Fluid wouldn't really last forever...
Old 10-20-2009, 11:18 PM   #6
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
a dealer said...trans fluid should be changed after 100k on the car, usually....

And i believe him, i did so on my Mitsu Mirage when it hit 103k....
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:25 PM   #7
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
if u read ur manual i think it is it tells u that the 3rd gear is actually ur Drive and the D is ur over drive and i notice that when ur in 3 it starts asking for overdrive when ur about 40 to 45
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:45 PM   #8
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

I like playing around with the automatic transmission, working with the throttle and speed to get it to upshift quicker or hold a higher gear longer as it climbs a hill, with the engine pulling harder at a lower speed. The control unit has some built in intelligence and can learn your preferences to an extent. Sure you have more direct control with a manual, but it's an interesting sort of negotiation.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:52 PM   #9
birdman

Drives: '08 Blazing Blue Yaris LB
Shakespeare said the highest form of sophistication is expressed simply. That's what I feel about these cars. It's a huge undertaking to develop a fine reliable seemingly simple car like this especially at this end of the automotive spectrum.
birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 03:57 PM   #10
djct_watt

Drives: 2010 NCP91 5spd
You leave it in D (OD on). The transmission can figure out the gears for itself. Overdrive isn't anything fancy or crazy. . . all it is is a fuel conserving gear that has a ratio less than 1.0. It means that it takes less than one turn of the axle to turn the wheel. If your automatic is struggling for power, it will shift OUT of OD and into 3. There is never any reason to use 3 except for engine braking and holding the gear for "racing" lol or climbing a hill to prevent gear hunting. Re-read your manual.
djct_watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 04:23 PM   #11
SilverGlow
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
This is completely false!
SilverGlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 05:38 PM   #12
captainm27

Quote:
Originally Posted by djct_watt View Post
You leave it in D (OD on). The transmission can figure out the gears for itself. Overdrive isn't anything fancy or crazy. . . all it is is a fuel conserving gear that has a ratio less than 1.0. It means that it takes less than one turn of the axle to turn the wheel. If your automatic is struggling for power, it will shift OUT of OD and into 3. There is never any reason to use 3 except for engine braking and holding the gear for "racing" lol or climbing a hill to prevent gear hunting. Re-read your manual.
This is exactly what I meant. Even though the Automatic is smart and efficient, sometimes you just want temporary control of it, and that is where the enjoyment of it comes in.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:42 PM   #13
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
You leave it in D (OD on).
Its kind of weird to put 3 more selections on the shifter if you aren't supposed to use them.. Especially in a bottom line car.....

Quote:
The transmission can figure out the gears for itself.
Most of the time, but at certain angles it absolutely can not.

Quote:
There is never any reason to use 3 except for engine braking and holding the gear for "racing" lol or climbing a hill to prevent gear hunting. Re-read your manual.
Engine braking and avoiding gear hunting accounts for most of my city driving. Holding gears for cornering(not racing) is another reason.

I live in a really hilly area. I'm hardly ever in D. My transmission works just fine at 76k miles now. I guarantee if you live in hills, you'll burn brakes 10x as fast, and your tranny 2x as fast without gear limiting.

Final conclusion - done properly, limiting to L, 2, or 3, does no more damage to your transmission than not limiting, and can in fact reduce wear(from gear hunting as you put it) and definitely reduces wear on brakes.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:32 PM   #14
RUFFSTUFF
Banned

Drives: 2009 TOYOTA YARIS SEDAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post

False. A shift is a shift (hello! no clutch!), besides the computer won't let it shift into an out-of-range gear.

Do what you want.
RUFFSTUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:58 PM   #15
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Yeah, that's BS! The auto wouldn't have the option to shift gears if it was detrimental to the transmission. People have to realize it is the 21st century, and a Toyota we are talking about here!

I shift my auto all the time, mainly downshifts but occasionally to get up a steep hill. I do enjoy it, and as I have said before, you can always shift your automatic but you can't get your manual to shift on its own!

Cheers! M2
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 09:28 PM   #16
SLIK4
Michael

Drives: 07 Silver Yaris Sedan
i love shifting my auto. do it all the time "racing" my best bud at stop lights.
SLIK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 09:32 PM   #17
SailDesign

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainm27 View Post
I don't know about you, but I get a pleasure from shifting between 3rd and 4th gear on my automatic. For those who drive the auto, do you enjoy keeping the car on 3rd when climbing hills and when descending them? Do you fool around with the different gears, playing around just to see what effects you get?

I never had an auto transmission that just felt so good shifting. Maybe it's also partly due to the design of the shifter, with all the twists and turns, as opposed to the straight up and down movement.
Someone is going to say t sooner or later - so I may as well do it nicely (I hope).
If you enjoy shifting so much, why not just buy the manual tranny?
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 12:58 AM   #18
Sir A.Y. Atoyot

Drives: '08 5-door
I like the automatic because (duh) it's automatic!

If I wanted to shift gears, I'd have bought a manual.

I find it more interesting to not shift gears on a hill - the transmission is partly controlled by the usual hydraulics and partly by the computer. It's interesting how it will climb a rather steep hill without downshifting or slowing down, and without lugging.

However, it's your car - if you want to shift the automatic, be my guest.
Sir A.Y. Atoyot is offline   Reply With Quote