Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-06-2009, 08:00 PM   #19
toast

Drives: 2007 LB
Try a different brand just for kicks. I'm betting something else previously mentioned is bent, out of round slightly etc. A different brand of bearing may have an ever so slightly different tolerance or materials etc and *might* have a different result. My old truck was going through the expensive brand bearings every 10k after it hit 90k. After a couple of sets of those I switched to the extra cheapies at AZone and damned if they didn't last for 30k. That truck was beat all to hell fyi.
toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 09:48 PM   #20
FunctionSpec
Super Newbie

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback White
Quote:
Originally Posted by webfeet69 View Post
hears all the info i know,
The car is my father in laws owned since new. the car is used for package delivery hence the milage. by the way the car doesnt use any oil and he hasnt had any problems until this big problem. He started hearing a growl and found the rt front bearing was bad. replaced the bearing and he still had some noise. they then found the trans main bearings were worn and put in a used trans. all was well for 300 miles! same bearing went bad again! he has since put 5 wheel bearings in the car. he has tried just the bearing itself, new bearing from toyota, totaly new hub assembly from toyota. He just called from lee mass and said bearing is making noise again. 280 miles this time! Any ideas? the only thing i can think of to check when i get the car this weekend is all trans and motor mounts. i am thinking that if the mounts are shot then its possible the engine moved putting side tension on the bearing causing the failures. the car has never been wrecked or damaged.
Thanks in advance,Todd
Wow thats a lot of miles!

Only thing I can think of is whatever is between the hub assembly and trans which is the drive axle. You already changed out the hub with a new toyota one which is the first thing I would of recommended to check.

Motor mounts should be okay since the car is always moving forward because of the amount of miles on the car, 350K, which means it probably rarely sees any stop and go traffic to wear out the mounts.

The only thing I can think of is the drive axle. Either its worn/unbalanced/distorted in way that causes a harmonic vibration at a certain speed to kill the wheel bearings that quick. From the high miles from delivery, it looks like its run at a certain speed continuously to obtain optimal fuel mileage and whatever that speed is, is where the harmonic vibration is worse causing the wheel bearings to fail. Also check for tire or wheel runout, or "out-of-round", maybe a combo of the two is causing the accelerated wheel bearing failure.

I dont know the exact cause, just throwing some theories out there but I hope this helps you in your journey on getting the problem fixed!
FunctionSpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 07:11 PM   #21
N9QGS

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to N9QGS Send a message via Yahoo to N9QGS
I would have toyota look at it so if its fails after they fix it, they will stand behind you. 350,000 miles Im sure something else is going on but congrats I have 117,000 on my '07, going strong having only changed trans fluid, oil and filters and coolant, new set of tires, and new serpentine belt.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:20 AM   #22
birdman

Drives: '08 Blazing Blue Yaris LB
350 thousand miles is amazing. With that kind of mileage its natural to have things wearing out. What amazing cars these Yari are.
birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 11:06 AM   #23
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by N9QGS View Post
I would have toyota look at it so if its fails after they fix it, they will stand behind you. 350,000 miles Im sure something else is going on but congrats I have 117,000 on my '07, going strong having only changed trans fluid, oil and filters and coolant, new set of tires, and new serpentine belt.
Wow, you do some driving yourself. Long commute or something else?

Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:20 PM   #24
webfeet69

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
ok sorry about the long wait but problem solved!!!! After i got the car to look at and giving it a good once over i noticed the trans and motor mounts had worn allowing the motor/trans to drop and shift to passengers side causing all of the stress which caused the constant bearing failures and transmission failure do to side load!! i hope this helps if anyone else has this problem!
Oh yeah i have had requests for pics of car and odometer and will as soon as i have a chance.
P.S. the new trans mount is a much beefier unit from toyota! design flaw addressed???!!!
webfeet69 is offline   Reply With Quote