Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-23-2013, 12:24 PM   #1
EasternSierra

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Window Weather stripping.

the exterior window weather stripping on both the passenger and driver sides doors has torn on my 2007 Yaris Hatchback How difficult is it to replace. The shops wants $200 plus parts.
EasternSierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 12:33 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
It is not that bad to do. Take a look at the "exterior" section of the service manual for the details on doing so: http://www.microimageonline.com/foru...32-YARIS-FILES
Old 08-23-2013, 05:16 PM   #3
jcboy

Drives: Sedan 07
i had mine (sedan) replaced due to a failed theft attempt. the participation fee was about the same price but the time involved in claiming will make the car vulnerable to theft all the while.

the price should only be around $30 each, the labor? if you are going to replace it then you can just snap it off and break it. (just use paint-protection tape on the door to be sure)

the new piece snaps right on and voila! $200 for the labor? ripoff. id say that doesnt even take 1 minute each to snap on. 2 windows, 2 weatherstrips = less than 3 minutes removal and snap on.
jcboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:26 PM   #4
EasternSierra

Thanks to both of you. I ordered the weather stripping today, $21 each side. the shop says it takes an hour a side. Looking at the manual directions I can see why an hour would be needed. mThanks so much for the manual link. I had no idea it was available on line. Thanks again.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:07 PM   #5
othater

Drives: 07SedanS06Taco
If you have a body shop or replace them yourself, make sure they don't scratch your windows while prying off the old ones. They body shop that did mine never admitted it but the scratch's are aligned right next to every clip at the top of the glass which tells me the window were rolled down and the scratches were on both sides.
othater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:16 PM   #6
EasternSierra

Weather stripping now replaced

Thanks again for the help. I replaced the weather stripping today, it took about one and 1/2 hours to do both doors. Much easier than I thought it would be. The repair manual made it very clear how to do the repair, thanks for the link.
Old 05-24-2015, 11:14 PM   #7
camaza
I've made a post!

Drives: Yaris hatchback 2007
Hi CTScott, I would like to replace the weather stripping on both doors of my Yaris, I tryed to open the limk you posted but it seems it's not working anymore, do you have any other link? Or better th steps to replace them?
Thanks a lot!
camaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 09:41 PM   #8
mryaris

Drives: 2010 Carmine Red hatchback
I replaced mine last year and my body shop charged me $35 to do both sides, so yeah....$200 is a bit much.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:03 AM   #9
Yaris Newbie

Drives: 2007 Yaris
I'm looking to do this as well. Based on what I'm seeing in the service manual it looks like, to do it properly/as directed, I'll need to remove the inside of the door panel as well as the side mirror?

I've done similar things in other vehicles so I'm not scared to do that but wanted to make sure that's what needs to happen instead of just some pushing and pulling on the outside to remove/replace the seal if it's easier to do that way.

Any input or video or pics or personal experience tips is VERY much appreciated.

Thanks!
Yaris Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 11:04 AM   #10
Yaris Newbie

Drives: 2007 Yaris
I ask because, doing my due diligence (or attempting at least), I found this thread/reply whereby folks say (I think) that they did it without pulling all those guts out:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=12
Yaris Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 10:40 AM   #11
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
I know this is an old thread, but I just replaced that weatherstrip on the driver's door of my 08 liftback and it took me less than five minutes to do it. First, roll down the window then carefully slide a knife blade under the old strip towards one of the two ends (the rear one is probably easier), and lift up until it pops out. Once you have some of it out, pull the rest with it. There are three (I believe) points where it is snapped into place. Once the old one is out, position the new one in place and push down on it with the palm of your hand. You should hear it snapping into place. It's that easy!

Cheers! M2
Old 05-30-2017, 03:59 PM   #12
MyzticZ3r0

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
I know this is an old thread, but I just replaced that weatherstrip on the driver's door of my 08 liftback and it took me less than five minutes to do it. First, roll down the window then carefully slide a knife blade under the old strip towards one of the two ends (the rear one is probably easier), and lift up until it pops out. Once you have some of it out, pull the rest with it. There are three (I believe) points where it is snapped into place. Once the old one is out, position the new one in place and push down on it with the palm of your hand. You should hear it snapping into place. It's that easy!

Cheers! M2
Hey Madmax, the part # for the weatherstrip is 68210-52130. Correct?
MyzticZ3r0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 11:30 AM   #13
Applesauce
I've made a post!

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris, 2D
I just replaced the weatherstripping on my 2007 Toyota Yaris Hatchback a few minutes ago. I thought I would post my experience to possibly help anyone who was thinking about attempting it.

I replaced both the right and left weatherstripping - RH - 68160-52130 and the LH - 68210-52130. I ordered mine from the Toyota dealership, $25.88 each. I looked online but they all seemed pretty pricey (one side was like $17 the other $35) and I hate paying for shipping.

The link to the manual did not work for me and I never found a good DIY explaining the process. I found a youtube video ("replace auto weatherstripping toyota") describing the process but found it was not as easy as the guy made it look. I admit, I am a short female so I may not have had that upper body strength needed to just pop it straight up and out.

This forum seemed to help more than anything else, at least in giving me the confidence to complete it because I was not taking the door panel off. Madmax's post was most helpful. I started on the back as he suggested (the side furthest from the side mirror) but I inserted a screwdriver just to lift slightly up and out on the weatherstripping so I could get my fingertips underneath.

Painfully, I lifted up with each hand to warp that aluminium metal that is inside the weatherstrip kind of up and out too. I did that for the entire line of the strip. I then poked a screw driver in, towards the inside of the door, to disengage the clips (I actually think it is more of a lip than a clip...). That part was instant and then I just pulled the weatherstrip out. Installing the strip was very easy, I inserted the back end, then bowed the strip slightly to get the front end in. From there, I just lined it up and snapped it down all along the line.

Overall, for both sides, once I figured out a method, it took less than 5 minutes and I did not have to take apart the panel or remove the mirror. My fingertips slightly hurt but I am able to type this so clearly I am just over exaggerating/whining. I would recommend replacing the stripping on your own and not having it done.
Applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote