Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-07-2011, 01:16 AM   #1
ExtremeCold

Drives: Yaris Hatchback 5ddr
Changing to cold air intake and insurance problem

Hello everyone

First, im new to this forum.

I felt the need to ask on this forum because i couldn't find the answer anywhere. Since i'm new, its possible that this has been answered already but with a basic search did not find the right answer. Sorry if it's been answered as i do not want to start a flame on this forum.
also i have posted this on the wrong section, please feel free to move it.

So here's the deal.
I own this 2008 Hatchback Yaris that i got 2 years ago. It is fully paid...since it is paid with hard earned cash, i try to take care of it (if you know what i mean).

The last 2 years i've been driving this stock cars and the only mod i did was to add fog lights, trailer hitch, and a roof rack + a luggage box.

And for some reason, the last 2 weeks, ive been reading and analyzing tons of documents online regarding K&N Cold air intake. I've probably read through 6 or 7 forums (without posting...) this forum being the first that i post on, checked over 20 video on youtube, read 30+ websites...some technical.

The idea of my research was to figure out wheter i should replace to stock air kit for CAI without changing the muffler and without reprograming the chip.
The initial goal was only to obtain a better MPG in city. Getting 1 or 2 hp (was marely a bonus to my mind). Better acceleration uphill was also a plus. And lastly the sporty sound that we get from this type of operation.

Because the answers and opinions vary alot from person to person, i choose not to debate on CAI but rather on the Warranty Policy and Inssurance that this change can involve.

You see, i had to decide if the $400 bucks investment was worth the change. To do that i had to evaluate the gain, the lost, the consequences especially the risks.

Many of the mechanical terms were new to me. For instance, i did not know much about Hydrolocking before doing research on CAI.

So before doing the changes, i just had to be certain of my move. So i called not only 1 local toyota dealer but about 3 more just to stay on the safe side.
I asked them about CAI and here is the answer they all gave me:

Changing the CAI do not void the warranty of the vehicule however if the item that i replace is the cause of the damage or has a clear link with the damage i'm issuing (and they must prove it) then the repair regarding that damage will not be covered by the warranty.
I.E: if the engine dies beyond cheap repair (over heat or something) and it it caused by the CAI (even if it has been properly installed by an expert, then i will have to pay for the repair this including buying a new engine if i have to.

The second problem i encountered was with the insurance company. I called them asking about insurance and Hydrolock.
For a stock vehicule with only cosmetic changes, i am fully covered by the insurance. If a tree falls on the car, if a large city pothole damage the car, if the car hydrolock because of a huricane or because of a catastrophic flood condition etc... i am fully covered by the insurance. They pay for the tow and repair.

However they said that if i installed a Cold Air intake. ( and i even supplied them with the part number and brand of the CAI) The claim departement told me that they will not cover the repair and more they might not renew the contract.
They simply said that Mod Car is not something they want eventhough they understand the concept, they simply don't want those clients.
If they open this door, it would allow too many people driving "sport" cars while paying for a regular insurance fee.
I understand the point for not allowing performance mod.

Because my insurrance company is a good one, they're the one charging me the less by the way. Since this insurance company only accept large group (they only take workers that work for big institutions) because they offer pretty good deal i'd like to stay with this insurance company. Changing insurance company will only increase the yearly fee by atleast 40%. and that is not an option. that 40% insurance increase fee will just negate the fuel economy i could have made with the CAI.

So my questions in the end are :

With theses information in hand. what are the best alternative to increase MPG with a yaris that i can perform. ( i have removed everything heavy that i could found) but the rest are things i can not remove (Trailer hitch bar under the car, Roof rack ) i only put the large luggage box when i need.

What do you guys think.. any known trick that really work to increase MPG ?

For instance, does replacing only the paper filter panel with a K&N one (in other words) without changing the pipe flow would do the trick ?
ExtremeCold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 02:34 AM   #2
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeCold View Post
First, im new to this forum.
Welcome!

Quote:
You see, i had to decide if the $400 bucks investment was worth the change. To do that i had to evaluate the gain, the lost, the consequences especially the risks.
$400 is way too much for a CAI. You'll find better prices around these parts if you look around.

Quote:
Many of the mechanical terms were new to me. For instance, i did not know much about Hydrolocking before doing research on CAI.
Hydrolocking can indeed be a problem, so IMHO you should consider an SRI instead. I have one and love it, and the performance/mileage improvements are roughly the same. Not to mention it it a lot more difficult to get water in the engine with an SRI as opposed to a CAI because of the shorter arm length.

If you absolutely must have a CAI, then you may want to buy a cover such as this one to help with water intake a bit.

Quote:
What do you guys think.. any known trick that really work to increase MPG ?
I removed my rear seat and there's a small but noticeable difference all around (performance/handling/economy).

Quote:
For instance, does replacing only the paper filter panel with a K&N one (in other words) without changing the pipe flow would do the trick ?
K&N filters are a good middle step between stock and an upgraded intake. You shouldn't have any problems with the insurance folks there since all you're doing is swapping a filter, which is something one needs to do at a certain point anyway.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:31 AM   #3
big lo

Drives: 2007 VIOS
Welcome to the forum, +1 for TK
TRD sportivo springs,Tokico Blue Shock/Struts,TRD rear sway bar & front bar,Tanabe engine bar,MI hoses (red), MI engine cover,SRI intake,VIOS vent visors,VIOS foglights,VIOS tails (HELLA lights & the Series 5 too),VIOS radio,VIOS badge,VIOS grill,18 inch R-1 rims wrapped in nankang tires 215/35-18z,chrome handles,retrofited the headlights, SHARK body kit (VIOS), Coming soon projectors heads with LED strip, Custom seats, MI hood lifts,MI momo steering wheel, sound system :)
big lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:13 AM   #4
SpaceShot

Drives: 2008 Yaris 5 speed HB
I have the 08 3dr hatch and I put in the K&N filter replacement right at 5K break in. Realistically I can only attribute 0.5 - 1mpg gain from the filter. Same for racing disc hubcaps that go on my snow tires, and a shark fin antenna. (but they both look good)

Biggest Mpg gain was from increasing tire pressure to max sidewall, and getting a ScanGuage II combined with a few months of practice along my commuting route.

Adding a aftermarket cruise control was good for comfort on some trips, but given the rolling terrain in my area, while it increases Mpg over EPA, but I can do better still on my own.
SpaceShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:27 AM   #5
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
forget the intake, it doesnt sound like you're ready to deal with any complications that will arise because of warranty/insurance and the intake.

get skinny tires (175-65-14), light weight rims, and k&n panel filter for the stock airbox and start lightening the car by removing the rear seats or something...
Old 04-22-2011, 09:58 PM   #6
rapev-8

Drives: toyota
just dont drive into a flooded street over a feet of water or where your CAI filter is located then you re fine!
rapev-8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 06:44 PM   #7
RETRO

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatchback
Take the $400 and buy gas..The CAI are a waste of money you gain no mpg or HP.You will gain some throttle response.
RETRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:20 PM   #8
.Kevin.
I ain't even mad

Drives: 2010 1E7 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Send a message via MSN to .Kevin.
Spent 600$ on my K&N Kit, who gives a shit? The chances of it ruining your motor are slimto none there are specific intakes for a reason, and have you ever put a cold air intake on a car then taken it to the dyno it adds HP just not as much to make a difference 2-3 hp the K&N rates 4.6 for the Yaris but it doesnt add that much but it still does.

if you put one on expecting holy shit awesomness then you will obviously feel its a waste of a purchase, but it helps imo.

Good luck