Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-29-2017, 12:07 PM   #1
ejaf

Drives: 09 5MT
Musty smell when heat first turned on.

Hi all,

Searched, and I found a few threads regarding this. I have checked for blockage in the AC drain tube (none), and there is a cabin filter installed.

If I have heat on, eventually, the windows will fog up, and if I put on defog, the musty smell first occurs. This obviously sounds like water somewhere in the system, but I don't know what else to check, other than ripping the dashboard apart und dismantling the AC.

Before I do this, anyone have suggestions on how to troubleshoot/pinpoint the problem besides what I have tried?

Model is 2009 4DSD 5MT.

Thanks in advance...Eric
ejaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 12:40 PM   #2
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
It's because you're using the A/C when the defrost setting is used. So it takes moisture out of the air but after years of use there can be an accumulation of dust on the evaporation coil that never dries out and gets moldy. The only way to avoid the smell is to avoid using any defrost setting. Even the mixed mode uses A/C.

I know on my Echo the setting for floor only still put air up on the windshield so I never use any defrost settings.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 12:50 PM   #3
scratchpaddy
Hubcap Enthusiast

Drives: '09 3-door 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
It's because you're using the A/C when the defrost setting is used. So it takes moisture out of the air but after years of use there can be an accumulation of dust on the evaporation coil that never dries out and gets moldy. The only way to avoid the smell is to avoid using any defrost setting. Even the mixed mode uses A/C.

I know on my Echo the setting for floor only still put air up on the windshield so I never use any defrost settings.
You're saying it turns on the compressor when you put it on defrost, even without the A/C button pushed? I've had a few GM cars which did that, but I've never noticed the compressor in my Yaris cycling on and off when it's in defrost mode.
scratchpaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 12:52 PM   #4
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
^^ yes.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 05:38 PM   #5
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchpaddy View Post
You're saying it turns on the compressor when you put it on defrost, even without the A/C button pushed? I've had a few GM cars which did that, but I've never noticed the compressor in my Yaris cycling on and off when it's in defrost mode.
almost all vehicles do this now. some vehicles you can turn it off, but I think for Toyota you have to run a switch off the ground and manually turn it off. it's so stupid.
I'm surprised you have not noticed the rpm's all over the place when idling with defrost on... it sound so horrible
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 06:04 PM   #6
ejaf

Yes, it definitely turns on the compressor when in defrost or mix defrost/floor.

Don't know how you can live without it in Ontario, but I'm glad that works for you.

Doing a little more reading, and I saw that this can be a problem in recirculation mode. I said to myself "I never put the settings on recirculation mode". But I'm not the only one driving the car. lo and behold, that's what is was set on. I don't know how long it's been on that setting, but next drive I'm going to make sure it's fresh air mode and blast the heat, and see if that will dry out things.

Thanks for the quick replies.

Eric
Old 01-29-2017, 08:35 PM   #7
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
musty smell HVAC service advisory

Not a recall notice, but isn't there at least one thread discussing Toyota service advisory for musty smell in the HVAC of some Yaris? Discussion there of whether offending component is accessible without complete disassembly of the automobile? (Mind of Toyota)
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 11:32 PM   #8
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Toyota likely added this feature (as do other manufacturers) to increase the life of the a/c compressor. Almost all the Toyota's I know that are going on 11, 12 and 13 years of life still have their fully functioning a/c system thanks to this feature of running the compressor when the defroster is on.

Most people won't turn on their a/c for months and even years. The a/c compressor periodically needs the refrigerant cycled through it so that the oil gets cycles through it and stops the compressor from seizing. Most people have no idea and won't touch their a/c button unless they need it and then complain that their a/c went to crap within 5 or so years.

It also reduces the amount of time it takes to defrost a window by quite a bit. if you decide to override this feature just make sure you hit the a/c button for 10 mins or so every couple weeks. Your a/c system will thank you.

As for the OP's question, try turning on the fan to full and just below your windshield outside of your car spray a mixture of water and vinegar or water and hydrogen peroxide into the vents. This may be enough to clear out some of the crap on the evaporator. or try what CTScott recommended in another post and squirt some water mixed with bleech up the rubber drain hose
Old 01-30-2017, 10:54 AM   #9
ejaf

Thanks mush for the idea...will give it a shot.

Would you also believe that on another thread there was mention of running the ac with the "fresh Air Mode" on, instead of "Recirculation Mode". Of course, I told myself "that can't be it, since I never switch to use the recirc, I always use fresh.

It was in recirc mode...I feel like an idiot. I have since switched it to fresh, and will get the car up to operating temp and blast the heat, just to see how that works. I will also try tmontague's idea, if the musty smell remains.

Thanks all...Eric