Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-20-2012, 06:31 AM   #1
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Belt replacement?

Thinking ahead to when the AC doesnt work.

Is there a belt which will run just the water pump and the alternator without the AC compressor?

Is that possible?

Or does the compressor have to be driven along with everything else.

Thanks!
Old 03-20-2012, 06:42 AM   #2
mr_miles

Drives: 2013 Yaris
the belt part number is 90916-02499.

I'm changing mine tomorrow :D

If you plan on ever using the ac again, i've been told it's not smart to leave it sit, as it needs to flow occasionally to keep seals lubricated. but if it doesn't work like mine, why keep extra weight? i just need to figure out how to get the evaporator box out now... and then my ac will be completely gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisugi View Post
Ahhh now I see. Your backseat pulls out, but you don't. :)
mr_miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:05 PM   #3
bronsin

Thanks!
Old 03-20-2012, 04:22 PM   #4
DebbyM46227

Drives: 2017 Yaris IA, Pulse Red, Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Thinking ahead to when the AC doesnt work.

Is there a belt which will run just the water pump and the alternator without the AC compressor?

Is that possible?

Or does the compressor have to be driven along with everything else.

Thanks!
When the A/C compressor seized on my '97 Chevy Cavalier and I didn't want to put any more money into the car, they do make a replacement pulley that fits in the same spot as the compressor and the same serpentine belt works for it. Not sure if they have a similar pulley for the Yaris though.
DebbyM46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:28 PM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyM46227 View Post
When the A/C compressor seized on my '97 Chevy Cavalier and I didn't want to put any more money into the car, they do make a replacement pulley that fits in the same spot as the compressor and the same serpentine belt works for it. Not sure if they have a similar pulley for the Yaris though.
The Cav probably needed a pulley in that location for belt routing. The Yaris comes with or without AC, so the $16 no-AC belt is an easy fix.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:40 PM   #6
bronsin

Quote:

Wow thats a great idea by Chevy. Consumer orientated thinking.

Gald the Yaris doesnt need it though..
Old 03-21-2012, 08:57 AM   #7
DebbyM46227

Quote:
Wow thats a great idea by Chevy. Consumer orientated thinking.
Yes! Really shocked considering it's GM. Or they knew that the compressor wouldn't last long past 3 years. :)
Old 03-22-2012, 11:35 AM   #8
bronsin

How was the Cavalier otherwise? I would like to think Americans can make a good small car but I havnt heard of one thats small like an ECHO or Yaris.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:08 PM   #9
DebbyM46227

Quote:
How was the Cavalier otherwise? I would like to think Americans can make a good small car but I havnt heard of one thats small like an ECHO or Yaris.
I bought it new in 1997 and don't drive much so I roughly put 8200 miles a year on it. No problems until late 2008 when I started smelling antifreeze and the local repair shop couldn't find the leak - finally they did find one; the edges of the radiator are plastic and there was a crack, so a new radiator, then the oil sending unit quit, the muffler strap broke ($100 just for the strap), then the head gasket blew, another $1500.00 spent on a car that was too old to put money into. Right after I sunk $1500.00 for the head gasket, the A/C compressor seized up on me.

So the moral is, get rid of the car at age 10 and the Cavalier is a good car

And the day I traded it in for my Yaris, the engine power kept cutting out on me, maybe the throttle but the car wouldn't go over 52 MPH. thankfully when they took it for a test drive, that didn't happen.

Another thing: The exhaust system was stainless steel and it was completely original when I got rid of it.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:03 PM   #10
bronsin

I was with you until you said the head gasket blew.

Otherwise not too bad really.

How long between the radiator going and the head gasket replacement? I wonder if the radiator was fine and it was the head gasket responsible for the coolant smell?

Although a head gasket is easy to figure out...
Old 03-22-2012, 02:32 PM   #11
DebbyM46227

Quote:
How long between the radiator going and the head gasket replacement? I wonder if the radiator was fine and it was the head gasket responsible for the coolant smell?

Although a head gasket is easy to figure out...
No, the shop that replaced my radiator showed me the old one and I saw a small hairline crack in the plastic (these plastic sections ran the length of each side of the radiator.)

It first started out with my coolant light coming on. They replaced the coolant recovery tank as it had sludge in it (or so they said - I changed my anti-freeze every other year when the car got past the 5 year coolant that came in it). The coolant light continued to come on and I could smell the anti-freeze. (I don't think there was ever anything wrong with the recovery tank they replaced).

I kept checking my anti-freeze level weekly to make sure there was enough and adding when necessary. Then they thought I just needed a new cap and they replaced that. The problem continued.

Then one morning after I got to work I noticed it puddling on a bracket and immediately drove it to the shop where they finally found the radiator leak.

It was OK for 2 or 3 months, then whammo! I got to work, turned around to look at my car as I was walking in and saw coolant running out, at first I thought it was the water pump so I quickly drove it back to the shop where they found the blown head gasket. But they did say it had nothing to do with me not keeping check on the coolant levels.

So...that's all I know about it!

The last 2 years of owning that Cavalier I became very paranoid about warning lights and even though I now have my Yaris, from Day 1 of owning the Yaris I still catch myself constantly monitoring the instrument panel.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:48 PM   #12
bronsin

Huh that part about the crud in the coolant tank...

When your head gasket goes oil gets in the coolant, sludging up the radiator. And quite possible the overflow tank. When buying a car with the engine COLD remove the radiator cap. If the coolant is low AND theres oily looking stuff in there...excellent chance for a blown head gasket.

Not to say your radiator wasnt bad but any crack in the radiator even plastic I would have to think would leak quite a bit.

And since you faithfully changed the coolant in my experience that makes for a pristine looking expansion tank and inside of the radiator.

There there not to worry youre driving a Yaris now!

But if you want to be paranoid (and who doesnt where their car is concerned) check the bottom of the hood every few months on the right side for red streaks of coolant indicating a bad water pump.

Mine went at 26k miles. I believe its covered under the drivetrain warranty for 60k miles or five years.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:55 PM   #13
DebbyM46227

Quote:
There there not to worry youre driving a Yaris now!

But if you want to be paranoid (and who doesnt where their car is concerned) check the bottom of the hood every few months on the right side for red streaks of coolant indicating a bad water pump.

Mine went at 26k miles. I believe its covered under the drivetrain warranty for 60k miles or five years.
I do check for the coolant - every 2 weeks - see, I told you I am still paranoid. I need to get over this, it's making me older before my time.

I have 13K on mine, but I still check. And you are right, I actually read the entire manual the first weekend I got my car and water pumps are good for 5 years/60K miles.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:40 AM   #14
bronsin

Quote:
I do check for the coolant - every 2 weeks - see, I told you I am still paranoid. I need to get over this, it's making me older before my time.

I have 13K on mine, but I still check. And you are right, I actually read the entire manual the first weekend I got my car and water pumps are good for 5 years/60K miles.
Quick! How many amps is the AC fuse!?

Ah you didnt answer right away! Maybe you need to do some refresher work!

I am seriously impressed you read your owners manual right away.

Either you are crazy or I should ask you out.

Or both...