Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-30-2010, 07:19 PM   #1
Focus_Sh1ft

Drives: 08 Yaris Turbo; 06 tC Turbo
Electrical Issues...

So today I got out of class and was about to drive home. I turned the key in the ignition and as soon as it hit ACC everything abruptly turned off. NOTHING was receiving power. Got out, wiggled some fuses around in the engine bay, and had power again (door open light illuminated). Tried to start it but same story. This happened a couple times and sometimes the power suddenly just came back on, without touching anything. I still don't understand this but... I removed the MET fuse entirely, and the car started (in limp mode). I drove home without the meter running and got a code for the vehicle speed sensor.

Back at home, I've found continuity on EVERY fuse, and there are no open circuit breakers. With the car off, the battery reads 12.92V, so that's not the problem. The problem, however, seems to lie with the MET fuse/connection. Everytime I try to start the car with the fuse in it just does it's violent turn off I mentioned before. Could the fuse be faulty even though it's showing continuity? Guess I'll try.

Thoughts please...
Focus_Sh1ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:37 PM   #2
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
What's MET???

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:38 PM   #3
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Did you check battery terminals for corrosion or loose connection?
My Saturn used to do the same thing.

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:09 PM   #4
Focus_Sh1ft

Yeah there's like a green coating on the negative terminal. It's been there awhile and I haven't paid much mind to it.

This has to be a general problem because now I have the meter working, but there's multiple other issues. For example the car won't lock, the "cool" symbol is blinking (it did this before when I blew my EFI fuse), and so on.

Dunno where to go from here...
Old 09-30-2010, 08:32 PM   #5
Focus_Sh1ft

Wow, unless I screwed up, I had a 9v drop when measuring the battery voltage using a spot where there was corrosion. Gonna clean it off...
Old 09-30-2010, 09:31 PM   #6
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Yeah it sounds like a dirty ground to me. I had the same problem while hooking up one of the audio amps in my car. I though I had it bolted to the frame as it measured 12V with the key off, but as soon as it turned on it dropped to 2V. Turns out paint doesn't conduct electricity very well (go figure LOL). I sanded it clean and all was fine.

A starter can draw as much as 500 Amps while cranking, so any bit of corrosion on any connection will cause it to just go (click) and die.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:57 PM   #7
Focus_Sh1ft

Yeah I'm baffled... I cleaned both terminals and I atleast can get ACC on and locking works and all that. Car won't start though, so it would appear that was only part of the problem lol...
Old 09-30-2010, 11:11 PM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Is it still cutting out when you switch through ACC? Do you have an aftermarket HU?
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:23 PM   #9
Focus_Sh1ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Is it still cutting out when you switch through ACC? Do you have an aftermarket HU?
Nope, and power is maintained. The car cranks but won't actually start. This is exactly how things went when I had my EFI fuses pulled. "Cool" blinks and the P/S warning icon is on when the key is turned to acc (both don't happen under normal conditions).
Old 10-01-2010, 07:43 AM   #10
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus_Sh1ft View Post
Nope, and power is maintained. The car cranks but won't actually start. This is exactly how things went when I had my EFI fuses pulled. "Cool" blinks and the P/S warning icon is on when the key is turned to acc (both don't happen under normal conditions).
I've seen the flashing COOL light before. It's not a normal condition or error, but if I remember correctly it may be when the meter is not receiving information from the ECM. I would check the ECU-B (under hood) and ECU-IG (under dash) fuses.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 01:13 PM   #11
Focus_Sh1ft

Turns out I had moved the IGN fuse to the wrong spot lmao...

But the main issue was actually battery corrosion. It probably finally gave me issues because it was incredibly humid yesterday. It's funny because I knew it was there but had noooooo idea it could effect the battery so significantly.

So a word of warning to anyone... If you see corrosion, clean it IMMEDIATELY. Some water and baking soda took it right off.
Old 10-01-2010, 01:51 PM   #12
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
You took the terminals off and cleaned them too I hope.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 02:00 PM   #13
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus_Sh1ft View Post
Turns out I had moved the IGN fuse to the wrong spot lmao...

But the main issue was actually battery corrosion. It probably finally gave me issues because it was incredibly humid yesterday. It's funny because I knew it was there but had noooooo idea it could effect the battery so significantly.

So a word of warning to anyone... If you see corrosion, clean it IMMEDIATELY. Some water and baking soda took it right off.
Those felt no-corrosion pads actually work too. You should buy some and put them on.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote