Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-10-2015, 12:47 PM   #1
MegaMatt

Drives: 2007 yaris hatchback
2007 yaris hatch back 3rd brake light (stop light)

I've been told my 3rd brake light isn't fully working, but when I look at it - it lights up 4 LEDs and I don't see anything else that is supposed to light up really ..

I think maybe the entire bar is supposed to turn red? Like everything including the 4 LEDs?

It's a one piece assembly - just clips in - not a bulb. I'm having a hell of a time finding the replacement part anywhere online ... Does anyone know where I can get a replacement if it is going bad?

Can anyone show me what the 3rd brake light is supposed to look like when engaged?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Ok, I found the part, it's 81570-52210 as seen here: http://toyotaparts.bochtoyotasouth.c...stop-lamp-scat

Can anyone show me what that part is supposed to look like when "turned on"?? Is it 4 LED circles, or does the whole bar light up? The stealership wouldn't give me an inspection sticker because they said it wasn't working - but it looks to activate to me... And they wanted $140 for the part...

Last edited by MegaMatt; 06-10-2015 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Added part # and question on how part looks when it "works"
MegaMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 07:38 AM   #2
MegaMatt

What happened to my post?
Old 06-11-2015, 07:39 AM   #3
MegaMatt

I'm trying to find out what the 3rd brake light should look like when functioning correctly on a 2007 yaris hatchback. Mine shows 4 led circles right now, and the stealer said that it's not correct and won't pass it for inspection because of it. The part is $140 from the dealer, and it seems to function correctly to me -- but I can't tell if the entire light bar is supposed to light up, or just the 4 LED circles.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:29 AM   #4
shepd

Drives: 2007 Yaris 5 door RS
You're in the USA. A third brake light is not required (just left and right brake lights, as always). Have your vehicle inspected by somewhere reputable.
shepd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 10:50 AM   #5
MegaMatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepd View Post
You're in the USA. A third brake light is not required (just left and right brake lights, as always). Have your vehicle inspected by somewhere reputable.
It is required to be working properly if it's there. Per my state's official documentation:
3.27 STOP LAMPS
References: 31-24-12, 31-24-13, 31-24-14, 31-24-37 (f), 31-24-38
Every motor vehicle must be equipped with a stop lamp on the rear of the vehicle
which shall emit a red or yellow (amber) light plainly visible from a distance of
100 feet to the rear of the vehicle during normal sunlight and at night time.
Any motor vehicle that is equipped with more than one stop lamp shall have all
such stop lamps in good working order. Every stop lamp shall be actuated upon
application of the service (foot) brake and may or may not be incorporated with
the tail lamp.
Lens separations are acceptable as long as the intended lawful color is not
violated.
Old 06-11-2015, 12:30 PM   #6
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
just the 4 leds
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 12:47 PM   #7
nortonfb

Drives: 2007
Show your dealer the law.
Pretty simple.
nortonfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 01:00 PM   #8
MegaMatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisugi View Post
just the 4 leds
Thanks. I don't know why they are saying it's broken then. I'll go ahead and find another place to do the inspection, and have them SHOW me what the issue is if they say anything about it - rather than them just try to charge me $140 for the part.

This is exactly the reply I needed to confirm I'm not crazy :D
Old 06-11-2015, 02:57 PM   #9
sex

Drives: 09 5DR
Do they happen to have another yaris on the lot?
sex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 03:10 PM   #10
MegaMatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sex View Post
Do they happen to have another yaris on the lot?
A new one for sure, not sure if they had any 07 or similar..
Old 06-11-2015, 04:04 PM   #11
shepd

Sounds to me like it's working. The way I read that is that it only applies if it exists when you bring it in for testing, it doesn't read to me that they care about how it was from the factory. I'm an ass, so I'd just remove the third brake light entirely and go back for a re-test. I might even leave a copy of the inspection law on the passenger seat. :P But I don't suggest you go that route. I've actually never had to argue inspections because everywhere I've gone has been more than reasonable.

That law even says specifically that the stop lights can be separated. So 4 individual LEDs should be fine. I think your dealer is just trying to bend you over for some cash.
Old 06-13-2015, 06:44 PM   #12
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
1985 and up passenger vehicles are required to have the 3rd brake light. Removing or disabling it can get you a ticket or fail inspection. Please stop spreading misinformation.

To the OP, the hatch just has the 4 red LED lights in the 3rd brake light. It meets legal requirements for all 50 states.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 10:55 AM   #13
shepd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
1985 and up passenger vehicles are required to have the 3rd brake light. Removing or disabling it can get you a ticket or fail inspection. Please stop spreading misinformation.

To the OP, the hatch just has the 4 red LED lights in the 3rd brake light. It meets legal requirements for all 50 states.
Required to have it for FMVSS, yes.

Each state has its own set of rules as to what constitutes a valid vehicle to drive. I know where I am (Ontario, Canada) there's no mention of needing to pass CMVSS (the Canadian version) anywhere in the highway traffic act, so there's no way to hit anyone up for a ticket based on that alone other than a manufacturer, dealer, or importer. It simply states the vehicle must pass safety. And, having read the requirements for passing safety, there is no rule about a third brake light.

I've had occasion to check this for random US states, and (no, I've never bothered with Cali) I haven't found any that require an FMVSS compliant vehicle after it leaves the dealer's driveway. It's rather fortunate that that is the case, or else hot rodding would be defacto illegal (how many people are willing to build several hot rods to smash up to receive FMVSS certification?)

I'm not trying to spread misinformation, it's simply that FMVSS and US state-by-state regulations on vehicle safety only overlap in certain ways. It's up to each person to decide for themselves what the rules are, that's why I would always encourage someone to review what their state laws say.

As to why I care... ...someday I'll import a vehicle from a rust-free US state. At that point the vehicle must comply with FMVSS as it is imported into Canada, plus a few specific CMVSS additions, although not all as exceptions exist in the import regulations (CMVSS is more stringent than FMVSS, but only by a little bit and not in any way that matters). FWIW, I have passed inspection with broken third brake lights in Ontario because of almost identical brake light regulations (we require two, CMVSS requires three but CMVSS inspections are not required nor offered).

Just to provide some confidence, here's a forum where people have dissected it for several US states. Apparently there are some outliers that require a third brake light as it is specifically mentioned in their state codes:

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...rake-light-law

However, as we can see based on his post, the OP's state doesn't require it.

Last edited by shepd; 06-15-2015 at 11:12 AM.