Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-25-2012, 10:52 PM   #217
edmscan

Drives: 2020 Corolla
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
indeed. One more strike against canada.
Personally I think that my life is worth something, so I will leave my DRL's intact. They are a safety feature of my vehicle (Besides in Canada we are required to have them).

I believe the stat is something like 57% (I think some Swedish study if I recall) less chance of getting into an accident with DRL's. So would I rather have them ... you bet. The alternative of being in a hospital and being mangled sure doesn't sound like fun.

So ... I will take the added safety they offer me and drive with my DRL's.

I know ... sometimes you may just think that your headlights are on and you have no rear tail lights .. yes this can be an issue, but I just turn my headlights on at night. Problem solved.

On my previous vehicle .. I just turned on my headlights all the time (just like wearing a seat belt ... it just became automatic when I got in the car).

I really don't mind the DRL's on my Yaris .. as hopefully they will prevent an accident. Oh yea ... for those that think that we are stupid in Canada for having DRL's, yea maybe but I will gladly take the added safety they provide.

Last edited by edmscan; 06-25-2012 at 11:35 PM.
edmscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:35 PM   #218
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmscan View Post
Personally I think that my life is worth something, so I will leave my DRL's intact. They are a safety feature of my vehicle (Besides in Canada we are required to have them).

I believe the stat is something like 57% (I think some Swedish study if I recall) less chance of getting into an accident with DRL's. So would I rather have them ... you bet. The alternative of being in a hospital and being mangled sure doesn't sound like fun.

So ... I will take the added safety they offer me and drive with my DRL's.

I know ... sometimes you may just think that your headlights are on and you have no rear tail lights .. yes this can be an issue, but I just turn my headlights on at night. Problem solved.

On my previous vehicle .. I just turned on my headlights all the time (just like wearing a seat belt ... it just became automatic when I got in the car).

I really don't mind the DRL's on my Yaris .. as hopefully they will prevent an accident. Oh yea ... for those that think that we are stupid in Canada for having DRL's, yea maybe but I will gladly take the added safety they provide.
Anyone can make up stats for anything, but saying low powered lights somehow make people see a car that they somehow would not have seen is an insane stretch. If it was that easy there would be no accidents at all.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:42 PM   #219
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Tinari View Post

BTW, I hate DRLs. Nothing like burning a light bulb out every 6 months...

FYI, Over 4 years on my OEM headlight bulbs with DRL's operational. Chances are the lower voltage used to run DRL's slightly dimmer than full headlight power does little to steal there life.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:15 PM   #220
The Limo

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Owned my Yaris since July 28, 2007 and it has DRL's. Both headlights still working fine.
When I was out last Sunday, driving down a country road, I noticed a car coming without DRL's. It was a sort of grey/black colour that matched the colour of the asphalt. I thought about this thread and how hard it was to see this car without DRL's compared to how easy it would be to see it if it had DRL's. After having DRL's for 23 years here in Canada, I think DRL's are right up there with sliced bread. To good of a safety feature to do away with if you have them. MY 2 cents worth.
Roy
The Limo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:57 PM   #221
edmscan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Limo View Post
After having DRL's for 23 years here in Canada, I think DRL's are right up there with sliced bread.
I think it comes down to the fact that some people just don't like to be told what to do. They feel that in some way their rights are being infringed upon. Personally I believe that those that have used DRL's for many years (ie Canadians) see the benefit in them and view them as something that helps us be safe.

I know that particularly when it is raining .. that having your lights on can make all the difference between being seen and not.

There will always be people that don't like to be told to do something .. and it is their business what they want to do when it comes to things like DRL's.

I personally am happy that I have something that is working to keep me safe while driving. Enough said .. and as this thread indicates, it is to each to decide if they want to have DRL's on their cars.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:46 PM   #222
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Limo View Post
Owned my Yaris since July 28, 2007 and it has DRL's. Both headlights still working fine.
When I was out last Sunday, driving down a country road, I noticed a car coming without DRL's. It was a sort of grey/black colour that matched the colour of the asphalt. I thought about this thread and how hard it was to see this car without DRL's compared to how easy it would be to see it if it had DRL's. After having DRL's for 23 years here in Canada, I think DRL's are right up there with sliced bread. To good of a safety feature to do away with if you have them. MY 2 cents worth.
Roy
So you are saying a car you obviously saw somehow needs nanny lights? Why?

Quote:
I think it comes down to the fact that some people just don't like to be told what to do. They feel that in some way their rights are being infringed upon. Personally I believe that those that have used DRL's for many years (ie Canadians) see the benefit in them and view them as something that helps us be safe.

I know that particularly when it is raining .. that having your lights on can make all the difference between being seen and not.

There will always be people that don't like to be told to do something .. and it is their business what they want to do when it comes to things like DRL's.

I personally am happy that I have something that is working to keep me safe while driving. Enough said .. and as this thread indicates, it is to each to decide if they want to have DRL's on their cars.
If I want my lights on I have a little turny thing in my car to turn them on. Not hard.

If you took out all the mandated safety garbage of the Yaris you'd have the car weighing at least 200 pounds less, probably a lot more. That means the car could do everything better, including better gas mileage and being able to avoid accidents better. It would also cost less, by thousands.

If you like drl's, good for you, you should be able to have them. if you like abs, or air bags, or traction control, or any other safety nanny, you should be able to buy it. But there is no reason it needs to be forced down my throat too, because it hurts the car in every way possible for a maybe that doesn't happen very often statistically.

A choice is one thing, deciding that everyone else is too stupid to make a choice is a whole different evil disgusting thing.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:12 PM   #223
edmscan

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
If I want my lights on I have a little turny thing in my car to turn them on. Not hard.
This is exactly what I did with my Honda Accord I used to own .. it was just automatic to turn on the headlights.

I do agree that it is better for people to have choices (and this thread recognizes this by allowing people to make their own choice).

I personally like the safety features that my Yaris has (and I'm more than happy to pay for them) .. as being a subcompact, you are probably smaller than the other party in a collision, and I want all the protection I can get whether it is airbags, abs etc.

You are lucky you don't live in Canada .. as we tend to be a more submissive society and as such we have to live with some things we may not always like. But given a choice .. I wouldn't want to live anyplace else.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:05 PM   #224
new-yaris-owner

Drives: Toyota Yaris LE HB 2008
Just did this little surgery, took about 10 minutes, so easy to do and NOW I will be the master of when I want to put my DRL on or off...
new-yaris-owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:50 PM   #225
edmscan

Quote:
Originally Posted by new-yaris-owner View Post
Just did this little surgery, took about 10 minutes, so easy to do and NOW I will be the master of when I want to put my DRL on or off...
You live in Canada *DOH* You can now expect to get a present from the police if you drive without them ???? (Unless of course you drive a really old car, which I see is not the case here as you drive a 2008 vehicle)

Not what I would have recommended. But everyone has the power to do as they please. It is a free country.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:15 PM   #226
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Quote:
This is exactly what I did with my Honda Accord I used to own .. it was just automatic to turn on the headlights.

I do agree that it is better for people to have choices (and this thread recognizes this by allowing people to make their own choice).

I personally like the safety features that my Yaris has (and I'm more than happy to pay for them) .. as being a subcompact, you are probably smaller than the other party in a collision, and I want all the protection I can get whether it is airbags, abs etc.

You are lucky you don't live in Canada .. as we tend to be a more submissive society and as such we have to live with some things we may not always like. But given a choice .. I wouldn't want to live anyplace else.
it certainly has nothing to do with where you live, in more than 1 way canada is to the freedom loving side of the US at this point.

It is more than a bit ridiculous that cars like the Honda CRX and that gen Civic could not be made now because they wouldn't have all the government mandated garbage. Totally absurd. Cars are getting heavier because of all this, which is hurting gas mileage and what is even worse is that it really can't be proven any of it actually saves lives. And at the same time the government is trying to mandate insanely high cafe standards, basically fantasy numbers at this point.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:03 PM   #227
iamzombie

Drives: 2007 yaris
Sorry to rez this thread from the dead, but I recently installed an HID kit in my wife's 2007 Yaris LB (canadian model) and have the problem from the OP where the HID's flicker when the DRL come on...

Is there anyway to retain DRL functionality but not cause undue wear on the ballasts for the HID kit?
iamzombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:06 PM   #228
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamzombie View Post
Sorry to rez this thread from the dead, but I recently installed an HID kit in my wife's 2007 Yaris LB (canadian model) and have the problem from the OP where the HID's flicker when the DRL come on...

Is there anyway to retain DRL functionality but not cause undue wear on the ballasts for the HID kit?
Yes - You can purchase a device from HID vendors that basically contains a relay and a capacitor. The relay switches power to the HIDs when in DRL mode and the capacitor keeps the relay latched, so the HIDs don't get the pulsed DRL signal.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:57 AM   #229
deltapark
I've made a post!

Drives: 2007 Yaris 3 door
Great Job!

Solves the problem and very good photos. It is way too easy to accidentally leave your headlights turned off when the daytime running lights are so bright. Not such a problem driving, but very bad from the rear because your tail lights don't come on with the DTRL's. I nearly got a ticket for not having tail lights but got away with just a warning when I explained what had happened. So thanks again for a job well done.
deltapark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 06:38 AM   #230
albee213

Drives: No longer own a Yaris
I didn't remove the relay, just unplugged it. Can someone tell me how to disable the little lights in the head lights when the park "running" lights are on?
albee213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 06:40 AM   #231
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by albee213 View Post
I didn't remove the relay, just unplugged it. Can someone tell me how to disable the little lights in the head lights when the park "running" lights are on?

Unplugging renders the fog lights not working if you have them. Hand brake light will also stop working
Old 10-08-2014, 08:46 AM   #232
Jerkratt

Drives: 08 Yaris Liftback S (RIP 07)
Send a message via AIM to Jerkratt
I re grounded the fog light wire. Fogs still work for me
Old 10-08-2014, 09:17 AM   #233
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkratt View Post
I re grounded the fog light wire. Fogs still work for me
Exactly. There is a DIY on here for disconnecting the DRL module and jumping the one wire to re-enable the fogs. All other lights (and the ebrake indicator) will work fine with it disconnected. The ebrake is actually just an input to it, so you can turn off the DRLs when parked
Old 10-08-2014, 05:36 PM   #234
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by albee213 View Post
Take the bulbs out lol I m gone replace mine with LED s

sent from my S4 on Mars
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote