Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-18-2017, 02:10 PM   #1
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
stores water in cowl and wets lower exterior windhield at first driving 2007 hatch

(stores water in cowl and wets lower exterior windhield at first driving 2007 Yaris hatchback)
Seems as if dew or squeegee water or rain may cause it. Car can be dry and not driven for awhile, but when first start driving, even just 25 mph, the lower exterior window wets out with drops or fogs up. Clears with wipers. Don't recall this earlier in my ownership...as if some drain hole has plugged, or some moulding has started to leak? Obviously a bad thing, considering rust, mold etc.
Snub nose styling by boutique outside design studio may have produced some unusual solutions in the cowl area? I've always seemed to find a lot of water in the engine compartment after washing w/ spray nozzle or water fed brush as I've done w/ other cars for decades. Others have reported flooded spark plugs. Then there's the stinky A/C bulletin I haven't seen and still don't know technically what it is or what the exact cause is.
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 03:37 PM   #2
B.B._07

Drives: 07 5dr
I suspect that one of the water drain holes under the plastic cowl trim piece are clogged and causing water to collect there. This can happen if you park under trees and leaves, pine needles, etc end up collecting in there. I'd suggest popping of the plastic cowl trim, and the metal piece under it to get a good look at the area. I've done it before when working on my exhaust manifold, the plastic cowl trim piece has a few plastic trim fasteners and the metal brace/frame under it is connected by a bunch of 10 mm bolts.
B.B._07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 09:32 AM   #3
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Thanks. Yeah. It was stuck like glued, but I finally got the top cover off. Been studying the shop manual's miniature exploded views of clips, screws and/or claws of that larger piece underneath.
Also want access to wiper mount fasteners. There's a difference from any other car I've owned-- if I extend both wipers away from the windshield and wiggle one fore-n-aft, the other one moves a little with it. I'm guessing it is due to some rubber in the wiper assembly mount screws? rather than loose screws? (or maybe I'm imparting a bit of rotation in the test wiggle?)
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote