Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-12-2017, 08:31 PM   #1
sigsauer13

Drives: 08 yaris sedan
is it just me or is my car too loud?

new to the forum...so i have owned this 08 yaris base model for 1 year now. bought it last year and got a fantastic deal on it. only had 9k miles on it when i bought it last year. i've noticed now that over the last 4 oil changes it's become rather loud. it's louder than it used to be when i first bought it. especially with the a/c turned on. anything i can do to make it run a lil bit quieter? everything is stock. there isn't anything wrong with the cat. no leaks, nothing that i can see. no performance issues from the day i bought it. it's just louder
sigsauer13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 11:29 PM   #2
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Turn the volume down.

On some seriousness, what's loud? Engine?
AC compressor makes noise. It's normal.

Failing water pump maybe? Or a squeaking belt?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-13-2017, 09:02 AM   #3
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Toyota yaris loud road noise tires intake exhaust doors

It is a loud car model. (Hatchback is...maybe your sedan less so w/ smaller doors.) Are tires original? Tires can make a lot of noise. I put quiet ones on everything now. Then you can hear pavement texture instead of tire tread. Which is cool, so turn off all infotainment and enjoy the car sounds. (Original intake and exhaust is very cool.)
Could be effect of paying attention to something once it is first noticed.
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 10:40 AM   #4
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Heres a suggestion. Get a large rag and start the engine. Before the tailpipe gets too hot, wad the rag up and seal the end of the tailpipe with it. Do you feel pressure? When you remove the rag does the pent up gas pop out with a rush? Or is there no sensation of pressure at all? If not then theres a hole in your exhaust system somewhere.

This is a quick and dirty way to test the exhaust system for leaks in general.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:31 PM   #5
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Heres a suggestion. Get a large rag and start the engine. Before the tailpipe gets too hot, wad the rag up and seal the end of the tailpipe with it. Do you feel pressure? When you remove the rag does the pent up gas pop out with a rush? Or is there no sensation of pressure at all? If not then theres a hole in your exhaust system somewhere.

This is a quick and dirty way to test the exhaust system for leaks in general.
Lol reminds me of this.

https://youtu.be/0qFW8aRtr60

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-14-2017, 11:21 AM   #6
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
I could see that coming....
Old 11-15-2017, 09:04 PM   #7
sigsauer13

have had my entire exhaust system looked at, no leaks. it's the engine that's loud. just being on, sitting idle in the dw it just sounds a good bit louder than it used to. even with the compressr off
Old 11-16-2017, 12:22 AM   #8
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Only 9K on a 2008 car? How many miles since? Engines often get louder as they break in. So maybe that is what is happening here. I noticed an increase in volume with my car as well. But what level of sound are we talking about? Slight increase? Or get out the earplugs level? If the former I wouldn't worry about it.

Also what weight oil are you running? I can definitely hear a difference between 5W-30 and 5W-20. (20 being louder). 5W-30 is the spec'd weight for the 1NZ-FE but the dummies at the dealer twice put 5W-20 in it during the free ToyotaCare maintenance.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 03:25 AM   #9
zoidberg444

Drives: Yaris 06 - 5dr hatchback
I've always found the Yaris pretty loud. They scrimped on the sound deadening compared to more expensive less fuel efficient cars or even other vehicles made by different manufacturers in the same class like the Honda Jazz. The engine in my Yaris is pretty unrefined too (the 3 cylinder model) its noisier than 4 cylinder engines.

One thing that might be making it a little louder is your tyres. I had 2 worn out old chinese tyres on the back. I had them replaced with new Falkens on all 4 wheels just before my euro road trip and it really seemed to quieten the car right down.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:56 PM   #10
sigsauer13

it's got 24k right now. been using 5-30 but will go to 5-20 once the temp dips. loudness is audible when you're paying attention to it. otherwise it's not as noticeable. since it's almost at 25k, do i need to do a tune up on it to see if it helps reduce the noise? i got a great deal on the car. lady traded it in with 9k miles and i bought it the day they put it out on the lot. she took really good care of it. EVERYTHING inside and out looked brand new