Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-21-2017, 01:10 AM   #1
X-WingYaris

Drives: Toyota
bad noise from front suspension

Its been a while since I have been on here

I bought my 2015 Yaris LE in March 2016 and in the first few months I had it I noticed a loud crunchy noise coming from the front suspension when I go over a bump. I have been to the dealership 5 times to get this checked under warranty (still under warranty 35,300 miles) and every time they say they cannot hear it. They tried to re-lube the joints and every thing to no avail. They replaced the front right shock early in 2017 and the front end still creaks. It doesn't make the noise every time but it will most of the time especially on speed bumps or turning the wheels going over something.

I took it 3 days ago to get it checked again and still nothing from the dealership. I am afraid its a problem they wont be able to fix until the warranty is over.

Also, the VIN does not match the recall for the known suspension recall

Any suggestions?
X-WingYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 01:04 PM   #2
hairygityeti
Sir Rustalot

Drives: Toyota Yaris silver 2000 reg
suspension mystery

[QUOTE=X-WingYaris;805075]Its been a while since I have been on here

I bought my 2015 Yaris LE in March 2016 and in the first few months I had it I noticed a loud crunchy noise coming from the front suspension when I go over a bump. I have been to the dealership 5 times to get this checked under warranty (still under warranty 35,300 miles) and every time they say they cannot hear it. They tried to re-lube the joints and every thing to no avail. They replaced the front right shock early in 2017 and the front end still creaks. It doesn't make the noise every time but it will most of the time especially on speed bumps or turning the wheels going over something.

I took it 3 days ago to get it checked again and still nothing from the dealership. I am afraid its a problem they wont be able to fix until the warranty is over.

Any suggestions?[/QUOTE
Dont know but my friend has a similar problem like a grinding noise from his front springs when turning.

Last edited by hairygityeti; 10-21-2017 at 01:08 PM. Reason: text unclear
hairygityeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 01:49 PM   #3
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
could be a worn upper strut bearing if it happens when you turn the wheel. If it happens when the wheel is straight it is less likely but still possible. Easiest way to figure it out is to get under the car yourself and have someone bounce the car (on ramps) to try and re create the noise while you inspect.

Warranty work isn't fun for dealer techs (decreased book rate) so they don't have as much incentive to actually want to fix the problem or chase it down, neither do the dealerships them selves.
Old 10-21-2017, 04:18 PM   #4
hairygityeti
Sir Rustalot

[QUOTE=hairygityeti;805098]
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-WingYaris View Post
Its been a while since I have been on here

Any suggestions?[/QUOTE

Dont know but my friend has a similar problem like a grinding noise from his front springs when turning.
Thank you!
Old 10-21-2017, 07:04 PM   #5
X-WingYaris

I tried to push down on the front of the car to see if it makes noise but the car wont travel up and down much (I guess that is good).
In regards to turning if I am on flat ground and turning it doesn't make it. If I am in a way for the suspension to compress or decompress and I am turning then it'll make the noise.
It is random yet consistent. I'll go over the same bump three times and it might only make the noise once and then the next day two out of three times. I tried to record it but I could only get it so faintly in the recording. Hopefully I can get a tech to ride with me before my 36k mile mark.
Its just odd for a newer vehicle. I have had to replace a wheel bearing, a front left shock and rear bumper all under warranty and the car is less than three years old. I've driven a 16 year old Acura that never had crunchy suspension or bad wheel bearings. end rant.
Old 10-22-2017, 01:57 AM   #6
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Did this car see any winters in the salt belt?

Reason I ask is because I had a similar problem, although I would describe my noise as "clunking" as opposed to "crunchy". In my case it turned out to be a rusted lower control arm bolt. You can read my story here:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57576

It is highly unlikely (almost impossible) that this would occur anywhere other than areas that see harsh winters and significant road salt.

Good luck and let us know what it turns out to be.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 03:21 AM   #7
X-WingYaris

I agree, "clunk" is a better word to describe the word

I live in the triad of North Carolina where they most definitely over prepare for when winter weather looms its dreary doom forecast. Salt everything! Even if it is only going to rain in the winter. The car came from 1 year at the coast of NC to the middle of NC.

I just read through your thread and I believe that is exactly what I am going through. My car drives fine and brakes fine and turns just fine. Its that damn clunk noise when going over bumps. And it is very intermittent.

I have 600 or 700 miles left under warranty but I have a stupid 400 mile round trip that I have to take for work coming up in 2 days. After I return I am definitely going to go to Toyota with this and do my best to convince them of this issue.

Can you show me what parts you ordered and what you did? If they wont do it then I guess I will or get a mechanic I trust.
Old 10-22-2017, 04:05 AM   #8
X-WingYaris

I looked under the car and took photos of what I could and hopefully if my phone works I can upload photos of suspect bolts

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk
Old 10-22-2017, 09:44 AM   #9
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Mine also make noise, nothing of clunking, but more like th noise of a rubber ring trying to spin on a dry rod.

I suspect the control arm pulling on the bushing causing the noise when travel movement is excessive.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-22-2017, 02:01 PM   #10
NYC-SE

Those are not the lower control arm bolts.

Read this thread for all you need to know about the LCA bolts:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27658

You will need a 2' breaker bar to remove them and a 1/2" drive torque wrench to reinstall. Can be done with the car on the ground. You might want to try and re-torque them first.

Again this is a long shot as to what is causing the noise. Double check everything else first.
Old 10-22-2017, 06:28 PM   #11
X-WingYaris

I'm taking it to Toyota and leaving it there from Monday til Thursday since I'll be out of town. I am hoping that I can convince them to search every single possible bolt and crease and bushing under the car to find out what it is. I hope they can and will fix it seeing I only have 600 miles left on the warranty.

Also, would you hear a slight sloshing sound like fluid moving around when initially moving the vehicle? Such as reversing and turning the wheel. It'll go away after the steering wheel is straight and the sound wont come back. Seeing if it is related in any way
Old 10-22-2017, 07:20 PM   #12
NYC-SE

Never heard such a sound.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:55 PM   #13
hairygityeti
Sir Rustalot

Is it possible to upload a sound bite ( sound recording ) of these problems ? im new to the whole PC thingameebob so please excuse my ignorance.
Old 10-23-2017, 07:14 PM   #14
X-WingYaris

I've been trying to capture it on my camera a few times and the sound doesn't really come through.

I got the car to the dealership and the tech rode with me and got to hear the noise. Finally! I'll find out eventually what's going on.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk
Old 10-30-2017, 08:32 PM   #15
X-WingYaris

Got my car back from the shop and they replaced the left front strut. I took it home and it was soundless and smooth as butter. Fast forward two days and the noise is back.

I called the Toyota shop and spoke with the main guy in charge about it. I explained to him I am going out of town for a wedding and it'll put me over my warranty mileage but he did say when I bring it back to the shop they will still honor the warranty. I am hoping so.

I am wondering if they are lubricating some parts and once the lube moves away from parts the sound is coming back.

They had the car for 5 days and checked all over to see what was making the clunking noise and all they got was a new strut. I've had both front struts replaced.

If we cant figure this out I am wondering abut trading for a new Yaris or get a new car.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:08 PM   #16
NYC-SE

Explicitly ask them to remove and inspect the lower control arm bolts. They will probably tell you that they are not a possibility and reject your request. That is what happened in my case and they were in fact the cause of the clunking. There are only so many things that can be causing this noise and at this point most of the usual suspects have been eliminated.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:16 PM   #17
X-WingYaris

I had the service techs and a foreman ride with me and we got to hear the noise quite well so they knew what to look for. I mentioned the LCA bolt issue and they said they were aware of it and would look at it when they had the car. I am hoping they actually did and thus found nothing wrong.

When I take it back I will have them ride with me again for the noise. This will be the 6th time for this problem. The fact is they made it go away somehow and yet it came back.

I did get a trade in offer for the car that would take care of the balance that I owe plus some and def getting tempted to take the offer.
Old 11-18-2017, 09:37 PM   #18
X-WingYaris

The dealership couldn't fix the noise. It only got worse after my trip....all highway.

Traded in the Yaris for a new car.

Tags
suspension