Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-04-2015, 10:49 AM   #1
firebird1999us

Drives: 2003 Mach 1
Question Repainting, Xpel protective covering application dilemma??

So my yaris has 230k miles at present and I do LOADS of highway driving so the front bumper gets hit pretty hard by road debris, rocks, and fallout from all the construction areas I go through. I had the front end repainted after some bumper damage last July and it's already in rough shape again...

I've been reading about the 3m clear bras and looked into other companies like Xpel for clear front end coverage.. Xpel seems to have come a long way and their product looks pretty impressive.

My dilemma is this - I want to have the front end of my jolt yellow yaris repainted but from my understanding I'll need to allow the fresh paint to cure before application of a clear bra. But that means 1-2 months of the paint exposed to the commute which will likely result in a stone chip bonanza!?!

So my solution is buying a second hood and front bumper on the cheap, having them repainted, waiting for them to outgas/cure, and then having them wrapped with Xpel and installing them. I can probably grab the bumper and hood on the cheap locally and just go from there....

Any suggestions for how else to approach this?
firebird1999us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 11:22 AM   #2
aspro

Drives: 2011 Yaris RS 5 door 5 spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebird1999us View Post
So my yaris has 230k miles at present and I do LOADS of highway driving so the front bumper gets hit pretty hard by road debris, rocks, and fallout from all the construction areas I go through. I had the front end repainted after some bumper damage last July and it's already in rough shape again...

I've been reading about the 3m clear bras and looked into other companies like Xpel for clear front end coverage.. Xpel seems to have come a long way and their product looks pretty impressive.

My dilemma is this - I want to have the front end of my jolt yellow yaris repainted but from my understanding I'll need to allow the fresh paint to cure before application of a clear bra. But that means 1-2 months of the paint exposed to the commute which will likely result in a stone chip bonanza!?!

So my solution is buying a second hood and front bumper on the cheap, having them repainted, waiting for them to outgas/cure, and then having them wrapped with Xpel and installing them. I can probably grab the bumper and hood on the cheap locally and just go from there....

Any suggestions for how else to approach this?
Drive without a hood and bumper! That would be awesome, although, your rad might get chewed up :p

TRD sway bar, h&r coilovers, tanabe strut tower bar, konig feather, bfg sport comp 2, MI intake manifold, aem cai, dc header, trd catback, MI crank pulley, trd short shift kit, phillips hid kit, morimoto led fogs, parrot navi indash, alpine 6.5 speakers, alpine amp, alpine reverse camera, led interior lights, thule roof racks, netz badges...
aspro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 11:25 AM   #3
firebird1999us

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspro View Post
Drive without a hood and bumper! That would be awesome, although, your rad might get chewed up :p
Not feasible for like 2000-4000 miles of driving! Not to mention my wife would likely start questioning my sanity more than she does now!

Randomly - anyone have any experience with Martins Auto Parts on ebay? They have loads of parts for the Yaris super cheap... Looks like I could do the hood and bumper for like $210-220 combined with free shipping and free returns!

Last edited by firebird1999us; 11-04-2015 at 12:26 PM.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:10 AM   #4
paulge3

Drives: '11 Yaris
Factory paint is baked at a higher temperature for a longer period of time while local body shops do it at a lower temperature for a shorter time, so repainting your hood needs some time to fully cured. The recommend waiting time is 30 days.
paulge3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 11:28 AM   #5
firebird1999us

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulge3 View Post
Factory paint is baked at a higher temperature for a longer period of time while local body shops do it at a lower temperature for a shorter time, so repainting your hood needs some time to fully cured. The recommend waiting time is 30 days.
Yep that's my dilemma... I've been looking at replacement hood and front bumper from a place called Martins on ebay (new non factory replacment panels) and also through car-parts.com (salvage yard replacement parts)... I'll be having whichever I get repainted, then allow it to cure, then installing xpel after like 2 months in storage at my house... I'll fit the parts to make sure they match up correctly first as well;)