Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-01-2008, 07:05 AM   #1
Woody_Woodchuck

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB 5M
Clear coat chipping due to acid rain?

I waxed my Absolutely Red LB a week after bringing it home, early August as I recall. Soon after I noticed what appeared to be water spots on the top and hood, not on the plastic bumpers. I tried waxing them out and seemed to get most but not all of the ring off. You could feel it was a crater, like the clear coat was missing. I figured I’d show the dealer when I went in for my 5,000 mile service.

Waxed it 2 more times after that using Mothers California carnuba. The dealer’s detailer looked it over and attributed it to acid rain and said he had never seen it happen before. I pressed to have corrected as it is a new vehicle and looks horrible in the sun when it is all washed. One service person said sanding and a new clear coat was what would correct it. The manager said they could wet sand and wax to correct. I specifically told them that I would like it fixed so it would not occur again. I was told the wet sanding would do the trick but that I’d have to keep up on a wax schedule – 3 or 4 times a year – to protect the paint. I’m alright with waxing but am leery that wet sanding will correct and prevent this from happening again.

Any thoughts or has anyone dealt with this before? I could not find anything using search about this. I'm thinking of letting them do the sanding/waxing and bring it back in if it happens again.

Thanks in advance!

- Woody
Woody_Woodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 07:25 PM   #2
bzinn 1

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
First try claybar to remove the rings and contaminants.then polish and then wax.
bzinn 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 08:35 PM   #3
Bob_VT

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
Pretty new Yaris and you pointed it out to the service manager?

Now contact the service manager and ask to speak with the Toyota Area Service Representative. You should be able to make better progress with him.

You should do this now and not wait.

Come to the DARKSIDE..... We have candy
Bob_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 06:50 AM   #4
Woody_Woodchuck

Thanks, it goes in tomorrow. I would just like it to look new, it is only a couple months old. I’ll ask to speak to the area rep tomorrow before they do any work.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:58 AM   #5
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

Drives: 15 STI
Send a message via AIM to mikenacarato
i just noticed chips in the paint on my hood and i just hit 1000 miles :(
mikenacarato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:01 AM   #6
Bob_VT

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody_Woodchuck View Post
Thanks, it goes in tomorrow. I would just like it to look new, it is only a couple months old. I’ll ask to speak to the area rep tomorrow before they do any work.
Good idea. There are measuring devices (found in better run body shops) that will measure the thickness of the paint.

Come to the DARKSIDE..... We have candy
Bob_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 03:49 PM   #7
Woody_Woodchuck

These aren't chips as in paint chips. They look just like water spots but you can feel them using a fingernail. I have a couple of dings in the front bumper, a hazzard of the Raleigh area constant construction.

Getting in this morning I brushed the key against the door, by the handle. Damned if it didn't scratch right down to white. Guess I'll ask for a bottle of touch-up paint while it is there!
Old 12-02-2008, 04:00 PM   #8
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
Another NC driver, Yes!
back to the topic...

Does it appear like the clear coat has flaked off in a spiked circle shape? I had a problem with the clear coat magically coming off in random patches. I bought it For sale by owner and he said he kept it clean all the time (not bird poop) and so I had it re-sprayed by toyota under warranty due to a paint defect... now its been a month since the warranty has gone up and another patch has started to form on my side door, at the bottom. I dont know what causes it???

shitty paint job I guess...
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 09:29 AM   #9
Woody_Woodchuck

Yes, jagged, circular to oval, just like a water spot. Tons of them too not just one or two. I would say that there isn’t a square inch of the roof that doesn’t have at least one or two in it. Hood is about the same and the sides, above the door handles, have many fewer. Many are doubled, meaning one was there and another formed partially over it and created another divot.

Next time you wash your waxed Yaris notice where all the water beads and sticks. Now imagine a few more washes, that is what it looks like.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:15 PM   #10
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
wow. Definately take it to a toyota body shop and get them to look at it. Sounds like your paint has some sort of problem. Mine has the same problem as a lot of Yaris owners also have, but mine is a lot slower and has only occurred in three locations. only one spot was fixed before the warranty ended :[

I just figure its gonna happen and there is no odvious way to stop it unless you repaint he whole car ($$$). Yours sounds bad though!!!
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote