Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-11-2014, 11:11 PM   #1
Yangs

Drives: 4 Door
Sam's Club bad gas?

I'm one of the Sam's Club Member I been using their gas for the last pass 30 days. This morning while I was filling up with gas at Sam's Club I notice a lack of MPG on the highway but funny thing is that I didn't notice any poor performance. Every time I fill up full, I always reset the odometer just to keep track of my mileage of every fill up. I normally fill up when it gets to 380 miles mark with name brand gas such as BP and Shell. After filling up with gas at Sam's Club, my first gas bar disappear right at 60 miles on HWY but with other name brand gas such as BP and Shell I get up to 80+ mile until the first bar gas disappear city or HWY. I didn't understand why. Then I wanted for 120 mile mark because that's normally where the second bar disappear. But then it disappear right at 80 miles. I'm not sure if their gas have any thing to do with the poor gas mileage. If that was the case I will never purchase their gas again.

I change the plugs and oil before I started using Sam's Club gas. I have no modification done to the engine nor computer. My car is a 09 4 door Yaris.
Yangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 11:19 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
It could simply be the sensitivity of the pump shut off point. The Yaris fuel tank holds over a gallon more than the fuel level sender can read, so a pump's shut off point can make a significant difference in the miles for the first bar.
Old 05-12-2014, 12:14 AM   #3
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
It could simply be the sensitivity of the pump shut off point. The Yaris fuel tank holds over a gallon more than the fuel level sender can read, so a pump's shut off point can make a significant difference in the miles for the first bar.
Yippee! After quite a few 'Scanguage, etc showing the pump click off point is accurate' posts (from different people), it's nice to know that a variation is at least POSSIBLE. That is enough to satisfy me. I'll continue to do my 'fill until I can barely see gas in the bottom of the neck', as I have always done. I know (to most people).....crazy. Perhaps I am too cynical, but it didn't make sense to me that the click point would be the same 100% of the time. Even if the click point only ends up being different 1 time out of a 100, that is still enough to keep me in my routine. Perhaps I am just stubborn .
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 07:27 AM   #4
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
It could simply be the sensitivity of the pump shut off point.
Yep. Wife filled up the Yaris last month. Handed me the receipt when she got home and I told her there was no way she had filled the tank. Sure enough, when I input the details into my tracking log, the mpg for her fill-up was incredible, and the mpg for the subsequent fill-up was deplorable.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:10 AM   #5
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
yeah.. i never really go by the the miles done with the first bar on the gauche.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:08 PM   #6
Yangs

Quote:
yeah i do notice that the tank hold more fuel. i hope its not the fuel level reader playing tricks on me. before it wasn't like this, until i started adding cheap fuel. i'll wait until i empty the tank and refuel with name brand gas and add octane booster or maybe racing fuel to remove the old gas. i hope this works.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:11 PM   #7
Yangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
yeah.. i never really go by the the miles done with the first bar on the gauche.
that's the only way i can figure things out, unless i have a scan gauge or some kind of MPG instruments gauges.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:09 PM   #8
mirapatec

Drives: 2012 Yaris L, 2020 Yaris LE HB
I have a friend who will never buy from Sam's ever again. He had a bad experience with what was apparently inferior gas. He now shops at better gas stations.

I admit I am sometimes swayed toward cheap gas, but then I remember that a bargain is not always a bargain. When offered the option, I go for non-ethanol gasoline.

mirapatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 02:37 PM   #9
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yangs View Post
that's the only way i can figure things out, unless i have a scan gauge or some kind of MPG instruments gauges.
that's why you watch your consumption over a period of time.. and always use the same pump.. drive until light flash, fill up, check how many miles you've done. calculate MPG and start over.

You will be able to tell by the 2nd tank of gas if it's good or bad. If the tank wasn't full, then you'd get crap mileage and then super good mileage on the next tank.

cuz the 1st bar on the gauge means really nothing.. i usually get around 90km on the 1st bar, but if i fill it up more than usual, i get up to 160km on the 1st bar.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:25 PM   #10
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
that's why you watch your consumption over a period of time.. and always use the same pump.. drive until light flash, fill up, check how many miles you've done. calculate MPG and start over.

You will be able to tell by the 2nd tank of gas if it's good or bad. If the tank wasn't full, then you'd get crap mileage and then super good mileage on the next tank.

cuz the 1st bar on the gauge means really nothing.. i usually get around 90km on the 1st bar, but if i fill it up more than usual, i get up to 160km on the 1st bar.
yea, but it is better to just keep track and write everything down, over a year or so you can really tell what your gas mileage is.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:21 AM   #11
Yangs

Quote:

thanks for the advice but i wouldn't want to wait until it start flashing nor trying to travel back to the same pump while im running low on gas. i done some research about Sam's Club gas. some say their gas mileage goes bad, it actually cost them more money than to save. i'll wait until the end of the week and refuel again with better gas this time and see if that will solve the problem.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:27 AM   #12
Yangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirapatec View Post
I have a friend who will never buy from Sam's ever again. He had a bad experience with what was apparently inferior gas. He now shops at better gas stations.

I admit I am sometimes swayed toward cheap gas, but then I remember that a bargain is not always a bargain. When offered the option, I go for non-ethanol gasoline.
dang really?
Old 06-04-2014, 01:25 PM   #13
mirapatec

Drives: 2012 Yaris L, 2020 Yaris LE HB
@ Yangs. Yeah. He had an issue with apparently "too much water" in the fuel. His car ran horribly. We siphoned out as much from the tank as possible. The gas did not look normal to me in the container. We did not test it or anything. We then went to O'Reilly's (auto parts store) and bought some Seafoam to add to the new gas (Enmark) in the tank. Everything worked fine after that.

Granted, it may have just been a bad batch of gasoline since we all know it sometimes happens.

On a side note, when I used to drive a VW Jetta, I remember sitting the waiting area for service and hearing another guy getting the bad news about buying diesel fuel from Murphy's (Walmart). He had to have his tank drained and several other things done to put everything back to rights.

Not that I am an expert in these matters, but Walmart/Murphy are almost synonymous, and since Sam's is basically Walmart, I can extrapolate.

mirapatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 03:26 PM   #14
UberSilver

Drives: 08Yaris2D, 88LandCruiser.
My first bar drops at about 68, no matter what gasoline I use.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:41 PM   #15
Yangs

BUMB its been a while from trying out different gas station from fuel treatment to trouble shooting. i come to a conclusion that petrol have nothing to do with the problem im having and it could be a faulty fuel level sending unit or a faulty fuel indicator. every time when the fuel indicator reads nearly empty and blank rapidly, i fill it up and the pump stops at 8+ gallon. this happens to all the petrol gas station in town. i know the fuel tank hold more than 10 gallon. therefore im assume it could be a faulty fuel level sending unit. what do you guys think? thanks in advance!!!
Old 08-29-2014, 09:08 PM   #16
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yangs View Post
BUMB its been a while from trying out different gas station from fuel treatment to trouble shooting. i come to a conclusion that petrol have nothing to do with the problem im having and it could be a faulty fuel level sending unit or a faulty fuel indicator. every time when the fuel indicator reads nearly empty and blank rapidly, i fill it up and the pump stops at 8+ gallon. this happens to all the petrol gas station in town. i know the fuel tank hold more than 10 gallon. therefore im assume it could be a faulty fuel level sending unit. what do you guys think? thanks in advance!!!
That is very possible. The fuel level sender is a resistive device that feeds the instrument cluster. The sender would be the problem, not the cluster's indicator. I have a couple of tested spare one on hand if you are interested.

You can also check it out first with a multimeter. The violet wire in Pin 3 of the larger connector is feed from the sender. If you unplug the connector you can measure the resistance to ground on that wire. You would run it down to the flashing bar and then take measurements on that wire while filling the tank. Chances are that you will find that you have an open section in the resistive strip where the cluster sees that as empty. If you measure while filling you will likely see an open circuit initially and then all of the sudden you will hit a point where it pops to a much lower (and correct) resistance.
Old 08-30-2014, 04:32 PM   #17
jack black

Drives: 2007 red Yaris HB AT
I used to have corolla that was very sensitive to sulfur in gas. Both walmart and samsclub gas (i think it's murphy brand) gave it a huge stink.

From now on I only buy top tier gas.
jack black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 05:18 PM   #18
Yangs

Quote:
That is very possible. The fuel level sender is a resistive device that feeds the instrument cluster. The sender would be the problem, not the cluster's indicator. I have a couple of tested spare one on hand if you are interested.

You can also check it out first with a multimeter. The violet wire in Pin 3 of the larger connector is feed from the sender. If you unplug the connector you can measure the resistance to ground on that wire. You would run it down to the flashing bar and then take measurements on that wire while filling the tank. Chances are that you will find that you have an open section in the resistive strip where the cluster sees that as empty. If you measure while filling you will likely see an open circuit initially and then all of the sudden you will hit a point where it pops to a much lower (and correct) resistance.
if you have a picture of the resistive strip of the pump assembly i would love to see it. because i would like to be aware how it looks like before i start tearing things apart. if you do i will be really appreciated. thanks for the reply!!!