Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-22-2009, 05:46 PM   #1
wiirenet

Drives: Black '09 2dr HB
Send a message via MSN to wiirenet
Stupid question regarding 5,000 maintenance

So I don't have my maintenance booklet with me, so I don't know what exactly needs to be done at 5,000 miles but I really wanted to post this now for time to get replies.

My car is at about 5100+, and the oil change sticker says I need a change at about 6800. Do I still need to go to the dealer for a 5,000 checkup? (they emailed me)

Also, if a 5,000 check is important, how important? I just found out I might be using my car for a trip from chicago-madison, wisconsin this weekend (about 125 miles one way mapquest tells me, and i will be driving there and back ) Will it be an awful strain on my car to drive it that far without having the 5,000 check? Can I wait until after the trip?

Or am I worrying about nothing and my '5,000 check up' should be performed at 6,800 like my oil change sticker says?

Thanks from the noob!
wiirenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:04 PM   #2
sex

Drives: 09 5DR
http://smg.toyotapartsandservice.com...=2009&int_id=1

Replace engine oil and filter 1
Rotate tires
Visually inspect brake linings/drums and brake pads/discs

Additional Maintenance Items for Special Operating Conditions:

Driving on Dirt Roads or Dusty Roads
Inspect ball joints and dust covers
Inspect drive shaft boots
Inspect engine air filter
Inspect steering linkage and boots
Tighten nuts and bolts on chassis and body

Applicable Footnotes:
1) Reset the oil replacement reminder light ("MAINT REQD") or the message "OIL MAINTENANCE REQUIRED" on the multi-information display after engine oil replacement.

It sounds like you already changed your oil so just rotate your tires
sex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:23 PM   #3
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
Take your trip and enjoy. You should try to follow a regular maintenance schedule, whatever it maybe.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:41 PM   #4
wiirenet

Hmmmm thanks hopefully the 350+ miles won't mess up the tires or anything! I'll try to do it next week. (btw I don't have any maintenance light on)
Old 10-22-2009, 06:47 PM   #5
advocate

Drives: car
The 5,000 mile checkup is there and a good idea but remember it IS a Toyota. You could go 50,000 before taking it into a shop. Enjoy the trip and take it in when you get back. The Yaris won't mind.

However your mileage sounds a bit low. If the car is very new then this is okay. If you've had the car for a while and don't drive very often then you might want to consider switching from mileage based checkups to time based checkups.
advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:29 PM   #6
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiirenet View Post
Hmmmm thanks hopefully the 350+ miles won't mess up the tires or anything! I'll try to do it next week. (btw I don't have any maintenance light on)
The light will start to flash at start up at 4500 miles after the last reset and will stay on at 5000 miles after the last reset. When you bought the car how many miles were already on it?
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:36 PM   #7
wiirenet

I bought my car new 7 months ago (is 5,000 miles a normal amount to have after 7 months? or low, or high?) I've had one oil change, but I can't remember when. According to the sticker I need my next one in I think November or at 6800 miles. So no, I haven't had a light come up, its just the fact that my car is as 5,000 that's worrying me.

but thanks for the replies! i'm guessing its not am emergency to get to the dealer if I don't have a light blinking
Old 10-23-2009, 04:56 AM   #8
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Not sure why you are worrying about 5000 miles,when i bought my 08 the first week i owned it i went for a 10,000 mile trip out and around the west coast,i remember stopping in Brainerd MN for an oil change.
I'd stop worrying,the dealer is there to take your money and remind you of all maintenance schedules,its a Toyota so drive it for 5 or 6 years then trade it in for another one,its only an economical commuter appliance not a Ferrari.
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 01:57 PM   #9
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
The only thing they do at 5000 miles is change the oil and rotate the tires. Look in your owners manual and you can learn what your car needs when. For pitys sake dont rely on the stealer!
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 05:10 PM   #10
b_hickman11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
The only thing they do at 5000 miles is change the oil and rotate the tires. Look in your owners manual and you can learn what your car needs when. For pitys sake dont rely on the stealer!
He stated in his first post that he does not have his book.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:01 PM   #11
Yarold n Kumar

Drives: 2009 3dr lb
Here's another nooby question:

when we rotate, do we need to balance too?

When I went to the dealer for the first 5000 mile service, I had the oil changed, and asked for the tires to be rotated. However, the salesperson said that I would need to have them balanced as well. He said, "what's the point of rotating if you don't balance?" and then gave me a screwy look. He quoted me a price of 80 bucks for the rotation and balance, above the 30 dollar oil change.

Sounded kind of high to me, so I said no thank you.

What's the deal? When do we need to ask for the tires to be balanced?
Yarold n Kumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:21 PM   #12
chai
Go Duke!

Drives: '09 Sedan AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarold n Kumar View Post
Here's another nooby question:

when we rotate, do we need to balance too?

When I went to the dealer for the first 5000 mile service, I had the oil changed, and asked for the tires to be rotated. However, the salesperson said that I would need to have them balanced as well. He said, "what's the point of rotating if you don't balance?" and then gave me a screwy look. He quoted me a price of 80 bucks for the rotation and balance, above the 30 dollar oil change.

Sounded kind of high to me, so I said no thank you.

What's the deal? When do we need to ask for the tires to be balanced?
If the service booklet doesn't tell you it's required, be veeeery skeptical. Your tires were mounted and balanced at the factory, why pay to have them balanced at 5K miles? Maybe if you drive on the Ho Chi Minh trail...
chai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:03 PM   #13
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
My tires lasted a lot longer balancing them every 5k when they rotate, than when I was only balancing them every 10k. I wouldn't pay for a balancing though.... I get them free at discount tire(comes with every tire)... kinda sad they are charging 80 bucks and you bought a car from them.

Screw the dealer, screw your stock tires. Burn through them however you want, get real tires from discount tire, and then balance those every 5k, for free
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:14 PM   #14
b_hickman11

Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
My tires lasted a lot longer balancing them every 5k when they rotate, than when I was only balancing them every 10k. I wouldn't pay for a balancing though.... I get them free at discount tire(comes with every tire)... kinda sad they are charging 80 bucks and you bought a car from them.

Screw the dealer, screw your stock tires. Burn through them however you want, get real tires from discount tire, and then balance those every 5k, for free
or.....buy your tires at a lower wholesale price from Tirerack and take them to Wal-Mart and have them put on. After that you will have free rotations with Wal-Mart. Will save you a bunch of $ over Discount Tire.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:08 PM   #15
supmet
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_hickman11 View Post
or.....buy your tires at a lower wholesale price from Tirerack and take them to Wal-Mart and have them put on. After that you will have free rotations with Wal-Mart. Will save you a bunch of $ over Discount Tire.
Can I have a link to this magical program where they spend 100 dollars rotating and balancing tires for life after you spend 20 dollars mounting?

I googled wal mart tire rotations, and all of the first hits were just from ripoffreport.com and the like, from people complaining about horrible service and tire warranty issues.

Even if said magical program exists, and the techs at wal mart didn't eat paint chips, I'd like for there to be an option outside of wal mart for tire needs 10 years from now, so I'll stick to other sources. Go ahead and spend your money sucking the life blood out of america. I'm sure the guy rotating your tires not getting paid overtime would like to take a break from reading up on how to apply for welfare while employed by wal mart.

Discount tire always honors my tire warranties, which is why I basically can't shop anywhere else. Find me tires on tirerack that are 250 dollars cheaper than discount tire, because that is what I get prorated off my next set of tires, and the last, from treadlife warranties.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:13 PM   #16
TheSilkySmooth

Drives: 08 3DR 5M Bayou Blue; 09 Fos
No need to balance if you dont have balance problems. I dont even rotate, The rears will last forever - then you only have to buy fronts. Tires (due to "belt set") dont like being moved around. Stealer trying to steal your money - what else is new?.
TheSilkySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:03 PM   #17
supmet
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilkySmooth View Post
No need to balance if you dont have balance problems. I dont even rotate, The rears will last forever
This is a blanket statement for your driving style. Rotating and balancing help period, more for a spirited driver, but they help regardless.
Old 01-09-2010, 02:47 AM   #18
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
not gonna lie, the only reason i have always rotated tires was because the fronts start to ware down and get less grippy, right before winter i put the brand new tires from the back onto the front.

te balancing is jsut incase the rim now has chunks missing or the tire wore unevenly, it will give u a smooth ride.

i do it to survive the winter