Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-03-2010, 02:27 PM   #1
maximapitko

Drives: Nautical Blue Yaris Sedan 5spd
07 yaris 4d4 automated manual serious issues

Hello people,
my mom drives a 07 yaris 4d4 with the stupidest most lame tranny ever created-automated manual. I have never experienced a more inefficient, jurky and plane stupid transaxle in my life and I am beyond shocked that toyota would decide to put it in one of their best selling vehicles. Either way, two days ago the car just wouldn't move and just rev. The local dealer doesn't seem to have a clue about this tranny so their diagnosis states that it needs a new tcm. My questions for people here that have some knowledge about this unit:

-does the car have a separate computer for the engine and a separate one for the tranny (most of the newer cars that I work on have only one controlling both engine and tranny)
-does this problem ring a bell for anyone?
-the car has only 44k km (26k miles) and is out of warranty due to age. Do I have a chance if i write to toyota about this in hope that they'll back their product due to the ridiculously low miles?

Thank you in advance for any input.

P.S.
car is in bulgaria, eastern europe.
maximapitko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 08:24 PM   #2
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Write a NICE letter to Toyota asking if they'd cover at least half the repairs and that you're disappointed that your low millage Yaris left you stranded with no other means of transportation. If the dealer won't help you write to Toyota of Europe's head office.

Just remember, be NICE.

Flaming them won't get you anywhere.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 02:53 AM   #3
firemachine69
School'er of hard knocks

Drives: Silver Yaris 4dr. HB
There's no such thing as an automated-manual transmission. In a Yaris...

The automatic is as true of an auto as they are, the stick shift is a very plain 5-speed affair.

Perhaps you're just too clueless to realize you're supposed to put it in D (or "4", not sure what's marked on the tranny column out east), and leave it there, unless you're doing some pretty heavy driving up the hills with a trailer (or maintaining traction on a slippery slope).

I had to mention it, I just heard some yuppie do the same crap with his BMW last week.
firemachine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 12:46 PM   #4
maximapitko

Drives: Nautical Blue Yaris Sedan 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemachine69 View Post
There's no such thing as an automated-manual transmission. In a Yaris...

The automatic is as true of an auto as they are, the stick shift is a very plain 5-speed affair.

Perhaps you're just too clueless to realize you're supposed to put it in D (or "4", not sure what's marked on the tranny column out east), and leave it there, unless you're doing some pretty heavy driving up the hills with a trailer (or maintaining traction on a slippery slope).

I had to mention it, I just heard some yuppie do the same crap with his BMW last week.
I'll try to ignore the comment about me being clueless. There is such a thing as an automated single clutch manual transmission available in Europe. It can also come with steering wheel paddles and the car overall is available with a market specific options such as a navi, start stop button, 9 air bags, integrated bluetooth and so on.

I already sent toyota a nice professional email about the situation so we'll see...
maximapitko is offline   Reply With Quote