Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-20-2007, 01:53 AM   #1
fmicle

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Fuel economy

I hope you don't mind my starting a new thread on the subject, but the previous one had 1,200 replies, so it's a hassle to browse through

I just wanted to brag a little about the mileage I get on my 2 month old Yaris. I read some people's posts about not getting the advertised 34 mpg. I am really stunned... I'm getting constantly 35+ mpg city driving and I'm not even trying!

Last 3 times (including this morning) I refueled and calculated the mileage I got over 35 mpg. Who needs a hybrid? Yaris rulz. And Toyota in general rulz

So, to those who get a poor mileage with their Yarii: don't blame the car, it's always the driver
fmicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 04:40 AM   #2
TOOL
I <3 Cars!

Drives: Honda Fit S
What model Yaris do you have?
TOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 03:18 PM   #3
fmicle

The 2007 Liftback, with manual transmission.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:17 PM   #4
foober

Drives: two yaris liftbacks
i don't understand why some folks are getting just 30 miles to the gallon. I'm still getting around 38+ miles to the gallon at 8,000 miles. Only thing I do possibly different is I don't do jack rabbit starts. And ease into gaining speed.
foober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 07:24 PM   #5
blacksan

Drives: 07 Bayou Blue Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by foober View Post
i don't understand why some folks are getting just 30 miles to the gallon. I'm still getting around 38+ miles to the gallon at 8,000 miles. Only thing I do possibly different is I don't do jack rabbit starts. And ease into gaining speed.
If you closely watch people drive it is easy to see wasteful habits like you mentioned. I went on a trip with a friend recently and we drove her Subaru which gets pretty good fuel mileage, but she does just about everything wrong including hard acceleration between stop lights and constantly fluctuating speeds (fast/slow/fast/slow) on the interstate. I drove it with a mild approach to acceleration and steady speeds on the interstate. She was puzzled why I had obtained the best mileage the car had ever experienced when she couldn't even get close.
blacksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 04:57 PM   #6
fmicle

Can never emphasize enough: it's not the car, it's the DRIVER! :-)

My previous car was a Jeep Cherokee, EPA rating 16/21 mpg. One trip, 2 years ago, I got 28 mpg, driving over 500 miles on one tank of gas!

But still, the car poses some limitations of course, there is only so much the driver can do ;-)
Old 05-21-2007, 08:23 PM   #7
flint_mica_manual

Drives: S Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmicle View Post
The 2007 Liftback, with manual transmission.
I'm still a bit stunned with the avg of 35 mpg. I got 32 mpg out of my 1.8L 15 year old gSI with 140 hp. I consistently get between 43 and 45 mpg with my yaris sedan -- 43 is when I use the A/C. I never drive above 2 grand tho, and then lock in the cruise at 55.
flint_mica_manual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 08:33 PM   #8
blacksan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flint_mica_manual View Post
I'm still a bit stunned with the avg of 35 mpg. I got 32 mpg out of my 1.8L 15 year old gSI with 140 hp. I consistently get between 43 and 45 mpg with my yaris sedan -- 43 is when I use the A/C. I never drive above 2 grand tho, and then lock in the cruise at 55.
It is a real mystery to me why some folks that reportorially drive responsible are getting crappy fuel mileage? I have not calculated my current tank of fuel, but 40+ average for every gallon since new. If it is like any other vehicle I have owned fuel mileage will increase after break in. Do you use the same brand/octane fuel on each fill up? I have gotten better fuel mileage by changing brands in the past.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:57 PM   #9
flint_mica_manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksan View Post
It is a real mystery to me why some folks that reportorially drive responsible are getting crappy fuel mileage? I have not calculated my current tank of fuel, but 40+ average for every gallon since new. If it is like any other vehicle I have owned fuel mileage will increase after break in. Do you use the same brand/octane fuel on each fill up? I have gotten better fuel mileage by changing brands in the past.
No, I buy 87 when ever I get low, where ever I am. I try not to pay attention to price on a day to day basis. Statistical speaking it doesn't matter much. Tho, last week I did drive past the station at 3.30. On my way home I saw 3.09. But I would never drive around "looking" for the best price -- that is damn near guaranteed to waste gas and cost more. This week everybody is up to 3.38. Sticker shock next fill up? Who freaking knows.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:00 PM   #10
blacksan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flint_mica_manual View Post
No, I buy 87 when ever I get low, where ever I am. I try not to pay attention to price on a day to day basis. Statistical speaking it doesn't matter much. Tho, last week I did drive past the station at 3.30. On my way home I saw 3.09. But I would never drive around "looking" for the best price -- that is damn near guaranteed to waste gas and cost more. This week everybody is up to 3.38. Sticker shock next fill up? Who freaking knows.
What state are you in?
Old 05-21-2007, 09:05 PM   #11
flint_mica_manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksan View Post
What state are you in?
Indiana.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:12 PM   #12
Elroy

Drives: 07 Blazin Blue Yaris
I paid 3.08 here today....
Elroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 09:22 PM   #13
blacksan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
I paid 3.08 here today....
$3.09 here. When you get out to the Interstate as high as $3.19.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:28 PM   #14
churp
Clean and (dis)Functional

Drives: Yaris 2dr--Black Betty
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmicle View Post
Can never emphasize enough: it's not the car, it's the DRIVER! :-)

...... ;-)
Ya, I agree....after getting just below 35mpg avg for the 1st 4,300 miles, I drove a little better (still ocassionally I'm at 70 tho) and the last 3,000 miles avg better than 39mpg and have gotten 42 on a couple tanks (anytime it hits half a tank I fill up cause I hate paying too much at once and I usually need an Icee)
Old 05-21-2007, 10:58 PM   #15
jamal1984
The Beautification of Car

Drives: Toyota Yaris S
Send a message via MSN to jamal1984
i got great gas mileage by speeding and turn on my AC. Yeah believe it, i normally got 34-35MPG, but last week i'm getting tired of riding like a gramma 65-75 on HW. Less AC....... So i speeding most of the time on HW 80-90 AC Heavily and guess what, fill up my gas yesterday and i got 38 almost 39 mpg. Ain't it weird?
Same Routine everydays. i think my yaris is weird and sick, but i love it.
jamal1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 12:25 AM   #16
Lillydot
Absolutely Red!!!

Drives: 07 A/T Yaris Liftback
i think i'm a decent driver. i don't do hard starts and i try to accelerate slowly and steadily, but i only get 28 mpg! i use the DFCO (or whatever the abbreviation is!). there's not much else i can do! i mean, i'm still getting more miles per gallon than my last car, but i was looking foward to 30+ miles a gallon!
Lillydot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 03:59 AM   #17
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillydot View Post
i think i'm a decent driver. i don't do hard starts and i try to accelerate slowly and steadily, but i only get 28 mpg! i use the DFCO (or whatever the abbreviation is!). there's not much else i can do! i mean, i'm still getting more miles per gallon than my last car, but i was looking foward to 30+ miles a gallon!
now this is funny, I do quick starts, drive around like a crazy man pushing my car kinda hard.... and I still obtain about the same MPG and you 28-32 MPG
but I am running 0w-20 full synthetic to get better gasmileage, a CAI helps a bit with mileage, and opening up my exaust help with the mileage to a point... I am sure there are other things I could do, I just do not care, long as I keep it around 30 mpg... I am thinkin about rippin out my back seats and spare for a lil weight reduction
Old 05-23-2007, 04:31 AM   #18
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Woohoo just hit an all-time high of 31.5MPG! Hard to pinpoint a cause for this increase, though, since I had the crank pulley installed, an oil change to synthetic, and a lot less short distance driving than usual... Nevermind, I'm happy! Especially as the gas prices have also reached an all-time high! Funnily enough, higher-octane rated fuel is cheaper than this plain old one, since it is an ethanol mix... I might just have to try that next tank...

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote