Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-19-2009, 01:00 PM   #19
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Hmmm I'm not sure about USDM cars but mine has a little sticker in the gas door that says it's fine to use with gasohol (what they call the ethanol mix here, it's about 10% too). I'd think Toyota would know it is a common fuel mixture now and whatever components that could be affected, wouldn't be?

Ethanol is certainly not the greatest thing to happen to automobiles, but it is here to stay...

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 03:08 PM   #20
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
I tried acetone and it didn't do squat for my Tacoma. I was using it on a 1500 mile trip where I meticulously, measured out the ounces by the book. No difference in MPGs what so ever. Don't do it. It eats certain types of plastic. It's not worth the 0% improvement.
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 03:22 PM   #21
kou

Drives: 08 lb
a good article on why ethanol/e85 sucks compared to gasoline.e85 US it was only brought out to help the farmers and GM for a short period once the govement's set amount has been produced hopefully it will disapear. http://www.edmunds.com/advice/altern...3/article.html
kou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 03:50 PM   #22
ZING

Drives: Yaris '09,GTi '09, BMW 3.30ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsmitchell View Post
It's not worth the 0% improvement.

hahaha
ZING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 05:26 PM   #23
spookz
JDM yO!

Drives: '09 3dr. 5-spd
Yeah, my AUDM Yaris has a sticker inside the fuel lid saying 'Suitable for use with ethanol (e10)'. So I guess Toyota has designed the fuel system to be usable with ethanol blended fuels.
spookz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 06:16 PM   #24
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsmitchell View Post
I tried acetone and it didn't do squat for my Tacoma. I was using it on a 1500 mile trip where I meticulously, measured out the ounces by the book. No difference in MPGs what so ever. Don't do it. It eats certain types of plastic. It's not worth the 0% improvement.
there is no book that tells you exactly how much to put in your car.. start out slow, 1oz at a time and increase by the .5oz til you see improvement. then add a half ounce after that and see if it still improves. if not, revert to the last amount you were putting in.

i guess this "idea" is only as innovative as the experimenter
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:51 PM   #25
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
Tamago- I did just as you said closely following what seemed to be a reputable artical on this topic. This was in 2005 with a 1998 4-Runner with the 3.4 V6 with 110,000 miles. It didn't do anything for mileage at any concentration. After the first tank however, the engine did seem to idle smoother as if I had added a bottle of fuel injection cleaner. Maybe it was just in my head, but acetone is a very powerful solvent and very well could have cleaned the gunk out of the fuel system. I don't know... Then I added it to my wifes 2004 4-Runner (4.0 V6) with 32,000 miles. Less than a month later it was at the dealer with a suspected blown head gasket. We traded it off and I've never added acetone to anything ever again. Coincidence?
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:58 PM   #26
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetersRedYaris View Post
Tamago- I did just as you said closely following what seemed to be a reputable artical on this topic. This was in 2005 with a 1998 4-Runner with the 3.4 V6 with 110,000 miles. It didn't do anything for mileage at any concentration. After the first tank however, the engine did seem to idle smoother as if I had added a bottle of fuel injection cleaner. Maybe it was just in my head, but acetone is a very powerful solvent and very well could have cleaned the gunk out of the fuel system. I don't know... Then I added it to my wifes 2004 4-Runner (4.0 V6) with 32,000 miles. Less than a month later it was at the dealer with a suspected blown head gasket. We traded it off and I've never added acetone to anything ever again. Coincidence?
because .0000000002% (joking lol) acetone is gonna melt a semi-metallic headgasket lol
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:30 AM   #27
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
I would think that adding 3-6 ounces of any flammable liquid will improve your gas mileage a little bit because you are adding more fuel by adding "eg" Acetone.If adding this product is just to save a few pennies at the pump Gas would have to be around $20 a gallon before i would waste my time experimenting with it.
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 04:09 AM   #28
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
Just found this thread ,and thought i would share a experiance ,i had about 6 years ago .
me and my mates used to buy old craped out cars and take out to my fathers
farm and race them until they died , one of these times we ran out of fuel
but in the work shop we had a 44 gallon drum , of acetone poured 10litres into the tank , the car went from idling at 750rpm to a idile of 3000rpm
touch the throttle and it would go straight to the limiter at 6500 .
Made for a lot of fun .We played with the blends (ie %) acetone to fuel
but never really sore any performance gain from it at all, if anything the more aceton we put in we gained revs and lost power.
Thats my 2 cents worth
Oh and both the cars we used it in caught fire through ruptered fuel lines
as the aceton ate through them .
but it was a lot of fun
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 07:14 AM   #29
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I would think that adding 3-6 ounces of any flammable liquid will improve your gas mileage a little bit because you are adding more fuel by adding "eg" Acetone.If adding this product is just to save a few pennies at the pump Gas would have to be around $20 a gallon before i would waste my time experimenting with it.
that's not how it works but OK lol
you nailed it sir.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:16 AM   #30
Bredayaris

Drives: Toyota Yaris 1.3 vvti cvt
I know someone who used a little bit of acetone to fill up a Toyota Starlet.
After a few weeks the petrol leaked out of the car.
Bredayaris is offline   Reply With Quote