Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-28-2008, 11:41 AM   #1
natethegreat38
Party like a Barack star

Drives: '08 LB MT
After the first oil change...

I still don't have enough miles on my car to have had the first oil change yet, but I heard that your mpg/ FE will improve slightly/dramatically once I get it changed for the first time...

Can you please share your experience?? Can you confirm/deny this??
Old 10-28-2008, 12:16 PM   #2
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
I have 2 Yaris's and neither one of them got an increase after the 1st oil change. Of course I have never got less than 36 mpg in either one of them.
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:07 PM   #3
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Switch to synthetic and you'll see a little extra bump.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:40 PM   #4
natethegreat38
Party like a Barack star

how much "little extra" ?? Does it justify the cost of the oil??
Old 10-28-2008, 01:42 PM   #5
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
I saw 1-2 MPG. That isn't why you should be using synthetic, though. You should use synthetic because it is better for your engine and gives it a chance to last longer.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 03:33 PM   #6
SpaceShot

Drives: 2008 Yaris 5 speed HB
I noticed a 1.5 Mpg increase, after the first change and putting in Mobil 0W syn. But I also got a similar increase from a K&N filter, and from adjusting the tires from 28 to 42psi.

I can't prove if it was the oil, engine break-in, or just my habits adjusting to the new ride. Good news is that for a number of reasons, your MPG should increase by some measurable amount in the first year.

I did see a short lived increase after the second change (120+ mi/day adds up) but my situation changed and I added a carpool mate 2 days week which lowered my average a similar amount.

With the same car but at the opposite end of the country I am getting 40 - 42, with a high of 44. Weekend driving and other things slightly change my results from tank to tank, and "your results may vary..."
SpaceShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 03:43 PM   #7
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
you should always change your oil the first time before 3000 miles.. that's break-in oil inside your engine and it needs to come out after 1000miles..
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 03:59 PM   #8
natethegreat38
Party like a Barack star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
you should always change your oil the first time before 3000 miles.. that's break-in oil inside your engine and it needs to come out after 1000miles..
Wouldn't Toyota recommend that I have the oil changed before 3k miles then? If it will prolong the life of their produce, you'd think that they would mention this...
Old 10-28-2008, 04:05 PM   #9
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by natethegreat38 View Post
Wouldn't Toyota recommend that I have the oil changed before 3k miles then? If it will prolong the life of their produce, you'd think that they would mention this...
common sense tells you that toyota does NOT want their product to last forever, then who would buy parts for repair?

dealers make more money fixing cars then selling cars ;)
Old 10-28-2008, 04:22 PM   #10
natethegreat38
Party like a Barack star

True that Toyota doesn't want their engines to last forever, but common sense also tells you that they don't want sludge (or break-in oil) in their engines either. They didn't build a reputation of being dependable by fixing cars, they built their reputation by manufacturing cars that required little service. ;)
Old 10-28-2008, 04:32 PM   #11
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by natethegreat38 View Post
True that Toyota doesn't want their engines to last forever, but common sense also tells you that they don't want sludge (or break-in oil) in their engines either. They didn't build a reputation of being dependable by fixing cars, they built their reputation by manufacturing cars that required little service. ;)
if you knew the number of engines that toyota has replaced for free off the books (due to engine sludge) to keep their reliability numbers so high, you'd be sad.. i worked for a dealer for 3 months.. in that span i saw 2 V6's and at least 5 4cyls come in with blown engines.. all oil related.

i'm not knocking toyota, but why wait to take out that break-in oil? just because toyota doesn't tell you to do it does not mean you shouldn't... if i followed toyotas recommended 5000mile oil change on my car i'd likely destroy my engine..
Old 10-28-2008, 04:37 PM   #12
Stargate YARlantIS

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
I always go every 3k, I don't care what the dealers say about every 5k, I've had my LB for almost 2yrs now and love it, I never go beyond every 3k (sometimes every 3200) lol

I frackin' love my yota!!!

Peace, Love and Good Smoke!
--Tommy Chong
Stargate YARlantIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 05:43 PM   #13
jkuchta

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatch (red)
I'm running Motul 300V 5W-30, changing every 3-4K miles, and I'm getting 39-41 mpg (even with the new tires). In my experiance the 1NZ seems to respond to high quality synthetic motor oil quite well. The C60 trans also responds to Redline MT-90 trans fluid. I have a feeling both of these fluid swaps are a big reason why I'm getting such good mileage, seeing as how I don't drive for fuel economy in the least.
jkuchta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 06:28 PM   #14
natethegreat38
Party like a Barack star

Quote:
if you knew the number of engines that toyota has replaced for free off the books (due to engine sludge) to keep their reliability numbers so high, you'd be sad.. i worked for a dealer for 3 months.. in that span i saw 2 V6's and at least 5 4cyls come in with blown engines.. all oil related.

i'm not knocking toyota, but why wait to take out that break-in oil? just because toyota doesn't tell you to do it does not mean you shouldn't... if i followed toyotas recommended 5000mile oil change on my car i'd likely destroy my engine..
Tamago, but I worked for Toyota Motor Sales, USA (corporate) here in So. Cal for two years on a team that dealt especially with this concern. I know exactly how many engines Toyota has replaced due to oil gel.

Thanks anyway.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:48 PM   #15
briman

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris, automatic
Quote:
I don't agree or disagree. The verdict is out on this. I hear sound arguments from both sides of the fence. I have heard no real advantage to changing the oil in the first 1000 miles or 3000 miles for break in. In fact there are some really good and reliable sources that say to leave in the oil for the first full term for break in purposes.

I'm convinced no one can say with any certainty either way. So I'm going 5000 mile changes and staying with dino oil. I've done this before and the engine looks like new. I still plan to get 200,000 miles out of it. Then everything else is falling apart by that point.
briman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 07:52 PM   #16
natethegreat38
Party like a Barack star

^^^ true... It just seems that if it were best for the engine, Toyota would recommend in the Scheduled Maintenance Guide to change at first 3k miles, then every 5k after that. I am with you briman. I am doing 5k and expect this car to last forever :)
Old 10-28-2008, 10:46 PM   #17
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
I just changed the oil in my 08 this past weekend after putting 5000 miles on. The oil that came out looked brand new. I have also talked to several Toyota mechanics and they told me that the each engine is tested for 500 miles(calcualted by a computer) before they are dropped into the car, then they drain the oil and put new oil in.
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 01:22 AM   #18
bigjimmysrock

Drives: 08 lb
had first change today @ 2000 miles, dont see how it can hurt anything to change it but can think of many ways it can by not.... but i will continue at 5k ish from here on w/dino
bigjimmysrock is offline   Reply With Quote