Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-16-2008, 03:51 PM   #37
SilverGlow
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupacabra View Post
Changing the oil is the single most important thing that one can do to maintain and extend the life of their vehicle. On a new car....I recommend changing the oil at between 500-1000 miles. After that....I would change the oil every 3K miles or 5mo., whichever comes first regardless of synthetic oil or dino. This is my own style and I don't agree or disagree necessarily with any other regimen BUT do practice my own interval outlined above.
Would you please cite your scientific information on this strategy?

Or is it just how you "feel"?

If you go the scientific route and get UOA's on your oil, you will find that your strategy makes no sense, and has no basis in reality; none whatsoever.
SilverGlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 07:30 PM   #38
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
Good Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
if you knew the number of engines that toyota has replaced for free off the books (due to engine sludge) to keep their reliability numbers so high, you'd be sad.. i worked for a dealer for 3 months.. in that span i saw 2 V6's and at least 5 4cyls come in with blown engines.. all oil related.

i'm not knocking toyota, but why wait to take out that break-in oil? just because toyota doesn't tell you to do it does not mean you shouldn't... if i followed toyotas recommended 5000mile oil change on my car i'd likely destroy my engine..
Very good advice. I am about to change out my oil and I am at around 1000. You are right on target with your advice!
daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:36 PM   #39
06silveryaris

Drives: 2006 yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupacabra View Post
Changing the oil is the single most important thing that one can do to maintain and extend the life of their vehicle. On a new car....I recommend changing the oil at between 500-1000 miles. After that....I would change the oil every 3K miles or 5mo., whichever comes first regardless of synthetic oil or dino. This is my own style and I don't agree or disagree necessarily with any other regimen BUT do practice my own interval outlined above.

+1
06silveryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:34 AM   #40
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
i always thought that synthetic increase ur change period due to breakdown of the oil is a lot longer..if one will change the oil every specified change date is there a point to go to synthetic.
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:13 PM   #41
kou

Drives: 08 lb
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post
i always thought that synthetic increase ur change period due to breakdown of the oil is a lot longer..if one will change the oil every specified change date is there a point to go to synthetic.
if you drive like a granny it probaly will last a little longer, but we only have 3.3 quarts it can't last being abused.
your motor will last forever if you change your oil with regular oil every 2500 and you filter every 5000 miles this will be cheaper than one synth change.

the synth oil is good if you like to rev it out with its stabilty at higher temps. change every 3500-5000 with a new filter, sooner if you rev it out.

Last edited by kou; 01-20-2009 at 04:18 PM.
kou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 02:16 PM   #42
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
and they both get dirty at the same rate
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 04:24 PM   #43
kou

Drives: 08 lb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
and they both get dirty at the same rate
if you granny it synth will stay cleaner longer in a stock car.it handles the heat better therfore not getting that cooked look so fast.
kou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 05:40 PM   #44
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by kou View Post
if you granny it synth will stay cleaner longer in a stock car.it handles the heat better therfore not getting that cooked look so fast.
wtf is granny it?

my poor oil gets cooked immediately.. god bless twin/cooled turbos or it'd be worse
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 04:41 PM   #45
SilverGlow
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by kou View Post
Wow this thread contains lots of bool sheet.

What makes an oil dirty is fuel explosuin blow-by leaking from the combustion chamber past the rings into the oil. Syn and mineral oil get dirty exactly the same way and from the same causes.
SilverGlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:51 AM   #46
SeaYa
Is about to 'SeaYa' later

Drives: 08 MT Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by natethegreat38 View Post
i don't get why people change the oil so early!!?? I guess it isn't going to hurt anything, but it just seems like a waste of time and resources...
To the OP: 2008 Manual Sedan: I did see a slight increase (39 to 42) after my 5000 change (and the oil looked used obviously, but not sludgy, I agree with you, early oil changes for break in were a good idea in the past, but not now, especially not with Toyota..their cleanliness / 5S-Lean standards are top notch, I work for an OEM paint supplier, and seeing Toyotas Manf. standards are what got me looking at the Yaris). The two fill ups before the 5k change were 39ish, and the two right after were 42ish. I've been able to get 42/46 since then. I just had my 15,000 last week and switched to full synthetic, so I'll let you know how that goes.
SeaYa is offline   Reply With Quote