Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-18-2009, 09:52 PM   #1
YenOfIrrelevent
GreenRanger

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan
Pure Acetone increase MPG

Has anybody tried putting in Pure Acetone in their tank to see if it adds more mileage to your Yaris or any car at all?

I saw Kip's video and I also googled "Acetone Mileage" The articles and videos seems convincing but not so sure if it really does work.

Please post away if you have tried it or still doing it or have theories about it.
YenOfIrrelevent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:56 PM   #2
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
i've run up to 3ounces of acetone in 12 gallons and saw about 3mpg better.. and i didn't baby the car.

let's hear the naysayers get to it now lol
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:57 PM   #3
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
The biggest thing you will find is it won't work if there is alcohol in the fuel. Since there is alcohol in all gas now, the gains have become a lot less.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:47 PM   #4
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
The biggest thing you will find is it won't work if there is alcohol in the fuel. Since there is alcohol in all gas now, the gains have become a lot less.
i think you mean ethanol?
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:52 PM   #5
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
i think you mean ethanol?
Ethanol is a type of alocohol, lol. But yea, I remembering reading a guide about it a very long time ago that said using acetone with gas with alcohol in it didn't do anything because the acetone bonded with the water molecules in the alcohol and therefor didn't increase octane. Or some such. However now that we've had the stuff around for a bit, I am sure somewhere someone has figured out if it works with the new gas or not.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:00 PM   #6
YenOfIrrelevent
GreenRanger

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
Ethanol is a type of alocohol, lol. But yea, I remembering reading a guide about it a very long time ago that said using acetone with gas with alcohol in it didn't do anything because the acetone bonded with the water molecules in the alcohol and therefor didn't increase octane. Or some such. However now that we've had the stuff around for a bit, I am sure somewhere someone has figured out if it works with the new gas or not.
Hmmm... I like to hear if there is a new way to mix with the Ethanol, I just want to be absolutely positive before doing anything to my Yaris.
YenOfIrrelevent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:03 PM   #7
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Well, i can guarantee that it will not hurt your car. That is a fact. My father used it in a Jaguar for a while, and his mpg went up, and he has had zero problems relating to its use. Plus, the stuff is rather cheap, so it might not be too bad to try it out. Just make sure you don't let it touch your paint job, as acetone is the main ingredient in the majority of paint removal products.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:32 PM   #8
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
There is too much evidence online that this isn't a very good idea. I would error on the side of caution and never put this in your tank.
daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:51 AM   #9
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Acetone eats rubber and plastics, which happen to represent many seals and other parts used in the fuel delivery systems. Think about it... if it were such a great thing then every fuel brand would incorporate it.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 01:41 AM   #10
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
agree with bailout on this one... acetone is known to eat stuff, I would probably run it in a car that has say 150,000 miles on it once... if I believed there was gunk all up in its shit.... you know... to help clean it out really quick. But then again.. $16 in seafoam would probably do just as good.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:50 AM   #11
saplaymate

Drives: 08' HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by BailOut View Post
Acetone eats rubber and plastics, which happen to represent many seals and other parts used in the fuel delivery systems. Think about it... if it were such a great thing then every fuel brand would incorporate it.
Brian = smart
Old 01-19-2009, 10:58 AM   #12
Tamago

Quote:
yeah, the BEYOND GREEDY petroleum companies are going to put something in gasoline that will make us buy less of it
you nailed it sir.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:00 AM   #13
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by talnlnky View Post
agree with bailout on this one... acetone is known to eat stuff, I would probably run it in a car that has say 150,000 miles on it once... if I believed there was gunk all up in its shit.... you know... to help clean it out really quick. But then again.. $16 in seafoam would probably do just as good.
3oz in 10 gallons of gas....

that means there is a 3/1280 of acetone.. .00234:1

you get more damage from the ethanol in your gasoline which is up to 10% mix in today's gasoline.

acetone at these levels WILL NOT HARM YOUR ENGINE OR HOSES OR CAR.
you nailed it sir.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:09 AM   #14
SailDesign

Drives: .
http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/acetone.asp
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:38 AM   #15
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Lots of good info on Acetone as an additive on this site =http://peswiki.com/index.php/Talk:Di..._Fuel_Additive
Personnally i think the 1 or 2 mpg you might get from adding this stuff to your car is out weighed by the hassle of buying it ,putting it in the car without spilling it as it is the main ingredient in paint remover,storing the container of this flammable liquid,keeping precise mileage records to see if there is any mpg increase and thereby justifying use of the stuff, and risking gasket and seal damage if the nay sayers are right.
I'm too lazy to deal with it just for a supposed gain of a couple of mpg that i could achieve just as easy by slowing down 5mph.
Heres a good site that can give you better ways to improve mpg than pouring dubious concoctions down your gas tank.http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/

Last edited by jambo101; 01-19-2009 at 11:55 AM.
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:22 PM   #16
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDesign View Post
snopes is always out to disprove everything. it's still the internet, still was written by someone who has an opinion.

fact: it does work.

debatable: it's worth the time and effort
you nailed it sir.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:39 PM   #17
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
snopes is always out to disprove everything.
That is an inaccurate statement. Snopes often finds things are true, sometimes to my surprise.

Quote:
it's still the internet, still was written by someone who has an opinion.
The same could be said for any single link given to support the use of acetone.

Quote:
fact: it does work sometimes for some people in some cars.

debatable: it's worth the time and effort and potential damage to plastic and rubber parts in the fuel systems and engine
There - I fixed those for you.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:53 PM   #18
Tamago

Quote:

There - I fixed those for you.
you better stop putting fuel in your car at all then because that 10% ethanol you're allowing is doing FAR MORE DAMAGE than 3oz of acetone.

let's keep arguing, i'm feeling more and more retarded having to repeat myself about ethanol
you nailed it sir.