Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-21-2009, 09:00 PM   #1
glhsracer

Drives: 2008 Sedan MT
High MPG tires

I'll need to buy tires in a bit, was looking for suggestions for particular brands/types and sizes that return the greatest MPG. I would like the best of everything (MPG, low noise, best grip, lowest price, etc.) but realize that really won't happen, am willing to pay more for best return.

Anyone with an experience willing to share would be appreciated.

Glhsracer
Rural Michigan
glhsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:16 PM   #2
roadrunner
Yaris Hypermiler

Drives: 2007 Silver Liftback
I have been using the Goodyear Integrity (standard equipment on the Prius) on my Yaris for over one year. MPG excellent, low noise excellent, best grip fair, lowest price average, etc average. I can say I am pleased that I purchased them with new mag wheels. When they are new (less than 2000 miles) they do not grip very well. I paid $689 total with Sport Edition A7 Wheels from Tire Rack.com.
Old 08-22-2009, 01:03 AM   #3
Yar Is Word

Drives: Yaris 5 door liftback
this site is helpful:
http://www.tirerack.com/
Michelin Harmony is a good one
Yar Is Word is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:29 AM   #4
glhsracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner View Post
I have been using the Goodyear Integrity (standard equipment on the Prius) on my Yaris for over one year. MPG excellent, low noise excellent, best grip fair, lowest price average, etc average. I can say I am pleased that I purchased them with new mag wheels. When they are new (less than 2000 miles) they do not grip very well. I paid $689 total with Sport Edition A7 Wheels from Tire Rack.com.
Thanks for the info, good call to refer to what the Prius uses. Toyota would'nt spec out just any tire. I'll look into these.

glhsracer
Old 08-30-2009, 02:54 PM   #5
roadrunner
Yaris Hypermiler

Drives: 2007 Silver Liftback
what about the snow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glhsracer View Post
Thanks for the info, good call to refer to what the Prius uses. Toyota would'nt spec out just any tire. I'll look into these.

glhsracer
I did alot (many hours) of research before purchasing the Goodyear tires. I can say they were the right purchase for my Yaris, look at my 90 DAY average mpg.
How much snow do you get where you live in Michigan? In my area of PA we get maybe 12" of snow in a winter, so I can make do with the Goodyear tires. They are NOT a snow tire!

Last edited by roadrunner; 09-01-2009 at 08:47 PM.
roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 02:57 PM   #6
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

I'd say 90 average MPG in a Yaris is pretty good.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 05:34 PM   #7
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Hilton View Post
I'd say 90 average MPG in a Yaris is pretty good.
I put 400 PSI in my tires and its no problem
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 02:02 AM   #8
aca72

Drives: '07 Yaris S Sedan M5
My vote: Michelin Harmony

You really get what you pay for.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:00 PM   #9
ozmdd
Reluctantly Crouched...

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB M/T
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ling-2813.html
ozmdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:27 PM   #10
UTVitz

Drives: Black Vitz Liftback
I've liked the Bridgestone Potenza RE92's that came on the car from the factory-as they've worn my MPG's(average 45) have only gone up as rolling resistance has decreased. But, the price they ask is crazy-$100/per tire on average-that's Michelin territory. I do have to say in 30k miles they have never needed rebalancing at all and have wore evenly and provided good cornering characteristics along with a quiet ride. So, if you're thinking about them and like Bridgestones they get no real complaints from me for this car. I've researched the Harmony-and although I'm concerned a little about economy because it looks like a heavier tire, I think I'll give it a try since they cost the same as the Bridgestones. The new GoodYear FuelMax looks good in theory, but I think it's marketing hype with a price to match. You'd probably do just as well with any of GoodYears Assurance line which is what the FuelMax is based on. Good luck with your decision
UTVitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:00 AM   #11
glhsracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmdd View Post
Very helpful link, thank you.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:29 PM   #12
glhsracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner View Post
I did alot (many hours) of research before purchasing the Goodyear tires. I can say they were the right purchase for my Yaris, look at my 90 DAY average mpg.
How much snow do you get where you live in Michigan? In my area of PA we get maybe 12" of snow in a winter, so I can make do with the Goodyear tires. They are NOT a snow tire!
We get a bit of snow here in MI, it can become an issue. Last winter at the snow peak I took the easy way out and left the Yaris buried in snow (literally up past the windows) and drove my 4x4 Tacoma. Your 90 day average is very impressive. Thanks for the info.

glhsracer
Old 09-27-2009, 10:32 PM   #13
glhsracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTVitz View Post
I've liked the Bridgestone Potenza RE92's that came on the car from the factory-as they've worn my MPG's(average 45) have only gone up as rolling resistance has decreased. But, the price they ask is crazy-$100/per tire on average-that's Michelin territory. I do have to say in 30k miles they have never needed rebalancing at all and have wore evenly and provided good cornering characteristics along with a quiet ride. So, if you're thinking about them and like Bridgestones they get no real complaints from me for this car. I've researched the Harmony-and although I'm concerned a little about economy because it looks like a heavier tire, I think I'll give it a try since they cost the same as the Bridgestones. The new GoodYear FuelMax looks good in theory, but I think it's marketing hype with a price to match. You'd probably do just as well with any of GoodYears Assurance line which is what the FuelMax is based on. Good luck with your decision

The factory Bridgestones seem to be doing well. Thanks for your input. I used to live in the Salt Lake City/Bountiful area for a few years, worked at Research Park at the University.

glhsracer
Old 10-10-2009, 07:06 PM   #14
basslover911

Drives: Future Yaris!
Look for the Kumho ATX (i believe their called).

I put them on my Mazda a while back, GREAT tire that will last 70k miles. And me being a hypermiller, I gained about 2mpg's (35-37mpg). Will handle 51psi as well and its pretty light so its perfect (and you still have really good grip so you can still have fun)
basslover911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 06:05 PM   #15
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
I put 400 PSI in my tires and its no problem
heck, I run bare steel wheels with no tire mounted....u should see the saving$
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 08:14 PM   #16
RUFFSTUFF
Banned

Drives: 2009 TOYOTA YARIS SEDAN
I'm really getting to wonder about this place...!
RUFFSTUFF is offline   Reply With Quote