Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-08-2009, 08:01 PM   #1
N9QGS

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to N9QGS Send a message via Yahoo to N9QGS
Humming Yaris

(2007 Yaris S Sedan, 112,899 mi.) Okay I hope someone can share some insight. I had noticed over the last 3 weeks, when my car is stopped that I hear a humming coming from in the dashboard probably in the engine, its light in nature, but it seems to occur when Im in drive at a light or after putting the car in park. it tends to start at a low pitch hum and steady gets higher before disappearing, its very smooth in its change in pitch.

Too add to this I was able to have the hum sound occur very quickly sometimes when I shift between gears, doesn't seem to matter but lets say Reverse to Neutral, but its less than half a second, and its at the low sounding pitch always. but doesn't do this all the times.

On top of this when its doing the humming sound while stopped if I change the position of the steering wheel it can make it go away, it may start over after a few seconds.

never hear this sound while driving of course it have be covered by engine sound but I think its only occurring at idle. Any places to check?

I originally suspected maybe something with the power steering since it could go away with moving the wheel, but then when I noticed I could reproduce the sound briefly between shifts of the automatic, I kind ruled that out.

Ive added a link to the sound: http://public.me.com/n9qgs under folder Toyota Yaris, listen to hum.mp3, you will hear the increasing sound or hum, and then it stops, I changed shift the auto and it brought it back a little more.

Ron

Last edited by N9QGS; 10-18-2009 at 10:23 PM. Reason: added link to sound
N9QGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:53 AM   #2
Phaeton

Drives: Blazing Blue Liftback
Probably just a vibration from the engine, Mine does it too.
Phaeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:58 AM   #3
Lafiro

Drives: 06 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Lafiro
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22855

Read that thread, its in the General section right now. Its going off the topic so I may start a new thread. Now I see I am not to only one experiencing this.

Also shoot me your email and I can send you a short sound clip of the noise. Maybe its the exact same you have too, amoung a few other people here with the 07 yaris.
Lafiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:15 PM   #4
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
it is very likely the electronic steering assist. toyota service bulletins mention
you may hear it from time to time. tranny mode making the noise change ? still
could be steering (engine and tranny mounts and body twist will change it)
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 02:23 PM   #5
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
Strange never happens to idk what it could be
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 02:39 PM   #6
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
With your mileage, it could be a lot of things or a combination of things, mainly because of wear. It could be water pump to bearings. You have to isolate it as much as possible.

Last edited by yaris-me; 10-09-2009 at 11:16 PM.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 05:17 PM   #7
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
Sounds like it's just the cooling fan doing it's job

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:35 PM   #8
Lafiro

Cooling fan is so loud and smooth, it has NOTHING to do with that I hear.

I tested it again tonight and its not as loud anymore since I tensioned the belt more, but I can not hear it from above the engine bay with the car on in gear obviously.

I can hear it easy from under the car, like when I open up the windows or the door. I think its easier to hear from the drivers side then the passengers.

But from the top of the engine, I do not hear anything. Very Very strange.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:20 PM   #9
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

AC?
Old 10-10-2009, 02:30 AM   #10
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Try getting fuel system service if you never had it done especially at your high milage. Will help quite down engine idle and roughness.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 09:17 AM   #11
craigq

Drives: '07 Yaris, '12 GLI
Our 2007 Sedan w/Auto creates the same humming noise.

I had a friend in the car and we came to a stop, the car started making the noise and he said "what's that?" and I said "Oh, the car is probably going to blow up" as the pitch was rising and rising. The resulting look on his face was classic .
craigq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:01 AM   #12
Lafiro

Haha, my cousin asked the same thing when he heard the noise as well.

Also, I don't know how to service the fuel system.

And do we have to change out the fuel filter in our cars? If so, where is this located and what model # to get?
Old 10-11-2009, 02:02 PM   #13
trialsdork

Drives: '09 liftback, '91 pickup
Mine's been doing it from day one. It happens when I put it in R backing out of my garag. A.C. on or off, hot or cold. I've wondered myself...
trialsdork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 03:06 PM   #14
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsdork View Post
Mine's been doing it from day one. It happens when I put it in R backing out of my garag. A.C. on or off, hot or cold. I've wondered myself...
Yours may be the differential.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:09 PM   #15
Lafiro

Last night I got home, and it was doing it again.

Put it in neutral, it stopped.

Put it in reverse, it started again. Opened the hood, I can't hear it. But I can hear it from under the car, its just too low to stick my hands there at night/while its in any gear!!

I put the ebrake, and stood outside kneeling down, and lef tit in reverse, and kept turning the streering wheel just as the engine RPM's went down, and I noticed the sound every time I tirned the wheel.

This does not happen in neutral, and it does not happen with the car off and the power steering assist being active.

So what the hell can this noise be? Its driving me inside that I cant figure it out.

Seems like I need to get the car lifted in the air after a drive, have someone sit in it in reverse or drive and start turning the wheel to put load on the engine/alt. And then see from underneigh whats going on.

Its really annoying.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:11 AM   #16
Red Horse

Drives: 2008 Yaris sedan A/T
This humming also happens to me when idle, Im thinking it might be the ABS but not sure.

Last edited by Red Horse; 10-12-2009 at 12:41 PM.
Red Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 04:32 AM   #17
mhkritzinger

Drives: 1.8 3dr Yaris TS
hello!!

My 2006 yaris 1.3 got the same problem! it started doing it just after my odo struck 105000km. It happen usually when i'm stationary and my headlights are switched on or when i turn the steering wheel and the rpm drops a bit! mine sound like its coming from the rear left side of the car!

I climbed out one day and also noticed it underneath my car! i took it for a service and they couldn't find anything unusual!

It is really iratating and dunno what it could be!
mhkritzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 10:42 AM   #18
Lafiro

Yes, I too noticed the noise is more predominant on the left undercarriage.

So now that I have enough people also stating the same noise in their 07-07 Yaris, its time for someone with a lift or a friend to test this out. Only way now to figure this out is to drive the car, immediately get it on a left, and have a mechanic take a look while you sit up top with it in drive or reverse while turning the wheel slightly to produce the noise(force the engine rpm's to go down).... this is not always needed to be done as I stated before getting off a highway and going to a drivethru for some fastfood, without turning the wheel its loud enough.

Tags
humming, idle