Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-28-2010, 12:44 PM   #19
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddongbap View Post
I think most of the flat torque curve has to do with the VVT-i.
Yes, but it's the VVT-i adjusting the intake valve timing, interacting with the intake resonance. Change one or the other and you'll get different results. It doesn't operate in a vacuum. Well, it kinda does, but you know what I mean.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:06 PM   #20
Parmas

Drives: Vitz RS Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Hilton View Post
When you go changing around manifolds, you're likely to change the resonant frequency at which you get the optimum "ram" effect of the intake pulsations producing a positive pressure at the intake valve near closing, which gives you a bit of free "supercharging." The stock engine with the stock manifold has its torque peak at 4200 RPM, but has an amazingly flat torque curve across the whole band. You might end up getting a higher peak, but lose torque in the midrange and lose performance overall.
So your opinion is to leave it stock?

My intension is that I want an intake that produces more torque and power above 4500rpm compared to the stock one. I am aware I might loose low to mid range efficiency but that isn't important for my car as its not my daily car anyway.

To Bluevitz.... are you sure it is way out? How did you conclude that? visual estimate?
Parmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:44 PM   #21
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Smile

The only way to know what it will do is to try it, with a dyno run before and after under similar conditions. I suspect that the Prius manifold is tuned perfectly for Prius operating conditions, operating at midrange RPM with a VERY retarded intake cam to simulate Atkinson cycle operation. (Lets compressed air out the intake back into the manifold to drop compression, while keeping the full expansion stroke.) Whether its runner length also happens to be right for maximizing top end horsepower on an Otto cycle 1NZ-FE I don't know. There are formulas for calculating this stuff.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:02 PM   #22
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Smile

Here's a link with valve timing specs for the 1NZ-FXE that you can compare with the 1NZ-FE specs from that cars.ru link that's floating around here:

http://www.electrifyingtimes.com/priustechspecs.html
Old 06-28-2010, 03:20 PM   #23
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parmas View Post
To Bluevitz.... are you sure it is way out? How did you conclude that? visual estimate?
Back when I worked for Toyota Canada, one of the techs was trying to fit a 1ZZ TRD SuperCharger on a 2ZZ display motor and the 2ZZ was wider than the 1ZZ. And it's been confirmed that the 1ZZ manifold is too wide to fit the 1NZ.

So that how I know it's not even close, but if you still want to try, you always can. I'm just trying to save you the hassle.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 05:46 PM   #24
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I have an aluminum intake flange you can make a manifold with, if you're interested.

My custom intake with short runners, paired with a Celica GT-S throttle body gained us some good top-end hp, moved the power band over, and (of course) lost some torque in the midrange.

My next project is to regain some of that torque in our next tune.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 02:40 AM   #25
Parmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
I have an aluminum intake flange you can make a manifold with, if you're interested.

My custom intake with short runners, paired with a Celica GT-S throttle body gained us some good top-end hp, moved the power band over, and (of course) lost some torque in the midrange.

My next project is to regain some of that torque in our next tune.
If you can, upload a pic here of the intake flange

What do you think about the 2ZZ-GE intake Garm in terms of power & torque? Do you think there are reasonable gains over stock if I can make it fit?

How wide is the 2ZZ-GE throttle body?
Old 06-29-2010, 11:49 AM   #26
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

pics of the flange are on the MI forums.

The TB is a lot larger, I'll try and measure it, I think I took a pic of it side by side with the stock one.

Remember, I made 310 whp with an xB intake and throttle body, those are very small. If you're doing this for more power, it won't be that much more than stock parts.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:43 PM   #27
Parmas

Quote:
pics of the flange are on the MI forums.

The TB is a lot larger, I'll try and measure it, I think I took a pic of it side by side with the stock one.

Remember, I made 310 whp with an xB intake and throttle body, those are very small. If you're doing this for more power, it won't be that much more than stock parts.
Could you post a link to the flange since I cannot find it.

I don't know how much power will get with a 2ZZ intake+throttle body but certainly nobody knows since its never been done. Although I prefer a proven intake like yours garm which by the way ... will it be available worldwide?
Old 07-01-2010, 09:30 AM   #28
Parmas

I am about to decide to make this happen...

Parts needed:

- 1NZFE intake flange (Garm sells this)
- 2ZZ-GE intake manifold (still need to make some research to find some reasonable price)
- 2ZZ-GE 76mm throttle body (only if this does not come with intake manifold sale)

I already contacted an alumnium worker to align 2ZZ intake tubing with the 1NZ intake flange.

Questions:

- Does the 2ZZ-GE TPS and IDLE control sensors are the same wiring as the 1NZFE?

- Would it be a problem to match up the present throttle cable with the 2ZZ throttle body?

- Presently I have my intercooler piping at 2" diameter (50.8mm) combined with the stock 1NZ TB (55mm). If I go this route, do I need to increase intercooler piping diameter since the 2ZZ TB is about 3" diameter (76mm) ?

Share your thoughts
Old 07-01-2010, 11:27 AM   #29
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Would it be a problem to match up the present throttle cable with the 2ZZ throttle body?
I had an xB throttle on my car, then we switched to a Celica GT-S, it was a 90 degree difference, so Art had to make a new bracket to accomodate the changed angle.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:37 PM   #30
Parmas

Quote:
I had an xB throttle on my car, then we switched to a Celica GT-S, it was a 90 degree difference, so Art had to make a new bracket to accomodate the changed angle.
Here are 2 pictures of a 2ZZ-GE engine setup.

You will notice that throttle cable postion is different. Can anyone tell me which is normally the stock position one?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cable Throttle.jpg (154.2 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg Cable Throttle 2.jpg (293.6 KB, 66 views)
Old 07-01-2010, 08:36 PM   #31
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

The first picture is from a Celica, the second is from a Matrix or Vibe. You'd want the one from the Matrix/Vibe as it would be the closest to stock setup.

Edit, but you'd want the Celica manifold as it comes out straight vs at an angle.
Old 07-02-2010, 02:43 AM   #32
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
The first picture is from a Celica, the second is from a Matrix or Vibe. You'd want the one from the Matrix/Vibe as it would be the closest to stock setup.

Edit, but you'd want the Celica manifold as it comes out straight vs at an angle.
Lolvibe. The Matrixclone.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 02:43 AM   #33
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Hilton View Post
Yes, but it's the VVT-i adjusting the intake valve timing, interacting with the intake resonance. Change one or the other and you'll get different results. It doesn't operate in a vacuum. Well, it kinda does, but you know what I mean.
FO SHO!
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 02:47 AM   #34
Parmas

Quote:

Let's get this straight...
The intake manifolds are the same everything right?
Only throttle body is different? Are they the same size?
Could be that throttle bodies are interchangable?

Yes I was thinking about the 2nd aswell....

RE: Matrix throttle body angle.... I think it is better like that for me due to the limited space into the engine bay although a straight one is cleaner!

If I decide to use the celica throttle body, Can I use the same throttle cable just at a different route?
Old 07-02-2010, 09:32 AM   #35
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parmas View Post
Let's get this straight...
The intake manifolds are the same everything right?
Only throttle body is different? Are they the same size?
Could be that throttle bodies are interchangable?

Yes I was thinking about the 2nd aswell....

RE: Matrix throttle body angle.... I think it is better like that for me due to the limited space into the engine bay although a straight one is cleaner!

If I decide to use the celica throttle body, Can I use the same throttle cable just at a different route?
The Celica manifold TB mount is strait and the Matrix is up on the angel. The Celica Throttle Cable is routed along the firewall and around the motor, the Matrix is like the Echo/1st gen Yaris.

So for the same setup as the Echo, you'd want the Celica manifold and the Matrix TB.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:24 AM   #36
Parmas

Quote:

So for the same setup as the Echo, you'd want the Celica manifold and the Matrix TB.
Can you confirm that the celica and matrix manifolds are the same ? (not including throttle body)