Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-06-2010, 12:42 PM   #1
Vioz

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Vioz
Pulley System Question

I just changed my belt because i noticed my belt was starting to rip up, on one side of the belt there was a nice long piece missing so it looked as if it was hanging on for dear life, thank god i noticed it doing an oil change.

Anyways, not sure how many miles you are suppose to change your belt, i hit 66k miles with my yaris and this was the first time i had to change it?

if its suppose to be every 100K miles of some sort do you think the NST pulleys have something to do with it?

Also my NST water pump pulley has a nice groove in it from the belt, should i replace it with a new pulley, not sure what is the average life on the water pump pulley but it looks like theres not much that pulley can take?

Vioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 01:31 PM   #2
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vioz View Post
I just changed my belt because i noticed my belt was starting to rip up, on one side of the belt there was a nice long piece missing so it looked as if it was hanging on for dear life, thank god i noticed it doing an oil change.

Anyways, not sure how many miles you are suppose to change your belt, i hit 66k miles with my yaris and this was the first time i had to change it?

if its suppose to be every 100K miles of some sort do you think the NST pulleys have something to do with it?

Also my NST water pump pulley has a nice groove in it from the belt, should i replace it with a new pulley, not sure what is the average life on the water pump pulley but it looks like theres not much that pulley can take?

belts always require visual inspection.

anwhere from 40,000 to 50,000 miles for accessory belts is normal. replace if older than 50,000 miles.
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 02:05 PM   #3
Vioz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
belts always require visual inspection.

anwhere from 40,000 to 50,000 miles for accessory belts is normal. replace if older than 50,000 miles.
yea so it was time then haha. I'm glad I noticed it really would've sucked if it failed on me in the middle of no where, I deffinatley felt a difference actually after replacing it guess I was losing some power and such.

Old 07-06-2010, 03:22 PM   #4
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
I replaced mine when my mechanic noticed a small gouge in it at just over 81k miles. Guess I got my $ worth out of the original belt.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 03:30 PM   #5
Vioz

What about the NST water pump pulley when should i replace that, I'm not sure what may happen if it fails on me because it is so worn out

Old 07-06-2010, 03:53 PM   #6
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
^ hard to say without seeing some pictures!
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 04:06 PM   #7
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
Your water pump pullie should be fine , the little grooves are from road grime landing on the outside of the belt
it's nothing major.
It's more cosmetic than anything
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 04:59 PM   #8
Vioz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1NZYaris1 View Post
Your water pump pullie should be fine , the little grooves are from road grime landing on the outside of the belt
it's nothing major.
It's more cosmetic than anything
I dont know it looks too perfect for it to be from the road and looks too deep i say its about a perfect .5 cm maybe a little less (estimate) it has made a perfect dig in lol I will take pictures one i get out of work

Old 07-06-2010, 09:35 PM   #9
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Are you sure you don't mean .5mm? I don't think the pulley is even .5cm thick. Mine has worn most of the iodized coloring off and has light grooves, but is less worn that my stock pulley was when I got that heavy POS off.

Old 07-07-2010, 12:03 AM   #10
Vioz

lol i have the pictures on my phone but i forgot to bring the cord from work to plug it into my computer....FAIL. Anyways I think I put about 35k miles on the pullies, how many miles you got on your astro?

Old 07-07-2010, 02:07 AM   #11
Astroman
Modded Moderator

53k so far. I'll take pics of mine to compare. I just replaced my original belt 2k miles ago @ 81k
Old 07-07-2010, 09:16 AM   #12
Vioz

alright so my mind is a little eased after that, i'll check the pictures out

Old 07-07-2010, 04:44 PM   #13
Vioz

LOL okay its not really .5 cm, its like .015cm or 1.5 mm or something close to there

Alright here are 3 pictures

Old 07-07-2010, 04:53 PM   #14
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Um WOW! Sure you weren't running a sanding belt or something on your pulley?? lol. Who did the install? Mine isn't anywhere NEAR that wore... I'll go take some pics now for you.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:02 PM   #15
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Here's mine. Some grooved wear, but NOTHING like what you have.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00021-20100707-1355.jpg (78.5 KB, 85 views)
Old 07-07-2010, 06:24 PM   #16
Vioz

i knew it, i deffinatley need to replace it. The belt was squeeking whenever it was wet during winter so i tightened the belt a little. Probably thats what did it :(

Damn you even still have some red left on yours lol

Old 07-07-2010, 06:34 PM   #17
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Yeah at this rate I'm figuring I'll be good at least another 550k miles, lol. You should show those pics to Mike over at NST and explain to him what happened, and why you think it did. If anything he should at least be aware of what could happen. Glad your not blaming NST for their product as others have done, way to take the high road!

Might be a good idea to pull that pulley off and put the OEM back on for now.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:39 PM   #18
Vioz

Yea doing it tomorrow, I tried to do it before but I was going to leave it for another day, I need to do it tomorrow because friday i'm driving to PA for vacation don't need my car breaking down on my on the way haha.

But no I love NST products, I never blame anyone but myself really, if something fails on me on my car I feel like it's because I didn't install it right or something, I never have a shop do work on my car unless I really need to have them do it.

Except these pullies lol I did the crank myself (note all this stuff I'm doing is completely first time experience for me) and then i had to take it to a shop for my waterpump and alt. pulley.

I'll send pics to mike tho.

I felt like the belt was too tight after a bit, I check it every time a do an oil change, a guy at a shop said to me if you can bend the belt 90 degrees from where it is now, then its tight enough, is that true?