Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-27-2017, 10:31 AM   #1
jansen.fan

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2008
Humming noise above 50 km/h. Bearing, CV joint...?

Hi Everyone,

I ran into an issue with my 2008 Yaris hatchback. The vehicle recently has started to make a vibrating noise which becomes more apparent with speed. It seems to be a combination of a low-level rumble and a louder hum which has a much lower frequency (maybe about 1Hz). Both sounds are hardly audible below 50 km/h, but become much more pronounced beyond that and are very obvious around 80 km/h.

What I have tried so far:
- I initially thought the sounds came from the right rear, so I replaced the rear right bearing hub. This did not make a difference
- I installed my winter tires. This did not make a difference.
- I have checked both front bearings for play. None is obvious.
- I tried the vibration tests (spinning the wheel and feeling for vibration in the suspension). I did not notice anything, but I turned it by hand so it may not have been fast enough to be noticeable.
- There was a slight rubbing of both disk brakes at one spot of the rotation (could this be an issue?). I removed the brake pads (and one caliper) to take out this noise and recorded this video: https://youtu.be/9pqYxC9ndJQ. There is a rumbling sound, but it appears when I turn either wheel and it appears to be coming from the passenger side inside CV joint (although locating this sounds is pretty hard). All the boots on the CV joint look good and no obvious signs of fluid leaking/spinning out. The car is an automatic and it was in neutral when the test was conducted. Is this sounds to be expected?

Do any of you have some thoughts on what it could be or what other tests I could conduct? Also, I have planned to go on a road trip for two weeks in a few days. Does this look like an issue that could become an immediate issue or would I be OK if I fixed it afterwards?

Thank you all very much! I have found many valuable answers on this forum on all other issues I've had with the vehicle, but this one has me a little stumped.
jansen.fan is offline   Reply With Quote