Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-11-2009, 12:45 AM   #37
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir A.Y. Atoyot View Post
Not a Mac. Older, command line computer.
No, I meant the apple 2 e was my first computer to play with.
I had a little mac "box" much later than the apple 2 e.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:59 AM   #38
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir A.Y. Atoyot View Post
Sure it isn't "Attitude?" You're wrong on virtually everything, but no point in going into detail. Peace!
Um...Ok. Feel free to PM me with detail.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:47 AM   #39
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altitude View Post
Um...Ok. Feel free to PM me with detail.
thank you for showing restraint and not responding to a call-out
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 02:05 AM   #40
Altitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroomster View Post
sorry about the thread hijack but any of you pc builders have an xp boot cd lying around?

I'd love to do a clean install and get rid of the friggin restore and Xp partitions.....
I have one. But you'd probably get it quicker through bittorrent. Just use your own key to install. If you don't want to do that let me know and I can burn a copy for you.

Last edited by Altitude; 09-11-2009 at 04:24 AM.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:02 AM   #41
KRAZGRL
Crazy Girl (Kasey)

Drives: 09 Yaris 3D; 05 R6; 00civic si
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan View Post
I almost disagree with you. I bought a first gen iPhone and straight out of the box, mine was defective. My bf's first gen iPhone had a portion of the screen die and BOTH of us (hardened PC users) had to get new iPhones.... I just thought it was weird that the ONE product we bought on TWO accounts were defective - coincidence??? I feel like Mac's give the illusion of quality, yes the materials are more expensive but they are all made in China and marked up just as much, mostly more than comparable PCs
I know that the iphones have had some issues. My brother has gone through several himself. HOWEVER, when I made my comment, it was strictly on my own experience and that experience is with the computers, not phones.

My experience with apples (since I was 2 years old) has been a pleasant one. I have seen them stay ahead of the game with their software and overall technology. I admire a company that is willing to take risks and put products out there that others have to copy (ipods, for example). Besides, it's always nice never having to worry about email viruses attacking my computers since there are practically none that target macs. I feel a greater sense of freedom, control, and like I have a computer that is straight forward without having to know all the little codes like the PCs I've used. I dunno... don't knock down Macs just based on their newer products like the iphone (which is still pretty bad ass). lol
KRAZGRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:18 AM   #42
nypunk
I don't wana be new again

Drives: 07 Flint Mica Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
in some ways yes.

in some ways not at all.

take the original iphone...

NOTE, the link below is NWS for verbage

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=iphone

it was way behind-the-times when it hit stores. no 3G, couldn't send MMS (still cant lol) fixed amount of storage on-board, battery not replaceable (still isn't) you have to carry a cord around if you want to sync with a computer, as opposed to the rest of us who simply hot-swap microSD cards..

all things apple are fashion accessories, designed and marketed to people who don't want to THINK about what they're doing.

you can have 1.1million Apps (and pay out the nose for all of them) for your iPhone, but when it comes time to find a taco bell in your zipcode, someone with a regular old phone will find one faster. while you're swiping your finger through pages and pages of garbage to find the app you want, i've already texted taco bell fort lauderdale to 46645 and googl has texted me back with the address and phone number

not to mention i can send that text while driving, and keeping my eyes on the road. try THAT with a touch screen of any kind

and that is my rant. no offense meant to anyone who is a fan of apple products, but the product itself is not really all that special, given the ACTUAL features available.
ok before i start I am not telling anyone to do any of the following I am just putting it out there since it is pretty much common knowledge already

yes no mms is insane I think i even saw Zach Morris send one on that huge phone he used to carry around lol

and anyone that can text can do the same to find out the location of taco bell it isn't restricted on the iphone cause i just texed the same thing to the same # and got back 3 results ? and i have no problem texting while driving not that i ever have lol

The answer is to jailbreak the iphone !!!

once you are jailbroken just about every app in the app store is avail to you for free via installous or the appulou.us web site

I can stream every song off my home comp or any other that I can get my hands on and all my pics as well using simplify media (which i didn't pay for) & I use orb live to stream all of the movies I own to my iphone ( again free) ... so right there I have no restriction on how much media I can have access to on my iphone!

You can customize ringtones as well:
http://cnettv.cnet.com/create-free-i...-50003920.html

On a jailbroken iphone or 3g you CAN record video via cycorder or iphone video recorder avail through cydia

You can voice dial via free app called vlingo and you can record voices via italk recorder and IM'ing is possible from a bunch of apps free from the app store

You can sync to any computer that has bluetooth via ibluetooth in cydia

I'm not fighting with you cause thats your opinion i'm just giving mine
Old 09-11-2009, 09:28 AM   #43
nypunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_boss View Post
my ignorance about mac make me hate them
I think that what you said is the way most people feel most people that have tried a mac at best buy or an apple store for a few min and couldn't fig it out ( because it is very different ) like the simple task of closing this window a pc user would first go right for the top right of the page where a mac user would go to the top left or an even more experienced mac user would hit command, the up arrow and W to close the window ... a mac takes practice just like everything else ... just the little things that a pc user does everyday most no longer apply ... just like when I get into my wifes automatic for the first time in like 6 months after driving my car for the same time frame I always hit the floor panel looking to get the clutch like i would in my car lol but to each his/her own
Old 09-11-2009, 11:10 AM   #44
TinyGiant
Tiny Giant Clothing

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue Yaris 3D LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by nypunk View Post
I think that what you said is the way most people feel most people that have tried a mac at best buy or an apple store for a few min and couldn't fig it out ( because it is very different ) like the simple task of closing this window a pc user would first go right for the top right of the page where a mac user would go to the top left or an even more experienced mac user would hit command, the up arrow and W to close the window ... a mac takes practice just like everything else ... just the little things that a pc user does everyday most no longer apply ... just like when I get into my wifes automatic for the first time in like 6 months after driving my car for the same time frame I always hit the floor panel looking to get the clutch like i would in my car lol but to each his/her own
you can set the swipes and pinches to do tasks too .. which i love

when on a web browser if i put two fingers on the touch pad.. it scrolls up and down.. most laptops do that.. if i swipe up with three fingers i made it close the page if i swipe down it opens a new tab

its quite amazing and makes things so fluid. what is really frustrating its going on someones PC laptop and forgetting that it doesnt have that ability.. or even worse having to use a mouse again.

I thought i would never get used to a touchpad.. let me tell you its 1million times better than a mouse now that i have the mac set to do what i want.

mac book pro for the win!
Old 09-11-2009, 11:30 AM   #45
nypunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyGiant View Post
mac book pro for the win!
+1
Old 09-11-2009, 11:33 AM   #46
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
OK here comes a long one... I apologize in advance!

What I've found with Apple regarding Macs is that they believe they are on the cutting edge as far as multimedia is concerned (video editing, 3D rendering, compositing, et al).

While this may have been true to a degree up until a few years ago, what they fail to tell you is that PCs have long been capable to run circles around Macs in terms of performance in both hardware and software areas.

The probably with PCs is often achiving true stability, which of course rarely happens because of the sheer variety of hardware components that is available, which is both the PC's strongest and weakest characteristic. One needs to do a lot of research to get it just right with PCs, as opposed to Macs (aka true plug-and-play goodness).

But how long before this limitation is dealt with by the PC camp? Three, maybe five years?

The truth is, the line separating PCs and Macs is getting thinner by the minute, and pretty soon the only real feature differentiating Macs from the rest is the really nice looking hardware, which is also an area where Apple has a strong leadership (but even that is dwindling too).

In short, I feel Apple is resting on their laurels as far as true innovation goes, while the PC camp has never been better in terms of stability and performance, and show no signs of slowing down. I think the fact that they will meet at some point is inevitable.

To conclude: Both are really really really good at what they do by anyone's standard, and we're really just splitting hairs here. We're lucky to have such great tools at our disposal either way.

Last edited by tk-421; 09-11-2009 at 11:34 AM. Reason: I'm happy as long as it runs Linux 8)
tk-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:16 PM   #47
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
Quote:
The answer is to jailbreak the iphone !!!
the x-million users of the iphone are really going to do this you think?
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 03:24 PM   #48
nypunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroomster View Post
the x-million users of the iphone are really going to do this you think?
according to wikipedia they estimate that there are 4 million jailbroken iphones and ipod touches out there (I think maybe more when you look at how many people are members of some of these jailbreak sites) plus to jailbreak your phone only takes like 15min tops

and some people don't care to be jailbroken but others like myself do for the obvious reasons
Old 09-11-2009, 03:27 PM   #49
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
so, buy your expensive phone, then modify it to make it do what my "free" phone does from the factory.. yeahhhhh
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 04:08 PM   #50
nypunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
so, buy your expensive phone, then modify it to make it do what my "free" phone does from the factory.. yeahhhhh
Mine was free from work
Old 09-11-2009, 04:56 PM   #51
the_boss

Drives: 07 YARIS HATCH 5 DOOR
Send a message via MSN to the_boss
when its free from work does it mean they own you???!!!
the_boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 05:46 PM   #52
Altitude

Quote:
Mine was free from work
What kind of company provides iPhones to its employees?
Old 09-11-2009, 05:51 PM   #53
the_boss

Drives: 07 YARIS HATCH 5 DOOR
Send a message via MSN to the_boss
Quote:
an employer that have enough money! not like mine that cut the raise due to recesson!
the_boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:13 PM   #54
nypunk

Quote:
I work for a 50 billion dollar a year fortune 50 company
and the deal they give is they'll buy you any phone but you pay for the at&t service which is discounted 20% ... and you can't miss a call lol (I don't think my phone has ever actually been off since it was taken out of the box)