Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-06-2013, 10:44 AM   #1
caper26

Drives: 2010 4D Sedan 5M w/convenience
Check Engine Light on at 32k kilometers?

Just at the title says. check Engine Light came on with 32,500 kilometers on my 2010. That's right. Very low km's, with engine light on. I had the dealer switch the oil to the upgraded synthetic (blend?) from the very first oil change. I use Lucas gas treatment occasionally. Right now my only reliable car is my 81 Z-28... My 2000 Xterra is on its 3rd major visit to the mechanic in under a year as we speak. Of course I don't want to visit the dealership which is 1/2 hr away, and spend god-knows-how-much on computer scanners, etc... That stuff should be free while it is under warranty...
Old 08-06-2013, 10:47 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
You need to have someone read the code, as there are hundreds of reasons why it could come on (from as benign as loose gas cap). Most auto parts stores will read codes for no charge.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:00 AM   #3
caper26

#1 and #4 cylinder misfire, and a corresponding 'random' misfire code.
wtf? Code is cleared for a couple days now, but I noticed my mileage went to pot about 9 months after I bought the car (which corresponded to fall/winter in Canada). Need to get an oil change soon so I will talk to the dealship and see what they say about it. Hate paying for detailed diagnostics when I have an extended warranty which should cover that sort of crap.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:16 AM   #4
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Most auto parts stores will read codes for no charge.
That's an American luxury. Very hard pressed in Canada to find someone who will not soak you for an easy $100 to plug in a code reader.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:03 PM   #5
barryware

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
car is still under warranty.. no?
barryware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:09 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by caper26 View Post
#1 and #4 cylinder misfire, and a corresponding 'random' misfire code.
wtf? Code is cleared for a couple days now, but I noticed my mileage went to pot about 9 months after I bought the car (which corresponded to fall/winter in Canada). Need to get an oil change soon so I will talk to the dealship and see what they say about it. Hate paying for detailed diagnostics when I have an extended warranty which should cover that sort of crap.
Typically that is caused by spark plug or coil issues. My bet is fouled plugs from some bad gas.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:47 PM   #7
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
That's an American luxury. Very hard pressed in Canada to find someone who will not soak you for an easy $100 to plug in a code reader.
just to let u know our pc with build in code reader and everything else possible that one can do to a toyota is $ 6k to buy we got 3 of them...anyone is welcome to buy a cheap just code reader at CT...that is once choice but as for free i dont agree...the place pays good money for the equipment i pay crazy money for my tools went to school also...so what makes u think it should be free ..warrant will cover lots ...but dont expect anyone to do anything free.

just my 2 cents on this ....at least we will get it right the first time not like ur average shop.
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 03:17 PM   #8
barryware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiwolfman View Post
just to let u know our pc with build in code reader and everything else possible that one can do to a toyota is $ 6k to buy we got 3 of them...anyone is welcome to buy a cheap just code reader at CT...that is once choice but as for free i dont agree...the place pays good money for the equipment i pay crazy money for my tools went to school also...so what makes u think it should be free ..warrant will cover lots ...but dont expect anyone to do anything free.

just my 2 cents on this ....at least we will get it right the first time not like ur average shop.
In the US.. ALL the parts stores will read your codes for free.. They do this so you will buy the repair parts needed to correct the problem. Most other shops (Sears, Midas Muffler, etc.) will also read the codes for free in hopes you will let them fix the problem.

Most can only read the ECM.. Any of the other computers on the car (power steering, body, A/C, etc.) takes the techstream or some other sophisticated, expensive head tool which some shops have, and some do not.

My 2 cents..
Old 10-11-2013, 04:05 PM   #9
WeeYari

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryware View Post
In the US.. ALL the parts stores will read your codes for free.. They do this so you will buy the repair parts needed to correct the problem. Most other shops (Sears, Midas Muffler, etc.) will also read the codes for free in hopes you will let them fix the problem.
^ This.

I can't tell you how many times a Canadian on this site has posted concerning check engine light, and they will almost always get a 'most auto parts (ie. AutoZone) will scan for free' response.

We don't have AutoZone here with the closest comparable being PartsSource and NAPA. Both these operations do not extend this service under the hope that you will buy your parts from them. The closest we do get is the periodic special run by some shops who will wave the diagnostic fee if you have them perform the necessary repairs. Otherwise, it is pay for the read + parts + labour.

I'm not dumping here, just pointing out that the free diagnostic from your local parts store is not an applicable response for us.

Last edited by WeeYari; 10-11-2013 at 04:38 PM.
WeeYari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:49 AM   #10
barryware

Quote:
^ This.

I can't tell you how many times a Canadian on this site has posted concerning check engine light, and they will almost always get a 'most auto parts (ie. AutoZone) will scan for free' response.

We don't have AutoZone here with the closest comparable being PartsSource and NAPA. Both these operations do not extend this service under the hope that you will buy your parts from them. The closest we do get is the periodic special run by some shops who will wave the diagnostic fee if you have them perform the necessary repairs. Otherwise, it is pay for the read + parts + labour.

I'm not dumping here, just pointing out that the free diagnostic from your local parts store is not an applicable response for us.
Fair enough.. Another option would be to purchase a code reader. I see some pretty cheap ones but if the problem is anywhere other than the ecu (trans, body, power steering, etc..) it won't tell you much.

You could also purchase a device that does more than read codes. I bought a scanguage II and it is always connected to my yaris. My car does not have a tach so I bought it just for that. It gives all kinds of info and reads / clears codes (but not anything other than the ecu).

Since, I bought an additional cable so I can use it to read codes on other cars without having to dig out the cable that is installed in my yaris. It seems I read the codes on one car (for fun mostly), and I have now turned into the neighborhood / family code reader.

Then.. you have to interpret the code to pinpoint the problem. Sometimes, it is best to just bring it in.

The OP states he has low mileage and the car is a 2010. It was also indicated that the car is under warranty. They charge for reading codes in Canada when the car is under warranty?

My yaris came with a 36k mile / 3 year warranty which is pretty poor. Not unlike the Honda's though.

My wifes GM car came with a 4 year / 50k mile warranty (bumper to bumper) and 100k on the engine and drive train.

What about battery testing... Do the stores in Canada charge for a battery test?
Old 10-12-2013, 11:35 AM   #11
WeeYari

Quote:
Fair enough.. Another option would be to purchase a code reader. I see some pretty cheap ones but if the problem is anywhere other than the ecu (trans, body, power steering, etc..) it won't tell you much.
I personally have one.

Quote:
Since, I bought an additional cable so I can use it to read codes on other cars without having to dig out the cable that is installed in my yaris. It seems I read the codes on one car (for fun mostly), and I have now turned into the neighborhood / family code reader.
Likewise. Since getting mine, I have done approx. $700 worth or reads.

Quote:
They charge for reading codes in Canada when the car is under warranty?
Usually, yes.

Quote:
What about battery testing... Do the stores in Canada charge for a battery test?
Some do, some don't
Old 10-12-2013, 12:23 PM   #12
Neurotic Hapi Snak

Drives: 2011 Yaris 3dr
Quote:

You could also purchase a device that does more than read codes. I bought a scanguage II and it is always connected to my yaris. My car does not have a tach so I bought it just for that. It gives all kinds of info and reads / clears codes (but not anything other than the ecu).

Then.. you have to interpret the code to pinpoint the problem. Sometimes, it is best to just bring it in.

The OP states he has low mileage and the car is a 2010. It was also indicated that the car is under warranty. They charge for reading codes in Canada when the car is under warranty?

My yaris came with a 36k mile / 3 year warranty which is pretty poor. Not unlike the Honda's though.

My wifes GM car came with a 4 year / 50k mile warranty (bumper to bumper) and 100k on the engine and drive train.

Toyota also has an extended powertrain warranty, 5 years/ 60k miles.
Neurotic Hapi Snak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 12:46 PM   #13
barryware

Quote:
Quote:
They charge for reading codes in Canada when the car is under warranty?
Usually, yes.
Boy oh boy.. I would have a problem with that.. My car is under warranty.. CEL came on.. Fix it!
Old 10-14-2013, 01:53 PM   #14
caper26

Quote:
car is still under warranty.. no?
Yes. Bought the extended warranty to 5 years
Old 10-14-2013, 01:57 PM   #15
caper26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiwolfman View Post

Scan should be free as a loyal customer who will get the repairs or parts at that shop.
When you get a brake job, do they charge you "diagnostic fees" of $30 to tell you that you need new brakes? No.
We pay mechanics to find the problem and fix it. Just because they want to use a computer at MY expense, doesn't sit right with me.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:00 PM   #16
caper26

Quote:
Boy oh boy.. I would have a problem with that.. My car is under warranty.. CEL came on.. Fix it!
Yes, that is my beef.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:20 PM   #17
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
if you got a smart phone you can get a code reader for under $25.. elm327 bluetooth or wifi.. works flawlessly...

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the object. Torque is how far you move that object.."
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:21 PM   #18
caper26

I had the codes read with OBD II. It was misfire on 2 & 4, and random misfire codes. Wondering what I should do now.