Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-08-2012, 12:07 PM   #19
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikerice View Post
Depending on the gain this will have, if proven alot, I may look into going F Street Prepared, lol

Looks awesome. hope this works out.
It'll work all right... I just don't know how well it will work.

I think the gain if any at all will be slight... because the throttle body and the engine on each end of that manifold will still be exactly the same.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:43 PM   #20
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
^ It is possible to speed up the air traveling through an opening fixed in size, if the previous manifold isn't optimized for air flow.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:02 PM   #21
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
^ It is possible to speed up the air traveling through an opening fixed in size, if the previous manifold isn't optimized for air flow.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:04 PM   #22
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:24 PM   #23
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Yes. And I'm figuring that the air flow of the stock manifold is very well optimized for efficiency and driveability in the lower rpm ranges.

It would be difficult to beat that because once they start with computer simulations and molding plastic intakes it's perfectly feasible to form them into any configuration without limitation.

Even though the Corolla manifold is made to supply an engine which is 20% larger than the Yaris, it's highly unlikely that it would flow any better under normal everyday driving conditions.

The only advantage I can see (besides it looking really cool ) is the runners being in direct line with the axis of the throttle body.

It's strange how that tube extends straight out from behind the TB and into the plenum...

It's 2 1/2 inches long and terminates 2 1/2 inches away from the runner intakes. There may be some harmonic flow principle behind making those two measurements equal, because you'd normally think they'd simply make the throttle body dump straight into the open plenum.

All this stuff positively fascinates me, and it's no end of fun to explore.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:57 PM   #24
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

Drives: Absolute Red 2009 Yaris HB
I would get a drimal and clean up that corrosion^ maybe smooth it out a little.
mods:15''Drag DR21 w/Nitto NeoGen 205/50R15, Tanabe DF210 lowering springs 1.6/1.8, TRD Rear Sway Bar, Tanabe Front Sway Bar, Micro Image Short Throw Shift Kit (both in and under), 8.64lbs flywheel, F1 Stage 4 Clutch, AEM Cold Air Intake (Red), Megan Racing Header, DC Sports Axle Back Exhaust, Micro Image Crank Pulley, NST lite Alternator Pulley, ARP Manifold Stud Kit,Tanabe Front Strut Tower Brace, ScanGuage II, Micro Image Silicone Radiator Hose Kit (Red), NRG Carbon Fiber Shift Knob (round), 2009-2011 Toyota Yaris Liftback Foglight kit, NRG Grounding Kit (Red), Hella Horns(Red),CF Hood
Golddeenoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:07 PM   #25
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
making fun of the couple companies out there that claim what they do about much better airflow with those tornado gadgets.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:19 PM   #26
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

oh yeah those things... lol
Old 06-08-2012, 07:49 PM   #27
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddeenoh View Post
I would get a drimal and clean up that corrosion^ maybe smooth it out a little.
The black is just accumulated layers of unburnt hydrocarbons that repeatedly got cooked over the many years of the manifold's life. I'll be spraying the whole insides with engine degreaser and hosing it out. Can't get inside there with a Dremel. The hole is way too small and the runners are too deep inside the plenum.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:20 AM   #28
tooter
play every day

Saw this pic of a thick custom made intake flange on the Micro forum...

I tried tapping with ball peen hammer on the inside of the runner to flare the opening with some success. But instead of risking denting or deforming the runners, a thick flange like this one with a few extra beads of weld on the misaligned areas will provide plenty of room to smooth the transition from the inside with a grinder between the runners and the engine intakes.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:07 PM   #29
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

Drives: Absolute Red 2009 Yaris HB
^ I need one of those to go with my prius pistons :D
mods:15''Drag DR21 w/Nitto NeoGen 205/50R15, Tanabe DF210 lowering springs 1.6/1.8, TRD Rear Sway Bar, Tanabe Front Sway Bar, Micro Image Short Throw Shift Kit (both in and under), 8.64lbs flywheel, F1 Stage 4 Clutch, AEM Cold Air Intake (Red), Megan Racing Header, DC Sports Axle Back Exhaust, Micro Image Crank Pulley, NST lite Alternator Pulley, ARP Manifold Stud Kit,Tanabe Front Strut Tower Brace, ScanGuage II, Micro Image Silicone Radiator Hose Kit (Red), NRG Carbon Fiber Shift Knob (round), 2009-2011 Toyota Yaris Liftback Foglight kit, NRG Grounding Kit (Red), Hella Horns(Red),CF Hood
Golddeenoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:23 PM   #30
tooter
play every day

That's beautiful for a scratch built manifold. It says: Go Fast.

While I'm still waiting to receive the stock manifold before the project can proceed, I did manage to clean up the insides of the manifold...

...with a combination of engine degreaser and brake cleaner. Just a personal peeve, I can't stand working with dirty parts.

Last edited by tooter; 06-10-2012 at 09:39 PM.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:12 PM   #31
tooter
play every day

Just got the stock manifold today in absolutely pristine condition.
Thanks, 90tsi for selling me yours.

Now there's an accurate frame of reference for clearances, throttle body stud spacing and such. Next up is a trip to the machine shop.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:19 PM   #32
packetrace

Drives: Yaris Sedan 2009
where did you took the corolla intake manifold ?
Exterior:RTX scorpion painted GOLD, side and rear visor, oem spoiler, MI mesh grill, Hella supertone horn, RS badge, Vios badge, CF pillar, Led mirror cover, fog light HID 3000k, Projector retrofit HID 8000K
Performance :MI CrankPulley, Tein springs, UR and TRD bar, TURBO IN PROGRESS
Audio : Pionner DEH-80PRS, HAT L1V2, PowerBass 1100.5X 5 channel amp
packetrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:38 PM   #33
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
Now there's an accurate frame of reference for clearances, throttle body stud spacing and such. Next up is a trip to the machine shop.
Would you be willing to share those numbers? I'd be happy to put them on to the CAD drawing and re-post it. Oh, I already have the throttle body template sketched. Now where did that one go... Aah, there it is. The bolt pattern is identical to the 1.5L TB, but the bore is smaller (on the 1.5L).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TB_flange.pdf (25.1 KB, 168 views)
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:43 PM   #34
tooter
play every day

Bought it on Ebay.
They're pretty common as toyota used them for years on a couple different models.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:16 AM   #35
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
Would you be willing to share those numbers? I'd be happy to put them on to the CAD drawing and re-post it. Oh, I already have the throttle body template sketched. Now where did that one go... Aah, there it is. The bolt pattern is identical to the 1.5L TB, but the bore is smaller (on the 1.5L).
Sure, Cranky...

Which measurements would you like?

The Yaris manifold bore is 48mm whereas the Corolla is 50mm.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:30 AM   #36
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Doh, I should have been more specific, eh? The bolt pattern for the head-side of the intake. I made some educated guesses on my CAD model, but haven't actually measured them.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote