Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-10-2009, 11:38 PM   #1
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
DIY Change Your Interior Light Grey Panels to Black

To continue my "No Cost" to "Low Cost" of DIY's, I'd like to share one for changing the interior light grey panels of the standard Yaris to black. These panels are located on the doors, visors, rear quarter panel area, etc. The Sport Edition comes with black panels already in place, and can put a huge dent in your wallet if you buy the pieces from the dealer. Here is a low cost way to change the color to black and only takes about 20 minutes to complete after you have removed the items from your car. The best part is, there is no paint involved and no vinyl to screw up. Here's how it works.

I had this idea stuffed so far down my memory lane, they changed the lane to a highway and sold my house. When I was teenager, I use to build RC cars and race them. When I would buy parts that were made of plastic, they usually came in white only. In order to make the parts last without painting them, we dyed the parts using RIT fabric dye. This dye can be found at any grocery store, usually in the household cleaner sections.

Now onto how it works. This DIY was put together based on the knowledge I had for RC cars only. The material used for those parts was usually a nylon type, but dying the parts would work the same way. I chose to do a small part just for your viewing pleasure. Large scale parts such as the panels in the rear of the car will be discussed and you will be instructed on how to tackle these after the DIY.

Items you need to gather before starting:

~ 1 package of RIT Fabric Dye -Black
~ Part/parts to be dyed
~ 1 old pot to dye part/parts in
~ Plastic spoon or old spoon
~ 1 old pair of tongs or do like I did and use a hanger I had leftover from the drycleaner
~ Paper towels
~ The "A-OK" to move forward from your wife/girlfriend/husband/boyfriend/mother/father and the list could go on for days. Just make sure your don't ruin the good stuff in the process

Step one -- Remove the part/parts you intend to dye:

I chose to dye a small part for the DIY so that it was easier to work with and show how easy it is. The visor cover was a great small part for this job

Step two -- Chose a old pot that you won't get in trouble for using to dye your parts. I chose to use a 2 quart pot that I had laying in the back of the cabinet and will never use again unless Charles is coming over for dinner

Step three -- Now that you have everything ready to go, you need to fill your pot with water and bring it to a boil. Make sure not to overfill the pot as we do not want the pot to boil over.

Step four -- After you have brought the water to a boil, empty the contents of the package into the boiling water. You may need to lower the heat, but still to a boil in order not to boil over. I only used about a 1/4 of the package, which is plenty enough for these two parts. It would last about 50 parts in the long run, so a package can go a long way. Use your plastic spoon or old spoon to stir in the powder.

Step five -- Place the items in the boiling water. Use your tongs or homemade tongs like the ones below to place them in the water and to check them during the process. The longer you allow them to boil, the darker the color will become. Check on them after 2 minutes to see how the color is coming along. You may not notice it right away, but after about 10 minutes in the boiling water, the part/parts have pretty much turned the desired black we are looking for, close enough to match with the rest of the interior trim.

Step six -- Remove your parts from the boiling water and place on a paper towel. Turn off the boiling water and proceed to run your parts under cold water. Without going into details of how and why this should be done, here is the Cliff Notes version.....Molecules -- heating something makes them expand and cooling them makes them contract. It's better for the plastic and the dye, lol.

Step seven -- Your part/parts have undergone the nip/tuck of all DIY's at a low cost, and looks awesome.

Step eight -- Take your newly dyed part/parts back out to your car and see the dramatic difference you've been able to create with just a few bucks, rather that spending hundreds and hundreds of dollars to buy new interior pieces. This photo shows you just how well the dye takes to the plastic.

Well, there you go! Now, how do you tackle the larger pieces you might ask? First I might mention that if you are going to proceed with this DIY, you want all your pieces to be consistant in color from the same batch of dye. For all my pieces, I am using a large burner from my home brewing station to boil water in an Aluminum trash Can. The trash can and burner are within a very small budget. My burner cost me about 25 bucks and runs on Propane. Used ones could go for less, but the point is it's cheap, you just have to look for them on the internet and classifieds. get about 6 boxes of Dye and follow the DIY above. The longer you boil them, the better the color, but at the same time, you do not want to warp your pieces, so constant checking and turning is a must. You need to do this in a well lite area outside and make sure no children are around. If you've ever deep fried a turkey, the same precautions apply here. Safety first! In about 10 to 20 minutes, you have a complete new color matched interior. You may choose to do other colors from RIT as well, just remember that it might not turn out the exact color you want in the end so test a small part such as the one above in the DIY to make sure the part is to your liking. Good luck and please be safe in doing any of this.

Last edited by KCALB SIRAY; 08-24-2009 at 10:33 AM.
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 11:46 PM   #2
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

It will not run or bleed as it is perm. It's pretty much the same way as if it were done at the factory, just instead of adding the dye during the manufacturing process, I've added it after. Still, will not come off as it is now part of the plastic.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:52 PM   #3
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
some good ol' home cooking lessons with Mike

Seriously, this is good stuff, the same technique had been used in the world of customizing computers (way back before they came in black or colored cases) and is way more durable than paint, because like a tattoo, the dye is absorbed into the plastic.

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 01:13 AM   #4
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
some good ol' home cooking lessons with Mike
LOL.

Nice job Mike.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 11:44 PM   #5
Rain
help! my Yaris shrunk!

Drives: 12 Hot Lava iQ/07 Jade Vios
Can you use other colors?
Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 07:18 PM   #6
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain View Post
Can you use other colors?
Yep, you can but... I'd suggest you test a small part like the cover I did. Thomas is right, the color will be blended with the light grey color to be the new color so this will have to be taken into account. Next weekend I will hopefully have time to do everything else. (closes eyes and mental pictures pop up) I can see it now, not too far into the future, Yaris meets with people standing around what looks to be a big vat of chili, lol, everyone dipping there panels into the boiling water
Old 04-11-2009, 11:52 PM   #7
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
yes you could but remember the color will blend in with the original gray of the part, so any other colors may look kinda dull/dark

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 11:54 PM   #8
frownonfun

Drives: 09 Yaris HB, 08 SR5 Tundra
gosh this write up is quite interesting.
frownonfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 03:34 PM   #9
Pitt Yaris

Drives: Flint Mica Sedan
That's pretty awesome.
Pitt Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 07:22 PM   #10
Rain
help! my Yaris shrunk!

Drives: 12 Hot Lava iQ/07 Jade Vios
^ Somehow, I am disturbed by that picture lol
Don't do it in IA :P
Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 07:23 PM   #11
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

which one, the big pot? lol
Old 04-21-2009, 03:49 PM   #12
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
As I read through your DIY, I kept thinking that the boiling water may actually change the shape of a plastic part.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:52 PM   #13
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCALB SIRAY View Post
Well, there you go! Now, how do you tackle the larger pieces you might ask? First I might mention that if you are going to proceed with this DIY, you want all your pieces to be consistant in color from the same batch of dye. For all my pieces, I am using a large burner from my home brewing station to boil water in an Aluminum trash Can. The trash can and burner are within a very small budget. My burner cost me about 25 bucks and runs on Propane. Used ones could go for less, but the point is it's cheap, you just have to look for them on the internet and classifieds. get about 6 boxes of Dye and follow the DIY above. The longer you boil them, the better the color, but at the same time, you do not want to warp your pieces, so constant checking and turning is a must. You need to do this in a well lite area outside and make sure no children are around. If you've ever deep fried a turkey, the same precautions apply here. Safety first! In about 10 to 20 minutes, you have a complete new color matched interior. You may choose to do other colors from RIT as well, just remember that it might not turn out the exact color you want in the end so test a small part such as the one above in the DIY to make sure the part is to your liking. Good luck and please be safe in doing any of this.

That's why I said you have to stir and keep an eye on it. Most are ABS and will withstand the heat. You'd have to leave it the water for quit a long time for it to deform the shape. It only takes a few minutes for the color to change so no worries.

Last edited by KCALB SIRAY; 04-21-2009 at 04:05 PM.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:11 PM   #14
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
That's wild! I never realized that RIT would work on plastics. Their website even says that it will.

As far as overdying goes, they even have a chart that says what colors you can achieve when dying objects of specific colors. Grey for example can yield Dark Green, Dark Brown, Navy Blue, or Black:

http://www.ritdye.com/Questions.50.lasso

When you do your full run, can you throw in a scrap piece of white or beige ABS? I'd like to see a cross section after dying to see how far the dye penetrates.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 04:18 PM   #15
rningonfumes

Drives: Yaris Sedan 5MT
This is one helluva diy, I vote for a definite Sticky as it has so many applications.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:47 PM   #16
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Quote:
Originally Posted by rningonfumes View Post
This is one helluva diy, I vote for a definite Sticky as it has so many applications.
Thanks for the vote
Old 04-21-2009, 04:25 PM   #17
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

No problem. Thanks for the input and link to the site
Old 04-21-2009, 05:18 PM   #18
wiirenet

Drives: Black '09 2dr HB
Send a message via MSN to wiirenet
This is awesome, "I can see it now, not too far into the future, Yaris meets with people standing around what looks to be a big vat of chili, lol, everyone dipping there panels into the boiling water"
please come to chicago to do this lmao..
wiirenet is offline   Reply With Quote